cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss: Have you ever decided to bump up your data plan?

Gene2u
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi everyone,

This is one of the greatest online forums I've been in, so thanks for that.

Just wanted to start a discussion about those of you who've decided to bump up your data to a higher plan at some point. This summer I've been away from home a few times camping and travelling and have used all my data.  It's never happened since I signed up three years ago.  I've got the $25 plan, 1 GB data.  I wish I could sign up for a $30, 2 GB plan, but there is no $30 plan.  Next option is $35 for 3 GB.  I suspect I will go back to my usual usage of about 600-700 MB data, so I may just switch to a $35 plus plan during the summer.  Sadly, I've used up most of the bonus data awarded around December of most years.

The other option would be to buy data top ups of 1 GB per $15.  The bright side of paying a higher monthly fee would be the ability for me to reach for my phone while on cellular data more freely without worrying about sipping data all the time.  If I start a 30-day pay period with say 150MB of data over the first few days, then I end up rationing data until I get under my average daily allotment for the month (for example about 350MB for the first ten days).

Occasionally there's some kind of surprise usage or glitch that kills my limited data.  For example, using an app that I haven't used on cellular data before to be surprised how data hungry it is, or just this week when "Apple ID services" used a whole GB of data, my entire months allotment!

Also, as it is, I can't really stream internet radio or podcasts or spotify.  I'm kind of tempted to get a 3 or 4 or 5 GB plan to open up more possibilities.

What do you think?  Like I said, this is one of the best forums around, I like and trust the people here.

17 REPLIES 17

B12
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

If you do the math it becomes clear that each phone plan tier is roughly $2 to $3 per plan you go up. For instance 20GB for $62.15 ($55 after tax) is $3.10 per gig, and if you choose a plan below this you will obviously pay more money for less gigs. Essentially, IF you ask me, this is an illusion that the big 3 set up for buyers. For spending more you get more and that's more money in their pocket, I ain't even talking about the $62.15 either, unfortunately, I'm talking about whatever you do with your data they analyze it and make even more money off of your interests/etc. That's a double whammy. A win-win for them and a lose-lose for you/us. Of course one major upside is that you can access the internet almost anywhere but I find that a lot of things in life are tainted in this way. You get a little out of your experience and whoever you're paying gets a lot out of it.

My 2 cents

B12

Ah okay, neat. Glad it's working better for you. 😀

I don't have WIFI coverage area issues just internet going in & out issues. My conjecture is that in Windsor, ON they are doing cable maintenance and there was also a cogeco rep that came to my house telling me that cogeco is putting fiber in my neighborhood so I think there is a correlation between the maintenance in Windsor and the fiber construction going on in my area. I asked a teksavvy rep about the maintenance and she said I could be right but she wasn't definitive. So if my conjecture is correct I guess my internet should be working stably by the end of September since that's the ETA (Sept 2022). I rented a modem/router from teksavvy less than a week ago and from my own experience I haven't dealt with any of my devices complaining about the WIFI going out, so MAYBE my equipment is at fault. As I always say, time will tell.

Kristowhy
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@LeePublic wrote:

Love your comments on the plans! Quirky! I think the plan structure is to upsell the $$$ plans than the lower $ plans. Hence why you see the $55 20GB 4G plan is very tempting compared to the $50 10GB 3G plan.

Absolutely!  Telus is trying to move people up to capture a higher ARPU (average revenue per user).  Right now my understanding is that $55/month ARPU is the sweet spot for Rogers and other carriers.  I also believe that Telus is setting the stage for some type of consolidation between Koodo prepaid and PM. Check out the similarities in plans now between the two. 

Only buy the data you need and don't be tempted by these framing tactics to illicit impulse upgrades for wants. 

Gene2u

@B12 wrote:

In the past few months I've been considering and watching for a decent data plan to come about although I know not to hold my breath since Canada only has 3 main providers, so without more competition and those 3 preventing more competition, we customers have to either settle with what we're given or go without. That said, my consideration for more data actually stems from having shotty internet ever since I moved. I don't know if it's the house I moved into or the ISP's fault but I've been through 2 ISP's so far and on my 3rd, and I'll probably stick with the 3rd for awhile since there really isn't any others out there that are "cheaper" or offer "better" services. So my thoughts are perhaps if I can find a data plan with lots of data, 10-20GB, I can MAYBE let go of the internet since it typically works intermediately. The upside would be I only have 1 bill pay and the downside is my "internet" data would be VERY temperamental given where I live (a small town with lots of objects that obstruct the signal getting to any radio towers).

I have about 5 months left on my internet promo so that, in theory, gives me 5 months to figure my situation out.

Ah, one of the best things I've done recently for my at home internet was to get a set of Amazon eero devices to create a mesh network.  Had a few dead spots in my house, and until I bought the eeros, I didn't realize how bad things were.  Wifi speeds were terrible, and afterwards were much better.

B12

In the past few months I've been considering and watching for a decent data plan to come about although I know not to hold my breath since Canada only has 3 main providers, so without more competition and those 3 preventing more competition, we customers have to either settle with what we're given or go without. That said, my consideration for more data actually stems from having shotty internet ever since I moved. I don't know if it's the house I moved into or the ISP's fault but I've been through 2 ISP's so far and on my 3rd, and I'll probably stick with the 3rd for awhile since there really isn't any others out there that are "cheaper" or offer "better" services. So my thoughts are perhaps if I can find a data plan with lots of data, 10-20GB, I can MAYBE let go of the internet since it typically works intermediately. The upside would be I only have 1 bill pay and the downside is my "internet" data would be VERY temperamental given where I live (a small town with lots of objects that obstruct the signal getting to any radio towers).

