cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Coverage in mountains

hycm53
Mayor / Maire

Thers's no signal when I travelled in tourist guide's vehicle from Banff to Icefield. But somehow the tourist guide's cell phone had signal! Is it because around the Rocky Mountain?

7 REPLIES 7

@geopublic wrote:

@hycm53 wrote:

@Triguy @geopublic Unforttunaltely I didn't ask who's the provider. 

@hycm53  Ok, did you have data coverage by any chance? Maybe they were using VoLTE?

I have $30 for 30 days plan included Canada wide talking and 1GB data, I use less data and still have plenty data left. Actually I didn't see the tourist guide talking. Someone asked what's the temperature and she said it's 10 degree after she took out the phone and looked at the phone.

@hycm53 wrote:

@hycm53  Ok, did you have data coverage by any chance? Maybe they were using VoLTE?

Tiprix
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@hycm53 another possibility is a cellphone booster, this would assist in amplifying the signal.  A useful tool if you're constantly in a little to no coverage zone.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@hycm53 wrote:

Thers's no signal when I travelled in tourist guide's vehicle from Banff to Icefield. But somehow the tourist guide's cell phone had signal! Is it because around the Rocky Mountain?

@hycm53  Did you ask who was the tour guide's provider?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@hycm53 wrote:

Rogers and "Bellus" appear to be pretty similar in those areas. I wonder if he had a cell phone or some other radio phone like a satphone as mentioned.

BC is definitely a challenge for all providers. It's all valleys or the interior plateau where it becomes a distance issue.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Here is a coverage map.  https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/coverage.  PM uses Telus and Bell towers so there is generally good coverage.  Do you know which provider they were using or maybe it was a satelllite phone ?

Need Help? Let's chat.