cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

End of public mobile?

Malvo270
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I was told today after I bought top up vouchers that public mobile is shutting down service next month. Has anyone else heard anything about this?

11 REPLIES 11

HI @ricardo37  Rumors from sales without proper training just never stop

Even PM is terminating operations in October and the insider news is real, they are just migrating customers to Telus' other brand Koodo, why would PM stops selling sim card and now allow new subscribers to join?  There is nothing to loss to sell more, they just migrate more later and Koodo will have a 1 more customers by October.

Reality, London drug is not allowed to activate PM accounts anymore, so, PM no longer sending "free" sim card to London Drugs and London Drugs also have no incentive to see only the sim card even they still have one or two in the drawers

ricardo37

I tried to buy a Public Mobile SIM card at London Drugs today. The tech informed me they were no longer allowed to sell SIMs for Public Mobile because in October the company will be terminating operations, with all users automatically being migrated to Koodo.

alleyjoy73

Hi,

No, I haven't head anything about this. My guess is that if it were to happen, Public Mobile would probably send a direct email (plus with the recent start of the points system, I think it would be unlikely that they would shut down so soon after starting a new program).

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Meow wrote:

How would you define 3rd, 2nd, 1st tier in mobile service?

@Meow define?  Well, 1st tier is where you get all the latest innovations, bells and whistles, albeit at a premium price.  3rd tier is a bare-bones "starter" brand with the least number of features at generally the cheapest price point.  2nd tier is somewhere in the middle of the two above.  Ideally the big 3 would like everyone to be 1st tier customers as those bring in the most annual revenue, but they'd rather have you as a 2nd or 3rd tier customer than a customer of any tier of one of their competitors; they also hope you will move up the value chain over time as your needs and means change.

Telus brands:

1st tier: Telus Mobility

2nd tier: Koodo

3rd tier:  PM

Bell brands:

1st: Bell 

2nd: Virgin Mobile

3rd: Lucky

Rogers family:

1st: Rogers

2nd: Fido

3rd: Chatr

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

JL9
Mayor / Maire

It would nice if they could just modernize a little and get with the times...let that take the place of the fully shutting down rumour....that would be a pleasant surprise.

Meow
Mayor / Maire

@pkaraa wrote:

2) Shutting down PM was a gig to enroll more n more accounts and then move to 2nd tier to get more from the expensive plans?

How would you define 3rd, 2nd, 1st tier in mobile service?

pkaraa
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Both scenarios :

1) shutting down retail activation and only allow online activations as most of the stores doesnt have any interest in doing it anyway.

2) Shutting down PM was a gig to enroll more n more accounts and then move to 2nd tier to get more from the expensive plans?

@dust2dust wrote:

This rumour comes up every now and again. Nothing has been announced. They are apparently moving more online though with stores no longer activating. AFAIK. Maybe a rumour too.

I hardly think they would close up shop with a big announcement though.

This isn't a rumor.  The information was leaked at the retail level.

@Malvo270 wrote:

I was told today after I bought top up vouchers that public mobile is shutting down service next month. Has anyone else heard anything about this?

This is false.  The only change will be of teh shutdown of retail operations. Activations will alll be done by the customer online.  Someone might ask why such a change would be made and think that's an indication of Public Mobile shutting down. People also said this several years ago. The shutdown of retail locations is simply Public Mobile more closely following the business model that they original had after Telus purchased the brand.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

This rumour comes up every now and again. Nothing has been announced. They are apparently moving more online though with stores no longer activating. AFAIK. Maybe a rumour too.

I hardly think they would close up shop with a big announcement though.

JK8
Mayor / Maire

@Malvo270 

I think activations at retail stores are ending and all activations have to be done online now.

https://mobilesyrup.com/2022/05/04/public-mobile-100-ercent-online-only/

Need Help? Let's chat.