cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data on the $15 plan without autopay?

tonkers6
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I just subscribed to Public Mobile a couple of days ago because the plan suited my need with the unlimited incoming Canada Wide minutes.  When you look at the plan details (and confirmed using the live chat feature), there should be no data on this plan - unless you are using autopay - I am not.  

I found out the plan had data when I had sent a text that always used to go through as SMS with my previous provider.  The text received shortly after signing up said to restart my phone to complete everything, which I did.  The next day I sent a text to my wife and noticed it sent as an iMessage (which requires data to send) instead of the usual SMS.

Can someone explain what is going on with this?

15 REPLIES 15

I think the OP's point is getting missed as they don't want any data other than the connection to send MMS. Which as @Anonymous mentioned is easily done by editing the APN on an android phone but not possible on an iPhone.

CalgaryBen
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@tonkers6 wrote:

I found out the plan had data when I had sent a text that always used to go through as SMS with my previous provider.

The next day I sent a text to my wife and noticed it sent as an iMessage (which requires data to send) instead of the usual SMS.

Unfortunately current and previous versions of iOS never dynamically switched between iMessage and SMS based on whether there's a data connection, so if messages from your iPhone to your wife's iPhone have always been via SMS, either/both phones were not registered for iMessage.  The only time I usually see message switch from iMessage to SMS is if the iMessage cannot be delivered to the recipient and it times out.  Or, of course, you can disable iMessage as needed, which is a pain as others have noted.  This has always been the dilemma with iPhones (without going into too much detail, there used to be a $10 voice/SMS only plan, but it caused grief for iPhone users due to iMessage, who spent time in and out of WiFi coverage if they didn't have a data add-on...)

@darlicious wrote:

Unless its possible to edit your APN on an iphone for MMS only.... @CalgaryBen ?

Practically speaking, it can't be done.  I think having a valid APN is required so that you can acquire an IP address, and then MMS goes through a proxy so that you aren't using metered data.  If you kill the APN or use an invalid one, you won't get a data connection, and MMS won't work either.

Indeed, this is a use case where the iPhone's tight-coupling with iMessage (and pretty much an all-or-none approach), and the assumption that data is readily available means you can't have it both ways (iMessage only on WiFi and dynamically switching to SMS in the absence).

Was thinking the same....would be nice to gift add ons. 

Also what about saving $25 a year too??

First time I see someone complain about unwanted data.

Would be great if there is a way to gift it to another user, wouldn't it?

@darlicious wrote:

@tonkers6 

There is no way to block data and its not a glitch as previously mentioned its coded to the plan. Your only real option would be to at midnight eastern upon renewal you run your data out by playing an HD video or switch your settings to 3G and run some speed tests to use up your data etc...

Unless its possible to edit your APN on an iphone for MMS only.... @CalgaryBen ?

I believe the OP would have to turn off iMessage and that is a PITA as like in our family we are ALL on iPhones and iPads thus a lot of our messages are over wifi. I have not and will not change my settings......that is why I say...turn off your data and when you are out and want to do a check....turn data on....check....turn it back off. I rarely use up all my 250 mb. 

@tonkers6 

There is no way to block data and its not a glitch as previously mentioned its coded to the plan. Your only real option would be to at midnight eastern upon renewal you run your data out by playing an HD video or switch your settings to 3G and run some speed tests to use up your data etc...

Anonymous
Not applicable

@tonkers6 : Well you can always just run out the data however it goes and then leaving the cell data on will still allow MMS to go through. If it was an Android I could tell you how to, in effect, make it MMS-only. Your iMessage will still need wifi though unless you can send and receive using standard SMS.

tonkers6

I am familiar with how iMessages work and how to turn them off.  I am also aware that turning iMessage off would result in my text messages sending as SMS.  If I leave cellular data on, I am also familiar that a picture of video sends as MMS.  I had switched because I liked the plan and did not want any data - that is why I didn't use the autopay feature either, because a representative on the live chat confirmed the data is only applied if you use autopay and the wording of the plan also leads you to believe this.  I am aware a previous reply said it is a glitch and as a result, there is data on the plan.  Having data, I understand the ins and outs of how my texts are no longer sending as SMS to other iPhone users.  I did not want data though, just the unlimited incoming minutes.  Is there no possible way to fix what Dunkman indicated is a glitch on my account? I'm also aware that I could turn cellular data off, but then I wouldn't be able to send MMS messages (pictures and videos).  Seems like a hassle to toggle it on and off when the plan isn't supposed to come with the data anyway.

