cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data on the $15 plan without autopay?

tonkers6
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I just subscribed to Public Mobile a couple of days ago because the plan suited my need with the unlimited incoming Canada Wide minutes.  When you look at the plan details (and confirmed using the live chat feature), there should be no data on this plan - unless you are using autopay - I am not.  

I found out the plan had data when I had sent a text that always used to go through as SMS with my previous provider.  The text received shortly after signing up said to restart my phone to complete everything, which I did.  The next day I sent a text to my wife and noticed it sent as an iMessage (which requires data to send) instead of the usual SMS.

Can someone explain what is going on with this?

15 REPLIES 15

@tonkers6 

There is no way to block data and its not a glitch as previously mentioned its coded to the plan. Your only real option would be to at midnight eastern upon renewal you run your data out by playing an HD video or switch your settings to 3G and run some speed tests to use up your data etc...

Unless its possible to edit your APN on an iphone for MMS only.... @CalgaryBen ?

@darlicious wrote:

@tonkers6 

There is no way to block data and its not a glitch as previously mentioned its coded to the plan. Your only real option would be to at midnight eastern upon renewal you run your data out by playing an HD video or switch your settings to 3G and run some speed tests to use up your data etc...

Unless its possible to edit your APN on an iphone for MMS only.... @CalgaryBen ?

I believe the OP would have to turn off iMessage and that is a PITA as like in our family we are ALL on iPhones and iPads thus a lot of our messages are over wifi. I have not and will not change my settings......that is why I say...turn off your data and when you are out and want to do a check....turn data on....check....turn it back off. I rarely use up all my 250 mb. 

First time I see someone complain about unwanted data.

Would be great if there is a way to gift it to another user, wouldn't it?

Was thinking the same....would be nice to gift add ons. 

Also what about saving $25 a year too??

CalgaryBen
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@tonkers6 wrote:

I found out the plan had data when I had sent a text that always used to go through as SMS with my previous provider.

The next day I sent a text to my wife and noticed it sent as an iMessage (which requires data to send) instead of the usual SMS.

Unfortunately current and previous versions of iOS never dynamically switched between iMessage and SMS based on whether there's a data connection, so if messages from your iPhone to your wife's iPhone have always been via SMS, either/both phones were not registered for iMessage.  The only time I usually see message switch from iMessage to SMS is if the iMessage cannot be delivered to the recipient and it times out.  Or, of course, you can disable iMessage as needed, which is a pain as others have noted.  This has always been the dilemma with iPhones (without going into too much detail, there used to be a $10 voice/SMS only plan, but it caused grief for iPhone users due to iMessage, who spent time in and out of WiFi coverage if they didn't have a data add-on...)

@darlicious wrote:

Practically speaking, it can't be done.  I think having a valid APN is required so that you can acquire an IP address, and then MMS goes through a proxy so that you aren't using metered data.  If you kill the APN or use an invalid one, you won't get a data connection, and MMS won't work either.

Indeed, this is a use case where the iPhone's tight-coupling with iMessage (and pretty much an all-or-none approach), and the assumption that data is readily available means you can't have it both ways (iMessage only on WiFi and dynamically switching to SMS in the absence).

I think the OP's point is getting missed as they don't want any data other than the connection to send MMS. Which as @z10user4 mentioned is easily done by editing the APN on an android phone but not possible on an iPhone.