cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error 821.. why new subscribers can still activate with the same SIM multiple times

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@J_PM 

Are you aware that Error 821 does not stop people from activating with the same SIM after?   The bigger issues is that people activated multiple phamtom accounts and got charged multiple times

It is not good. Activation is the first encounter for many people with PM and they already have bad experience.  Error is ok, but when you charged them multiple times, that bad memory will certainly last forever.

Would you have your developer to go back and review the flow after Error 821?  Why there is no mechanism to stop people from activate again with the same SIM card?  I though there is a SIM check in the activation portal to stop people from activate currently active SIM or old cancelled SIM

20 REPLIES 20

Alexandre22
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Thank for sources ! 

@darlicious   from the couple I worked with, the SIM actually were provisioned...

of course whatever that reason behind, my purpose of this post is to hopefully have PM to look into it and find ways to stop people to try activate again (either with an hour lock for using the SIM for activation or with a meaningful error message)

@softech 

I think the problem occurs when at the payment stage You get the error code because the sim card does not provision to the account. The account gets activated, the payment goes thru but the sim card as far as its concerned is as fresh as a daisy. So if the customer goes back and tries to activate again the sim card as far as the activation portal reads it is unactivated because it's not provisioned to anything.

Now most likely the glitch lies solely within the activation portal which may or may not provision the sim card on the second or third attempt or as one customer complained about it took 8 attempts to finally activate the "account" resulting in 8 plan amount credit card charges.

I don't see why it would relate to error imputting the IMEI when requesting a port? The "wrong" info wouldn't even be sent yet by the time you get the error message at the payment stage. The activation portal doesn't know whether or not you entered the correct IMEI only your previous provider knows that info when they recieve the port request and compare the IMEI listed in your account with the one entered in the port request.

To contact customer support click below:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #.

@esjliv   There were multiple charges, not pending.

and yes, look like SIM was able to activate multiple times for whatever reason , the one hour lock was no longer there.

Again, this post is meant to ask Jade to go back and confirm why 821 error caused all this issue and hope to avoid this from happening again.

@softech wrote:

@esjliv wrote:

@softech  - do you know if users getting this message are FOR SURE are getting charged twice = two Authorized charges ? And, not the pending vs authorized delay, or waiting period credit card companies normally show in customer's transactions during verification processes?

@esjliv   I won't say for sure.  One reason, for those who didn't get charged twice, if any, they might not come and open a post here.  🙂

But many of those with Error 821, they came back and told us they got charged more than once after they went back the try activate again

And if even if only some of them getting Error 821 and went back reattempt activation got charged more than once, I think it is alarming.  

From what I understand at the stage Error 821, PM already got the line activated and the error was merely porting error message.  The error page should show something like "Your line is now activated but some of your porting information was missing, please contact CS Agent.." or something like that

@softech  -

The pending vs authorized would be a good stat to know in these cases, for sure.

I have had pending charges for many days on my online credit card transactions, and knew those can't be right. Then sure enough, they would go away once the real one authorized (not just Public Mobile, mind you).

I thought if the SIM card was already activated, entering it in again will produce an error and not allow the user to go any further?

Are you saying this does not happen any longer?

@Anonymous wrote:

@esjliv 

is not wrong if you do it in a month one time.

@Anonymous  - i wouldn't say it is wrong. True, it will do no harm. But, I will say likely unnecessary.

But, the point I was trying to make, is, suggesting that someone restart their modem/internet wifi device is not very good advice on the issues many people are asking here at Public Mobile.

@esjliv wrote:

@softech  - do you know if users getting this message are FOR SURE are getting charged twice = two Authorized charges ? And, not the pending vs authorized delay, or waiting period credit card companies normally show in customer's transactions during verification processes?

@esjliv   I won't say for sure.  One reason, for those who didn't get charged twice, if any, they might not come and open a post here.  🙂

But many of those with Error 821, they came back and told us they got charged more than once after they went back the try activate again

And if even if only some of them getting Error 821 and went back reattempt activation got charged more than once, I think it is alarming.  

