cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data plan required for a smartphone?

Datarun
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen
Hi there, my mom wants to get an iPhone but she only needs to use data on Wi-Fi. Is a data plan required though if you have a smartphone?
8 REPLIES 8

As discussed, a smartphone can be used on any carrier without a data plan.  Where it gets tricky at most carriers is the possible pay-per-use charges that can be incurred.  You don't want to try this at most carriers because it's just too easy to get unexpect charges.

Saying all the above, there are no pay-per-use charges at Public Mobile.  So you do not need to worry about any charges for data usage.  The data just won't work.

wetcoaster
Mayor / Maire

Another vote for a talk & text plan rounded out by a data add-on.

I rely heavily on WiFi at home and at work and use less than a 100MB/30days for occasional e-mail, social media uses and checking google maps on the go.

To receive MMS the data function has to be on (but at PM, unlike most other (prepaid) providers, no data is used, so you don't need a data plan / add-on for that feature.)

If you go with a data add-on or the a data plan you want to make sure that you don't have any apps unnessecarily using data in the background etc.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@Datarun, another great thing about PM you own the phone so you only need to get whatever package works for you.  Not like some other providers where if you want the newest iPhone you have to get a certain leverl of plan/service to be able to get the phone "subsidized"

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité
@Chaos_Scorpio You mean you are not their first call?

Chaos_Scorpio
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

My parents went without data on their smartphones for a couple years. Only just recently did they get data (they are still on Rogers but a lot easier for them if a problem occurs they can call someone). 

dna2016
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Hi @Datarun, you can use any phone on any plan, there is no requirement to purchase a data plan for a smartphone.  If she has access to Wifi everywhere she goes then there's definitely no need for a data plan.  However, it is very convenient to have though Smiley Happy

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité
I recently moved my mom from chattr 25$/month plan to pm. The main reasons were: the talk and text promo 25$/month vs 30, and the ability to buy the 1gb data buckets, so if she wants to check her email she turns data on.

Will see how she does with data. If she uses her data in less than two months then I will likely get her a 3g plan if 3 months or longer then will just buy the data addons

xCameron94x
Mayor / Maire
You do not need data to have a plan. You can get a talk and text plan if that is what you are looking for
Need Help? Let's chat.