cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Public support wifi calling now, 9/2022?

kapukanan
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

On a Public website it said:"At this time Public Mobile does not support this functionality.  That being said, your phone may have features that will allow you to call someone using wifi or cellular data."  I'm not sure what date it was posted, but it looks as though it's the phone that determines whether one can access wifi calling.  Has anyone been successful using wifi calling with Public?

17 REPLIES 17

HI @Mkal 

PM is a tier 3 carrier and no tier 3 carrier  support wifi calling, and probably won't in the future, too

So, if you need it, no point to wait, check Koodo or other tier 2 or tier 1 carriers

Mkal

I checked at mine, it's active server. Unfortunately, public mobile doesn't offer wifi calling. VOLTE is avialabe. this is the one holding me on another carrier.

staffpro1

is there any plans to add wifi calling it is offered by other discount brands

HI@dust2dust  you missed Sheytoon saying it was anticipated to be done by end of 2022, but it has slipped to 2023.

Yes, you an say it is not official , we all know PM won't tell us the official day of anything until it comes

@hTideGnow- Could you point out for us all where you got this assertion from? Seems I missed it. Hope and wish is one thing. Saying so is another.

Hi @Charlesbenoit , you left??. but they will have VoLTE this year.  If you have good rewards, many year of loyalty rewards, maybe hold on a bit longer

Charlesbenoit

I hate to leave too but public mobile isn't even listening to their customers. Sad. Guess tomorrow I'm out

@Shubhjackson not sure if PM  will ever bring in WiFi Calling.  But very likely, they will introduce VoLTE this year.  So, hopefully they might bring in WiFi Calling together 

Shubhjackson

Hey, 
So, yes, I noticed this thing too.

It does not have VoLTE yet too
Maybe being a small company, things are taking time to grow up! 
Just like many other small companies, started from a sapling! 
Let's see, how it goes! We can see it grow, over the years 😅

Shubhjackson

Hello, 

So, I have joined Public, like 1-2 weeks back.

I was trying to register the sim to connect to Wi-Fi calling. Sadly, it doesn't have the feature with Public.

The message was showing like this - Contact your provider to enable Wi-Fi calling.

So, in a nutshell, right now it does not have the feature. But, maybe soon 🤞

@Hogdog wrote:

Well they better or lots of people will be jumping ship like me,,, phone service just went down and I got nothing not even 911 VERY DISAPOINTED

911 service works even if one specific carrier stops working. In some cases, you may need to take your SIM card out.

Hogdog

Well they better or lots of people will be jumping ship like me,,, phone service just went down and I got nothing not even 911 VERY DISAPOINTED

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

What do you mean "Public website"? Where did you see this message?

Maybe it's just generically suggesting that you could use voip apps on wifi or cellular data. ie. "features".

JL9
Mayor / Maire

Fingers crossed, I hope they do bc there are certain things they need to catch up on technology wise. The fact they started up 4G again is a step in the right direction, maybe they will start that trend in other areas too.

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

Simple answer is: No. And big question is if it ever will.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@kapukanan , Public Mobile does not support WiFi calling.  They are still working on getting VoLTE.

Need Help? Let's chat.