From what I understand at the stage Error 821, PM already got the line activated and the error was merely porting error message.  The error page should show something like "Your line is now activated but some of your porting information was missing, please contact CS Agent.." or something like that

Anonymous
Not applicable

@esjliv 

is not wrong if you do it in a month one time.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@Anonymous if you have to unplug your modem from the power source or ethernet cables as often as it sounds like you do, then I think you may need a technician from your internet provider to make a service call to your location.

In most cases, when you are suggesting this advice, it makes no sense. Now, unless the customer is saying my wifi is dropping or I cannot load any website pages (not just 1 public mobile site or function), then yes, perhaps that suggestion may be warranted.

I mean this to sound as helpful advice. 

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@softech 

A heads up warning message to check your payment card if you entered your card details and if a payment charge from public mobile or KOODO REAPPROV appears then go to the community for help and/or contact customer support would go a long way in allieviating both of these issues. 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@softech 

sorry you send to anyone you like,,, i just saying that.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

thanks for your comment @Anonymous .  But if you read this post carefully,  this post was intended for Jade to aware of the situation.  And this is NOT a general browser issue but as I said earlier.

The proper way to resolve Error 821 is NOT to close browser and retry as it will fall into the issue or multiple account creation and charged multiple times

The proper solution is to ask user NOT to try activating again.  Instead ask the user to open a ticket with PM an reverse all the overcharges and also provide the proper porting information.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@softech 

you call it BAD Suggestion. but for any new customer or anyone when the do close all Browser and do clear cache and cookies for any Browser,

and try open one Browser incognito mode. is not show them that Error code. and more one think some member not like to do for home internet take your power internet off for about

a 1 minute and put it back on,to refreshing your network.(if neededThis is also very important but for others nothing and they don't know what's going on and don't understand anything they just talk about disgusting

.. for the Error code 821 is call the Server issue or slow to access the extensive data cache in the database, is will cost problems between user and Server is the getting Error code..

softech
Oracle
Oracle

If you just randomly Google and try to reply 

821 error could also be "I got on live chat and turns out error code 821 means US trade has been suspended. Hope this helps anyone else with this problem."  Maybe just wait till trade resume 

(source: Support page for Kraken Digital Asset Exchange)

@darlicious wrote:

@softech 

Yes pm is aware as I noted in the other thread....pm removed the fail safe because customers complained about the activation portal 1 hour lock out.

They think the 1 hour lock out will anger people more than charging them 2 , 3 , 4 or more times?  What a brilliant decision.  🤔

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Anonymous   if you suggest new subscriber to close all browser an try again, this will exactly lead to creation of a duplicated, phantom account and PM charges the person again.  BAD Suggestion.

Error 821 from the activation portal, as far as i know, is because of porting information supplied was incoorect.  It happens many times when people used IMEI but the system was looking for account number.   It could be from other situation too but from the many I helped, that was the main reason of 821 error

You have been here long enough, if you read and reply, you should know the 821 error I talked about is not a computer error for cache

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@softech 

Yes pm is aware as I noted in the other thread....pm removed the fail safe because customers complained about the activation portal 1 hour lock out.

0PX9O4
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

LOL that's hilarious! ☝🏽 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

@softech 

Error 821 occurs when Adaptive Server attempts to remove a nonexistent or corrupted page from the data cache. Some potential causes of this error are: ... An Adaptive Server problem (such as can occur when using the dump transaction with no_log command after a period of heavy user activity in the database).

always i suggest to close all Browser and do clear cache and cookies for any Browser,

and try open one Browser incognito mode.

0PX9O4
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Yep, this monkey business has been going on for a good number of years with PM. I don't know what's so difficult about setting up an automated activation system that works almost all the time (as opposed to some of the time, for some of the people), if your entire business depends on it.

Need Help? Let's chat.