cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Coverage issue west of Ottawa

MagicSpark
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

After moving to new house outside of city of Ottawa I started to experience coverage problems. Inside the house there is almost no coverage at all. Outside of the house the coverage is poor. Neighbors suspect the issue is with Telus and suggested to move to Bell network.

The new house has metal roof, could it be the issue? Does anyone have similar issue?

Also does anyone have experience with mobile repeaters, cell phone boosters etc to resolve coverage issues?

Thanks

10 REPLIES 10

Looks like a CPE for fixed wireless internet.

@MagicSpark   go up the roof.. take a picture of the model number and brand  

@MagicSpark wrote:

I have the following device attached to the roof left by previous owners. Is it an antenna from mobile signal booster?Device.jpg

It could be any type of antenna. It's hard to tell unless you look at the connection type or open it.  It might be an OTA tv antenna.

@MagicSpark 

That looks like an NBN hub which is a fixed broadband data connection.

MagicSpark

I have the following device attached to the roof left by previous owners. Is it an antenna from mobile signal booster?Device.jpg

sheytoon
Mayor / Maire

Switching to Bell won't help. They have the same coverage as Telus. Booster may help, it really depends on the specs and practicality of installation.

@MagicSpark 

Yes the metal roof is probably having a significant affect on your service. So can other construction materials In fact materials that do not conduct electricity like wood, drywall, plastics, and glass will impede a cellular signal, but not block it. Materials such as tin, copper, silver, aluminum and others can completely block the signal. However a signal booster can circumvent these materials to produce  a stronger more reliable signal.

030220_WE_Block-Signal-Infographic_09-01~2.png

You can check outside of your home for the strength of your signal. Set your preferred network type to 3G (pm uses the 3G network for calling) and then navigate back to Settings>>about phone>>status/sim card status. Anything below -90 dBm is considered good whereas -120 dBm is virtually no signal at all. @sheytoon our resident expert in this area can probably offer some suggestions if given your budget and locale.

@MagicSpark wrote:

According to the link you provided, Bell and Telus have separate towers and Bell tower is significantly closer than Telus tower to my home.

Outside of Western Canada, Telus has very few towers, just as Bell doesn't have many outside of eastern half o fthe country.  Bell and Telus coverage are going to be essentially identical.  They both rely on each other.

MagicSpark

According to the link you provided, Bell and Telus have separate towers and Bell tower is significantly closer than Telus tower to my home.

JK8
Mayor / Maire

@MagicSpark 

See what towers are close by. Telus and Bell share each others towers. Anyone else with phone problems in your home?

https://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/cancellsites.html?lat=52.025459&lng=-96.987305&zoom=4&type=Roadm...

Need Help? Let's chat.