cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I Need US Text and Talk roaming add-on?

brewman
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi.  Travelling to the States soon, and I was looking at the US add-on option for talk and text.  Currently in my account, I have the following bonus items still listed.

$0 Free Holiday Giveaway: 400min INTL Long Distance (incl CA & US)
2  /  400 MIN
500 one-time Int'l LD bonus
0  /  500 MIN

Do I need the talk and text add-on, or can I get away with the text only option?  Will these bonus items cover calling/receiving voice calls in the US, to and from Canada?

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@brewman 

If you are vacationing for 30 days or less then the 10 day US Roaming add ons will probably work best for you but the decommissioning of the 3G network in the US presents an issue for pm's voice services. Officially July 1st 2022 is the end date for T-Mobile with at&it's official end date has long since passed. While it is still possible in some areas to still get 3G network access there's no guarantee.

However there is a workaround. Before you leave download a voip app such as textnow. You can also change your voicemail message directing callers to phone your textnow phone number.Manually top up your self serve account balance with enough funds to cover your projected cost of needed roaming add ons. Make sure you know your 4 digit account pin #. This way if needed you can purchase US Roaming add ons  with your available funds or the credit card on file via the 611/IVR system or by calling 1 855 4PUBLIC and entering your 10 digit phone #.

In the day of departure or upon your arrival purchase just a 10 day US Roaming Data add on ($20/1gb/$15/500mb/$10/250mb). Make a note of the time of purchase as it will expire exactly 240 hours (10 days×24 hrs) later. If you wish to purchase the same add on you either have to wait 24 hours or contact customer support to add the same add on for you. You can purchase a different one immediately.

Once purchased ensure you enable roaming. Reboot your phone. Manually select either at&t or T-Mobile. Now you have access to the 4G LTE network. Regardless of any roaming add on you will recieve incoming pm SMS text messages. You can use textnow to send and recieve SMS texts and make and recieve voice calls. The textnow app will work on both wifi and mobile data and uses approximately 0.5mb/min for voice calls. MMS texts can be sent and recieved via mobile data. And if you need mobile data you have it.

iliketotalk
Mayor / Maire

@brewman  hello what you see in your self serve is for calling from Canada to another country a roaming add on would be needed or if you are going for any amount of time a local sim would be an option 

JL9
Mayor / Maire

Yes that is the only route you have for the US. 

MrSpock
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@brewman  hi yes you would need a 10 day roaming add on , the add ons you see in your self serve are only for calling from Canada 😀

Need Help? Let's chat.