cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dual SIM phone - things to know

FBR
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi all,

Just thought I'd share with you some knowledge I've gained from using dual SIM phone for the past 8 years.

1. Dual SIM slot data support: most newer phones (2 year or newer?) can support data 3G/4G/LTE on both sim slots. However, some older phones only support 2G in the 2nd slot (e.g. Asus Zenfone)

2. Using data while on call: assuming your phone supports data on both slots, whichever SIM slot you are making the call with, will cause the other SIM to disconnect data.

e.g. SIM 1 - call, SIM 2 - data, or reverse

** To use data while on an active call, either SIM must handle both the call AND data.

I apologize if this is common knowledge to some.

Feel free to add any quirks or experiences to this post.

8 REPLIES 8

Mccallumj
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

The Telus Sim is in slot 1 and PM is in slot 2. They both texted and will make calls out and receive calls. When SIMs are reversed nothing works. I have data on Sim 1 with telus and that works. When PM Sim is in slot 1 with nothing in the other slot  or a Sim in the other it doesn't connect to internet or mobile data.

Does Telus and PM used the same APN

FBR

@Mccallumj wrote:

It seems you have some knowledge of the Dual SIM and  the Asus zenZenf max plus. What do I need to do to get the PM sim to work in my Asus Zenfone Max plus. I can text and can send text messages (sms) from the sim. The issue is the data doesn't work.  I was ready to cancel the account and stick with telus account because I can't find any help. I dealt with Telus, Asus, best buy, wow and no help

@Mccallumj 

According to Asus official specs here: https://www.asus.com/ca-en/Phone/ZenFone-Max-Plus-M1/Tech-Specs/

The phone supports 3G/4G/LTE on both slots. So I would test the following:

1. PM plan settings (do you have a data plan?)

2. APN settings

3. Trying different SIM slots (maybe one slot is defective?)

4. Trying different phone

The results from each test will give you more hints as to what's wrong.

Hope this helps!

Mccallumj
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

It seems you have some knowledge of the Dual SIM and  the Asus zenZenf max plus. What do I need to do to get the PM sim to work in my Asus Zenfone Max plus. I can text and can send text messages (sms) from the sim. The issue is the data doesn't work.  I was ready to cancel the account and stick with telus account because I can't find any help. I dealt with Telus, Asus, best buy, wow and no help

Darren4

Good to hear that it doesn't affect battery life. Keep up the good work. 

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Darren4 wrote:

How does having two Sims affect battery life? Two Sims sends like a good idea until you think about battery life.  

@Darren4 most dual SIM phones are dual-standby, meaning you can only set one as your active data connection, while both can be actively on standby waiting for calls and texts.  My OnePlus 5T is dual-standby, as was my OnePlus 3 before it, and I have not noticed much difference whether I have one or both SIMs active.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Darren4

How does having two Sims affect battery life? Two Sims sends like a good idea until you think about battery life.  

No

Interesting. I have a quirk on my dual sim android 7. Dual sim setting shows appropriate carrier name in sim1 and appropriate carrier name in sim2. Both dialer app and messages app are set to choose sim1 or sim2 for send. Sim2 is labeled as carrier name but sim1 is label as SIM1.

It would be better if sim1 was labeled with appropriarte carrier name in the dialer app and messages app.

Lieux
Oracle
Oracle

Thanks for sharing @FBR I never had a dual sim phone!

Need Help? Let's chat.