cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Conditional Forwarding with VoLTE

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

I was converted/enabled for VoLTE service with Public Mobile today. Indeed, I remain on LTE or LTE+ while on a call now. Great! Call setup is imperceptibly faster and call quality is exactly the same, so most people won't notice any difference. But if this means I can reliably make calls if I travel to the USA now that will be a major improvement.

Anyhow, the only limitation I've found so far is I cannot set conditional call forwards. ie (When busy, when unavailable, and when busy). Previously these could be set either in the call forwarding menu of the phone app, or manually using the *61, *62, and *67 codes. If I try to set any of those through the menu or through those codes I now only receive an error "Connection problem or invalid MMI code."

For those who have been converted/enabled for VoLTE service, could you also test to see if you can reproduce this? Basically it means now that I have been provisioned for VoLTE service, I can't use a 3rd party voicemail service like YouMail -- for now at least.

test by dialing:
*61*12504125922#

If it ends up working, you can undo it with:
##61#

(example number is a test number from http://thetestcall.blogspot.com/ )

I opened a ticket with CS agents and they just tell me to use the *61, *62, *67 codes as usual, so maybe they're not aware of an issue with this function on VoLTE yet so I thought I'd ask for further verification/testing here.

Thanks! - N

64 REPLIES 64

Cjfreeway
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Super curious what you did that made it work? I get 20 voicemails a day and PM box is always full. I have a paid subscription to Youmail and can't use it. I miss it so much.

Thanks, Csvin

drdscdmd
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I tried everything. I even switched to 4G on my phone, and still, I get the same error message.

I switched to even 3G and it said that I needed to connect to a network.

Looks like I'm screwed for the conditional call forwarding options.

Bottom line is that I can switch on or off every option on my phone, change the type of network I'm on, 4G or 5G, turn VoLTE option on or off, and nothing will work. Only call forwarding unconditional (*21*) is working. 

@drdscdmd wrote:

Yes, that's good advice. I know that if Telus let's VoLTE work then I'm good because public mobile uses Telus' towers. That's pretty much guaranteed. I'll see if I can go to Telus store itself and ask them to check for me. 

@drdscdmd  yeah.. tell them you are considering to join but you need to make sure VoLTE work, the  Telus sales would certainly  love to help  😂

drdscdmd

That's a really good point. I CAN turn off the VoLTE option by going into my network settings and just clicking it off. Hold on... Let me do that now!

Nope. Turning the function VoLTE off doesn't do anything for my phone. It just doesn't work. I'm screwed for call forwarding conditional.

Here is the link about my phones compatibility with VoLTE. 

https://www.google.com/search?q=is+dooggee+v+max+volte+compatible&oq=is+Dooggee+V+Max+Vol&aqs=chrome...

I don't know. Looks like I'll never get this call forwarding conditional issue resolved. 

drdscdmd

Yes, that's good advice. I know that if Telus let's VoLTE work then I'm good because public mobile uses Telus' towers. That's pretty much guaranteed. I'll see if I can go to Telus store itself and ask them to check for me. 

@drdscdmd 

not sure the direction of PM with VoLTE.  But for most providers, eventually they would loosen the VoLTE requirement.

But your phone is very new, so I am not sure Telus or even Bell/Rogers is allowing it on VoLTE yet

do you have any friends using Telus? If so, have them to test the Telus sim card and see if it works.  if so, good news, probably it will be on PM eventually

if it does not work, there is still hope.  Your phone is very new, so, Telus could open it up in couple months.  So, test again with Telus sim in couple months

drdscdmd

I did submit a ticket to a CS_Agent to try to resolve my call forward conditional issue and they couldn't do anything for me, unfortunately.

I have a Dooggee V Max which is android. I don't understand why the brand of phone should be the issue. Android is android! If u look up the specs for my phone, it IS VoLTE compatible as it is automatically 5G. It is automatically enabled. 

So what ur telling me it's that I'm screwed for life if VoLTE doesn't open up to all phone brands?

And just to let u know, my Dooggee V Max phone is a completely new phone that just came out on a world premiere! Most advanced rugged phone on the market today. It's awesome. That's probably why no one has heard of it!

But I'm not sure about VoLTE working on it. So far, it's not working for me. Probably because I'm not switched over to VoLTE yet. But PM said eventually all customers will be switched over to VoLTE, so maybe in the future that will be how my phone will be able to use the MMI codes again. I'll just wait till all customers are switched over to VoLTE. There is nothing else I can do right now to fix my issue and I'm definitely not changing my brand new phone!

@drdscdmd  

at the moment, VoLTE should be permissioned for most users but PM's  VoLTE approved list is the issue.  So far, only major brands and those released over the last 2 years are on the list.  Your phone is certainly not on the list and I doubt it will be on unless PM is opening up to ALL VoLTE capable phone

You can still open ticket with PM and see what they say or what they can do with the conditional forwarding.  Please let us know if any good news out of it. 

drdscdmd

I know that the changing of the settings is essentially the same as dialing the MMI codes! If one doesn't work, the other is useless as well. I just wanted other people to know this other option as this way u don't have to remember any MMI code to dial. 

