cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I need a new SIM if switching from Samsung to iPhone?

Amantey
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I bought a friends unlocked iPhone XR, and just wondering if I will need to order a new SIM? I have been with Public Mobile for a couple years now with my Samsung J3. 

Thanks!

15 REPLIES 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'll have a whack at it...I think it's ridiculous for regulars to add on to a thread with a repeat answer long after the last post was made. Different wording or not. It's ancient history by then. The OP has disappeared as they frequently do. And then especially if a solution has been chosen.

How long is too long? Dunno. 1 hour? 12 hours? Of course there's no rule. It's just ridiculous.

Regulars won't have any complaint if a newb comes in "late" and says something. Well...unless there's a solution.

But I certainly shake my head when I see a repeat answer post by a regular long after it seems to be done.

No, I mostly agree with you @darlicious.

We're all kinda beating a dead 🐴

Following discussion, I believe there are few valid points regarding SIM size.

Not everybody is phone expert as most hanging on this board. Different SIM sizes might be tricky to understand; having nano SIM in micro adapter and reading somebody's advise 'just to pop it out from adapter' might create unnecessary anxiety - 'what if I break it listening to this person???'.

Having similar, in different ways worded replies will reassure OP what and how to proceed.

@HALIMACS 

Good grief Charlie Brown! Where's Lucy when I need her? Is my nickel worth nothing now?🥜🥜🥜

@t_p 

Did I say that? No......I was just mentioning what should be obvious or oblivious?😃

Hi @darlicious 

I think @t_p has a valid enough point. Other posters did make the assertion one way or the other.

I stated,  "You may need to..."  to imply the OP may or may not need to remove an outer adapter.   

@darlicious 

If you think repetitive postings should be banned, then I think at least half the postings in this forum should be removed!

🙄

@t_p 

Yes but the questioned was answered in the very first post. It's important to recognize when 12 hours later if replying is really adding any real value to the thread. You may not agree with me but it really is just repetition to a very simple question with a very simple answer already answered and illustrated by @HALIMACS .

@darlicious wrote:

Wow! 5 replies all with the same basic answer with 12 hours between the first set of answers and the second I wonder if something has changed?🤔💡😃

If you read through the whole thread, you'll see some posters assume the J3 uses the nano SIM, others the micro, while the specs I posted show there are 2 versions of that phone.

Wow! 5 replies all with the same basic answer with 12 hours between the first set of answers and the second I wonder if something has changed?🤔💡😃

t_p
Mayor / Maire

@Amantey wrote:

I bought a friends unlocked iPhone XR, and just wondering if I will need to order a new SIM? I have been with Public Mobile for a couple years now with my Samsung J3. 

Thanks!

@Amantey 

Is your J3 a USA  model? If so, just switch the SIM over since that model also uses nano SIM.

But if you have another model, then you may need to punch out the nano SIM from the micro card used in other models.

You have the specs here:

Samsung Galaxy J3 (2016) - Full phone specifications (gsmarena.com)

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

@Amantey   Both J3 and iPhone are using nano SIM, so you are good to do  🙂

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@Amantey 

The Samsung J3 has the micro SIM size but the iPhone XR will require a nano SIM size so you will need to remove the micro adapter from the PM SIM to the small nano size.  As noted by @HALIMACS and @Anonymous. Power off off the iPhone then put the PM SIM in the phone and power on the phone.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Amantey 

you have a Samsung Galaxy J1 has Micro SIM,

you buy it iPhone XR has Nano SIM,

but there in SIM card a adapter can you remove it to will be Nano SIM,

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

Nope @Amantey, just remove the SIM card from existing device and place in new device.

You may need to remove the micro-size snap out adapter for the SIM card to make it a nano-size for the iPhone XR SIM card tray.

HALIMACS_0-1634084246081.png

HALIMACS_1-1634084256956.jpeg

Need Help? Let's chat.