cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do ALL carriers lock phones at times OR is this something that was done prior to 2017?

dent007
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Because of my recent success with unlocking my Samsung phone now I have questions about the carriers that put network locks on. Do they still do this and why? Is it only old phones that have network locks? Before you change carriers is it best to ask your current carrier if your phone is locked to them and if yes, ask them for a PUK ? thanks

10 REPLIES 10

HI @dent007   Yes, MCK is easy to get from Samsung as long as you can provide them the details.

Phones sold in Canada shouldn't need unlock code anymore.  However, if you are getting phones from US , they still have the phone sold locked.

I think Europe and Asia are both  easier in terms of unlocked phones

dent007

the MCK was the only thing that worked for me, so it was definitely needed. The unlock code was useless without the other code. Yes, three different codes, but just saying that when dealing with Samsung a PUK to them is ALSO a MCK. Look on the FIDO FORUMS for more on this. cheers.

0PX9O4
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@dent007 

The MCK is not the code you need. You need a subsidy unlock code from your carrier. The MCK is something that only Samsung can provide (based on the phone's IMEI) if the wrong subsidy unlock code is entered in too many times.

The PUK, MCK, and subsidy unlock code are three different numbers which each serve a different purpose.

dent007

thanks for info. Samsung calls the MCK (master code) a PUK. I found this out by searching on here and asked many Samsung agents, they all said it was the same thing. Samsung doing things different.

Meow
Mayor / Maire

As of 2017 ALL phones sold in Canada by Canadian companies have to be unlocked.

Older phones, still locked should be provided unlock code as per request. Unfortunately some companies like ^$@$& Rogers refuse to provide unlock code if you are not their customer or have not been within last year.

0PX9O4

@dent007 

Yes in my view it's always good to make sure your device is unlocked before you switch providers. Providers are supposed to be able to unlock phones for anyone but if you no longer have an active account with them it can be harder to get customer service.

But the phone's unlock code is different from the PUK (or PIN unlock code). The PUK is SIM-specific but a carrier's own unlock code is device (IMEI) specific.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

Further @dent007 , there are still devices out there in use that have been locked to a carrier and the user of these devices can contact the carrier anytime to have them unlocked.

It's important to note that devices can also be blacklisted if the financial obligation for their acquisition has not been fulfilled.

That can be checked here:

https://www.devicecheck.ca/check-status-device-canada/

pkaraa

All new phones are coming with no lock to provider after 2017. Old phones were offered codes to unlock too.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@dent007 

After 2017, no carriers put network locks on any of their carrier supplied devices. 

SIM locking was banned in Canada on December 1, 2017 as part of amendments to the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission's Wireless Code. All new devices in Canada must be sold unlocked, and carriers must offer to unlock existing phones free-of-charge.

Need Help? Let's chat.