Because I joined Public mobile years ago, I'm on the old system and it says on the website that eventually it will change everybody over to VoLTE. So right now I'm on the old system and only call forward unconditional (*21*) works. This really sucks. 

I unfortunately have to wait till the system switches to VoLTE and God knows how long that will take!

I recently just bought a new phone which is like android. It's Dooggee V Max (it just came out on a world premiere), which I got from China. It's absolutely the best rugged phone out there! Downside is that it's just bulky as it has a 22,000mAh battery. But it lasts for days! Best phone I ever had. Works like a Samsung Galaxy but a lot faster. I used to always buy Samsung Galaxies or Notes.

So anyways, as of right now, I just have to be patient and wait for the complete changeover to VoLTE, and hopefully all the MMI codes will be back to what they were from the start.

Also, as of right now submitting a ticket to the agent is useless. They said to wait for the changeover. 

@drdscdmd the Android settings you used to set different conditional forwarding is effectively the same as using the different dialing codes. Since Conditional forwarding is broken, using the settings to change won't work as well

What phone are you using ? is VoLTE working. Yes, I know you said it didn't work great.  If you are using VoLTE now, some members said support could resolve the conditional forwarding as long as VoLTE is being used.  Maybe you can open ticket with is support, let them know you have VoLTE and is using it, and see if they can resolve the forwarding issue for you 

drdscdmd

I am a really long customer with public mobile, and I like using the call forward conditional codes too, just like u. The codes, *61*, *62*, etc., they all used to work until recently. Now everything goes straight to that stupid voicemail number +16475804001. All conditional forwarding conditional options will also go to this number, like unreachable, busy, etc.

On android phones, there is a way that u can manipulate the call forwarding conditional settings to change the number, and this way u don't need to call using those MMI codes by going to the call function, then u hit the settings (the three dots in the upper corner), then u select calling accounts, hit Telus (because public mobile uses Telus). From there u can select call forwarding and then supposedly u can change the numbers for call forwarding busy, call forwarding unreachable, etc., by just selecting it and then changing the number.

This used to work, and replaced the method of directly dialing the MMI codes directly from the call function, but now, it just simply won't work.

Ever since public mobile has switched to this VoLTE thing, it screwed up all the MMI codes and ONLY call forwarding unconditional (*21* and #21# to cancel) works. It's complete GARBAGE, and super inconvenient!

They said any customer who activated after Feb, 2023, will automatically be eventually  converted to VoLTE but it will take a few months. No word on when that's going to happen.

Ever since they switched to this VoLTE garbage, nothing works right!

Essentially we are paying for half the service that were supposed to get. 

I wrote to the CS_agent and they just said to keep checking back on the website regarding VoLTE and when it's finally going to switch all customers over. 

It's very frustrating. I really hate their default voicemail. I'd rather use my other personal one that has unlimited messages and unlimited length but I don't want to use the call forwarding unconditional option all the time to forward to it. It's stupid. 

The system was better without this VoLTE garbage. 

I just hope that once it coverts everything over to VoLTE, that everything will go back to normal and all the MMI codes will return back to what they're supposed to do! 

In the meantime we all stuck with only call fowarding unconditional working (*21*). 

No other MMI codes will work and u we'll always get the "Connection Error or invalid MMI" message if we use all the other MMI codes. 

@frankysplace wrote:

Please correct me if I am wrong. When turning off VoLTE you are back on the 3G network once back onto the 3G network you can use the gsm codes for call forwarding. How ever while on the 4GLTE network for voice these gsm codes no longer work. I googled this issue call forwarding VoLTE and it was suggested to turn off VoLTE. Maybe this issue has been noted on other networks like T-Mobile.

@frankysplace wrote:

Please correct me if I am wrong. When turning off VoLTE you are back on the 3G network once back onto the 3G network you can use the gsm codes for call forwarding. How ever while on the 4GLTE network for voice these gsm codes no longer work. I googled this issue call forwarding VoLTE and it was suggested to turn off VoLTE. Maybe this issue has been noted on other networks like T-Mobile.

@frankysplace , I leave my iPhone on LTE to use conditional call forwarding to setup YouMail. Worked fine after Public Mobile fixed the broken issues on their end.

frankysplace

Yes it worked! Yes switching settings back to 3G then turn on and off airplane mode was much quicker then restarting. Then to get back to VoLTE I enabled LTE in cellular setting toggled airplane mode on and off. When 3G is retired we may not be able to use YouMail. Reading online conventional call forwarding over VoLTE is an issue because of the dial codes are gsm codes that only work on 3G. If there is someone more technical maybe that someone could look into this more. (Here is something peculiar when I enable LTE without toggling airplane mode or restarting the iPhone it retains it forwarding settings to YouMail) P.S. I think once I turn my iPhone off or reset it, or toggle the airplane mode switch I will lose my conditional call forwarding settings to YouMail. 

