cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data service very very slow.

jackiegreen
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I changed my $10 plan to $40 4.5GB (3G speed) plan on Sunday. On Monday, I tested the speed, it's very fast (100+Mbps). I know that it would take up to 72 hours to throttle to 3G, so I tested the speed today (Tuesday). I found it's very very slow, and I could not even connect speedtest to run the test. I also checked browsing the webpage and found that sometimes I cannot even open a webpage. I tried youtube too and could not load/watch any videos. This only thing that I can use is whatsapp. I was using Freedom Mobile before. Although I only got 3.0Mbps on Freedom Mobile LTE network, I feel the speed on PM 3G is much slower than than that on FM. I am not sure this is normal (maybe they're still working on throttling my data service to 3G). If it is normal, then I will regret switching FM to PM.

I am using Iphone X, located in Ottawa.

15 REPLIES 15

Tawfick
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have the same problem. I need to change the service because I am an Uber driver if it is not fixed tonight.

lat34hat34
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I've been having the same problems lately (I just switched to Public from Virgin). I have to sometimes turn off my WIFI and then turn it back on in order for my internet to not be slow and actually work. I don't use the data Public offers because I mostly like WIFI, but maybe it's just a weird overall issue? My WIFI is with Rogers.

I also have an iPhone SE and I noticed that this all started to happen right after I updated iOS.

koimr1
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Telus appears to be having some issues:

Telus Outage Map

Southern Ontario, in the middle of Brant County - 4.32 download on full LTE plan, 0.37 upload.

Note, inside a bad building for signal right now... but this is slow even for my regular day.

youbme

I'm in the Ottawa area as well, and there is definitely something going on in the last few days. I just did some speed tests, and speeds seem to be the same in my current location (Kanata) for LTE connection, but slower than before when I force a 3g connection, see below:

note the difference between today's test and from 9/04note the difference between today's test and from 9/04

kellykellz

@jackiegreen wrote:

"I also checked browsing the webpage and found that sometimes I cannot even open a webpage."

This happens to me often at 3G with Public Mobile.  I thought I was the only one.  My internet will be working, then suddenly the webpages will not load.  I have an iPhone SE.  I wonder if this may be an iPhone issue?

digitalmind

Same in Quebec. Can’t even load emails if I’m not on wifi. I hope it’ll be fixed soon. 

nharvey23

My data is very slow as well (it keeps going in and out), I'm also in the Ottawa area. I think there must be something going on with the data, hope they fix it soon.

darkstar107

@Vas You can contact the mods by sending them a private message by clicking this link:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/privatenotespage/tab/compose/note-to-user-id/22...

Replies from the mods could take up to 48 hours.  Try rebooting your phone.  Are you just in an area with poor reception (how many connection bars do you have)?  Does it say your connected on LTE or 4G?

Edit: Include your 4 digit pin and phone number when you message them

jackiegreen

I just started this plan, still have more than 4.0GB for the usage.

Vas

Mote than 10 days long everything was OK. I believe that public mobile simply switched me out. How to contact them at all?

jackiegreen

I already tried putting the phone on 3G, no difference.... it is still very slow.

Vas

I have very slow speed today on my 4.5 GB plan although my accont shows that there is more than 900 MB left. I can not use internet. How to contact Public mobile about this issue?

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@jackiegreen, even after the throttle kicks in, you can still do things like a speed test.  The fact that speed test or opening a web page did not work suggests something else is the problem.  Slower speed and does not work are very different results.  One thing you can try is putting the phone on 3G.  The 3G connections are not throttled.  Your performance will be dictated by local network loading only.

GreatCanadian

No that isn't normal. For the tasks you mentioned above, Public Mobile 3g speeds are more than adequate  

GC 

Need Help? Let's chat.