cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confused with USA 3g turndown

dordorjuu
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I just switched over the PM. $40 for 15 GB on 4g network. Pretty good deal so I jumped on it. I didn't even think of us roaming. I don't go to the states often but I do have family there so I might. I've been reading up on a lot of posts about the 3g turndown and it's worrying me. Plus all these terms are confusing me. 2g, volte, 3g, 4g. All I really want to know is if I have a 4g plan and I go to states (mainly Washington or Oregon State) will I be able to make calls, text and use data? I know there are voice text and data is add one. Can someone please explain this to me in the simplest terms? Dumb it down?

8 REPLIES 8

treefrog
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Hollister 

I'm sorry but I'm not getting your point? Unless you mean to say we don't have VOLTE yet so it won't work in the US? You will have to spell it out for me.

Text and data will work on their 4G. Talk and text and allegedly data will work on their old 2G. Coverage is always a factor.

XionBunny
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

You'd think logically speaking that public mobile would have the same agreements that Telus does (when it comes to US roaming)  but this seems to always be a confusing answer, but I tend to believe they would since really public doesn't really operate separately anymore its just got a smaller team that Telus allocates to it as far as the staff goes for this specific brand.

@dordorjuu AT&T is supposed to be a roaming partner, too. For for at least 6 months, seems like people are unable to connect to it.   Not sure if AT&T still a partner or maybe it will work again after VoLTE is enabled.

dordorjuu
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Thank you. And just to clarify, if I'm in the states voice is using 2g T-Mobile. How about At&t wouldn't we have access to that?

Text and data, is that on 4g in the states then?

I wonder how this is affecting other providers like Telus. Hopefully I won't regret switching from Telus to PM.

Hollister
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@treefrog 

See second bullet.

0C9D7BE1-3676-4891-8D75-9D0D98DD5524.jpeg

treefrog
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@dordorjuu 

FYI...VOLTE (Voice over LTE) is being rolled out as we speak. If you are in BC you may already have it. You can check by making a call (even to 611) and checking to see if your network icon changes from 4G/LTE to 3G or just remains on 4G/LTE.

US roaming is explained in this thread:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/US-Roaming-Add-ons-Decommissioning-of-US-...

Washington's geography makes connectivity difficult outside of it's cities and towns and Oregon has terrible coverage other than Portland and few other cities.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@dordorjuu your 4G plan is in fact 4G speed plan.  

Everyone, regardless of 3G speed or 4G speed plan will be using 3G network for all  voice calls in Canada and will need to use T-Mobile's 2G network for roaming voice in US.  

And whether yiu are on 3G speed plan or 4G speed Klang, yiu can still use 3G and 4G network in Canada for text and data in Canada and 4G network for roaming text and roaming data in US

Then why there are 4G speed plans?? The difference is that people on 3G speed plan can only have data speed capped at 3Mbps when using the  4G network while people like you with a 4G speed plan  will have a data speed upto 100Mbps

So, the difference is only speed 

For voice roaming concern, VoLTE should be available very soon.  When it is enabled, we all would be using the much more reliable 4G network for voice and no need to worry about the lack of 2G coverage in US roaming 

Need Help? Let's chat.