@tonkers6 

Check your settings.....

1. Turn iMessage and Facetime OFF, wait 5 minutes and turn ON
  2. Go to Settings >> General >> About: if a carrier update is offered install it
  3. Best setup for messages: Settings >> Messages >> iMessage ON, Send as SMS ON, MMS ON >> Send & Receive: should show your PM phone number and Apple ID email
  4. Confirm cellular data is actually working; e.g. web searches

Courtesy of @Luddite 

LurganIeUk
Mayor / Maire

@tonkers6 wrote:

I just subscribed to Public Mobile a couple of days ago because the plan suited my need with the unlimited incoming Canada Wide minutes.  When you look at the plan details (and confirmed using the live chat feature), there should be no data on this plan - unless you are using autopay - I am not.  

I found out the plan had data when I had sent a text that always used to go through as SMS with my previous provider.  The text received shortly after signing up said to restart my phone to complete everything, which I did.  The next day I sent a text to my wife and noticed it sent as an iMessage (which requires data to send) instead of the usual SMS.

1. You can leave as is and when used up it's gone till your next cycle. No extra charges will happen. 

2. Turn all of your apps off from being able to use data AND turn your data switch off. 

3. Or manage it and make the best of it. Turn off what apps that you don't want to use data with and leave your data off and only turn it on when you want to use it. 

Are you picking up any free hot spots for wifi?

And verify Data Usage on your My Account. 

And when freebies come...sometimes it is a data add-on. 

@tonkers6 

The $15 plan comes with 250mb by default. It is coded to the plan unlike all of the other plans where the autopay data bonus is tied to being registered for autopay. But don't worry there are no extra charges, overages or hidden fees  at public mobile once you use your data it will just stop and the feature/data counter listed in your account will disappear.

You might as well register for autopay to recieve the $2 reward since you are getting the data bonus regardless. Autopay will only be used if there are not enough funds in your balance to cover your plan amount minus rewards. It will only attempt one payment charge to your card if it fails your service will be suspended at 6am eastern on the day of your renewal. Your card for autopay is not set up as preauthorized like other providers. All other charges can only be authorized by you in your self serve account or thru 611 after imputting your 4 digit account pin #.

If you do not want your texts to send as iMessage you must change your settings in your iPhone to use SMS/MMS instead. Right now they are defaulting to iMessage.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@tonkers6 wrote:

The next day I sent a text to my wife and noticed it sent as an iMessage (which requires data to send) instead of the usual SMS.

The primary texting app on an iphone is called iMessage. There are settings in it to use SMS for real actual texts. Also real MMS picture messages.

iMessage also does instant messaging via the internet between idevices.

The instant messaging method requires the internet. Real actual MMS requires cell data to be on but it doesn't consume your cell data itself. Your phone might take a little of course. Make sure OS and app updates are done by wifi.

@tonkers6 

You will get$2 off only it's totally worth it. You don't need to let autopay execute you can still pay as usual. Also you can use some visa gift cards that have only about a dollar balance and cannot be recharged, as long as you load your voucher on time and payment doesn't execute the card will be registered for autopay and you are getting$2 off.

Sorry it's only 250, not 500 even with the glitch.

If you want to use fongo for call transfer to turn your incoming minutes into unlimited outgoing 250m is more than enough as you would use 400-700k to initiate the call

tonkers6

I left my previous provider and existing plan because of the price point, but I wanted no data.

Does this mean that if I signed up for autopay, I get the $2 off per month and an additional 250mb for a total of 500mb of data?

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@tonkers6 

Known glitch in the system.  Even without autopay, you will get the 250mb of data every 30 days.  Just enjoy the free data.  

Need Help? Let's chat.