I have about 5 months left on my internet promo so that, in theory, gives me 5 months to figure my situation out.

Pawprints1986
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

You're probably right... Funny sort of related thing, I've heard it's quite common for people on public to get personal "upgrade to koodo on X plan for X dollars a month, just for you!" Type deals

I've never gotten one. I'm guessing, because I've never signed up for more than $30 per month. I feel like if I were on a $50+ plan here, I'd be getting those  or I'd at least have gotten one ever. 

But I do get the "hey, spend more money for more data (you won't use)" here though. I'm a lighter data user. I literally still have an iPod, on purpose lol so I'm not streaming my commutes unless I'm navigating and forgot to download the map. Or checking email or other brief things. Getting messenger things when not in WiFi. I sometimes use data because I have it so why not lol. But then other times the power was out and I was grateful to have it and not be so bored! 

Gene2u

@LeePublic wrote:

Love your comments on the plans! Quirky! I think the plan structure is to upsell the $$$ plans than the lower $ plans. Hence why you see the $55 20GB 4G plan is very tempting compared to the $50 10GB 3G plan.

Wow, didn't realize the $55 plan was so much better than the $50.  I'm still in the shallow pool, longing for a $30 plan.  Ha!

LeePublic

Gene2u

@LeePublic wrote:

I have deliberated changing to the $55 20 GB plan just for peace of mind. I didn't because it would cause me to lose my $35 5GB plan which is 3GB + 2GB bonus data forever as long as I don't change my plan. Plus, I don't think it's worth an additional $20/mo. for more GBs. Maybe if PM offered a 8-10 GB plan for $45 I would definitely bite at that price.

Ah yes, you get the $40 plan (5 GB)  for $35 forever, that's a pretty sweet deal.  I kind of marvel at how perfect the pricing is to just squeeze a bit more money out of me.  $25 for 1GB, then a whole $10 extra for 2 additional GB.  Then it's only an extra $5 for 2 more GB than that... not bad.  Just that jump between $25 to $35 is a fairly big percentage.  If I were paying $35, an additional $5 is more modest.  Not sure I'm making sense here? Ha!

$25 - 1GB

$35 - 3GB ("Hey, look, you need more than a measly 1 GB.  Triple that for only $10!")

$40 - 5GB ("Look at this, an extra 2GB for just $5!")

$41.25 - 4GB LTE ("Most of the data you have now for practically the same price, but way quicker! Just $1.25 more, isn't it worth the price of a chocolate bar?")

LeePublic

I have deliberated changing to the $55 20 GB plan just for peace of mind. I didn't because it would cause me to lose my $35 5GB plan which is 3GB + 2GB bonus data forever as long as I don't change my plan. Plus, I don't think it's worth an additional $20/mo. for more GBs. Maybe if PM offered a 8-10 GB plan for $45 I would definitely bite at that price.

Gene2u

Ah yes @Pawprints1986 I remember getting a text message about a limited time $30 plan, but at the time I was perfectly happy with the 1 GB.  I did hear the argument that the CRTC made a mistake mandating a $35 3GB plan because people are more data hungry these days.  Starting to wonder if my data appetite has increased too. 

Pawprints1986

I have, but only because of a good deal actually offered to existing customers at the time. I was on the $25 1gb, but they offered a limited time $30 2gb, so I took them up on that (grandfathered now)

The new data amounts are insane though. I always ask myself, do the vast majority of people use that much data on a commute - since WiFi is basically everywhere these days 

I can see it for if anyone is using it as their primary and only internet connection even for home leisure, but most are not at 3mbps or even whatever 4g is as Its not adequate in today's Netflix/YouTube/Disney+ etc world. 

On the other side of the coin you'd think  if they can offer 10 gigs plan for 50, they could offer 1 gig for less than $25 - since as we know the service actually costs almost nothing to provide. 

I wouldn't get any more though, some months I have trouble using the 2gigs. But as it's now grandfathered I'm also not switching lol

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI@Gene2u I think you might be better off the pay $15 for 1GB and see how your usage after.  If you can use that extra 1GB for 2 months, you are already save money.  Also, December is coming , they might give another 2GB soon.  So, hopefully that extra 1GB as the buffer can last you till then

and @Alexandf  why talked about 4G speed plan?  

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Gene2u , based on your usage profile, I would say you are better off keeping your current plan and buying the occasional data add-on.  The problem with buying a plan with more data is that the extra costs are incurred every plan cycle.  You could have many cycles where the extra expense goes to waste.  Although it might seem pricey getting the data add-on, the usage will be very efficient, there is no expiry and you are not compelled to be wasteful just to make spending money on a pricier plan look like a good decision.  

Meow
Mayor / Maire

Sorry, I cannot justify paying arm and leg for mobile data.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@Gene2u - i've activated a plan, then quickly realized I didn't need the data I chose. So I am opposite of you I guess, and changed my plan to a lower cost/data bucket one.

The beauty about public is that it is very easy to change plans depending on your current needs. So, if you want to see what a higher data plan will do for you, try it for a 30 days cycle and see what you think.

Come xmas time, maybe public will give away freebies again, so you could plan to change to a lower data plan when that happens.

Best to change plans on Next Renewal though so you don't lose out on funds already paid in the current prepaid cycle (since there is no prorating).

Some managing data info. if interested:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/managing-your-data-usage

Alexandf
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Gene2u 

keep 3G plan better on 4G more fast losing data.

Need Help? Let's chat.