@frankysplace- Can you test whether airplane mode is sufficient? Rather than doing the whole restart.

frankysplace

Did you restart your iPhone after switching it to 3G? You also have to restart your iPhone when switching back to LTE. However toggle airplane mode switch on/off is faster.

siberianquirk

@frankysplace I have an iPhone SE 2020 and followed your instructions to force the phone to 3G. Activation for YouMail still fails for me on 3G. 

frankysplace

Thanks for this I am using an iPhone 8 Plus. I wonder why this is the case. I wonder if there are any other iPhone user’s experiencing this. Here is what YouMail says for the iPhone this where I got the idea from. It seems others are having the same issue on other networks when enabling VoLTE. YouMail says….

1. Go to your iPhone's Settings app
  2. Go to "Cellular"
  3. Click "Cellular Data Options"
  4. Tap "Enable LTE"
  5. Click "Off"
  6. Turn on and off airplane mode 
  7. Start Youmail. 
    Remember to toggle airplane mode on/off to switch back to LTE.

@frankysplace- In my case, I don't have volte enabled on the account (that I know of) and the toggle isn't there and calls use 3G anyway and I can't use the dial codes in either 3G only or LTE/3G/2G. So your findings are apparently not universal.

frankysplace

@frankysplace   again with this settings, you left your voice on 3G?

frankysplace

Here how I got my You Mail to work after being upgraded to VoLTE on my iPhone 8 Plus. In settings go to cellular. Then cellular data options, tap voice and data and select 3G. Then reset your iPhone. Then, this for the the Toronto You Mail forwarding number. You can replace with your local You Mail forwarding number. Dial this number in your dialer *004*6476941780*30#. You can set the number of rings by setting the time in seconds. I chose 30 sec *30 After that set your data options back to LTE and reset your iPhone. I think the issue is these are gsm codes thus they only work if you are on the 3G network. I can confirm that you have to turn off VoLTE in order to do conditional call forwarding. 

@Nezgar wrote:

@LitlLdy wrote:

*004*5068028520#

I can use the star codes to check what my voicemail # is along with all the other star codes.

Thanks for the details. I hadn't tried setting it with *004 actually (which does *61/*62/*67 all together) but alas when I try now I still just get "Connection problem or invalid MMI code". Are you on an iPhone? I'm Android. Maybe a difference there too. I don't have an iPhone to test my SIM in at hand.

@Nezgar , yes I’m using an iPhone. All I will use anymore 🤣. I used ##004# to double check that it would also undo/reset it which it did.

Sorry for the late reply I’ve been sick since last week so I’m dragging!

@John_Hey wrote:

do you know how it was fixed? I still have issue

@LitlLdyindicated above they were able to get it resolved by pressing CS Agents to get it fixed for them.

John_Hey

do you know how it was fixed? I still have issue

@LitlLdy wrote:

*004*5068028520#

I can use the star codes to check what my voicemail # is along with all the other star codes.

Thanks for the details. I hadn't tried setting it with *004 actually (which does *61/*62/*67 all together) but alas when I try now I still just get "Connection problem or invalid MMI code". Are you on an iPhone? I'm Android. Maybe a difference there too. I don't have an iPhone to test my SIM in at hand.

@Nezgar wrote:

@LitlLdy wrote:

@dust2dust , I had to create a support ticket & push to get mine fixed! I told them it broke when VoLTE was enabled on my account 3 days ago but used to always work! I can give up on some things but not the things I use & need! I can be pretty stubborn! Please create a ticket & ask them to send it to tech support to fix it on the back end for you.

Edit: I need to say I’m pretty happy its now fixed! I think I’m pretty easy to make happy! 🤣 Fix what used to always work!

I will consider contacting them if I am still unable to set custom conditional forwards after my return from USA travel. 🙂 In the pre-VoLTE world, conditional forwards never worked anyway while roaming in the USA with Public Mobile.

I'm curious though in your current state if you are able to configure the three conditional forwards at will using either the menu options in the phone app, as well as with the direct *61, *62, *63, *004 codes? As well as if you let the YouMail app do the configuring for you?

Thanks - N

Edit: I'm also using it with a "borderline modern" 2017 BlackBerry KeyONE running android 8.1, so I'm chuffed that PM is letting me use VoLTE at all. I don't want to jinx it. 🙂

@Nezgar , I can only call forward 1 phone number in my iPhone settings. I used the codes using the dialer on the phone to number for conditional call forwarding for the YouMail #. Then activated YouMail. Thats the only call forwarding I tried. 

Edit:
The YouMail # I used conditional call forwarding to is 

*004*5068028520#

@LitlLdy wrote:

@dust2dust , I had to create a support ticket & push to get mine fixed! I told them it broke when VoLTE was enabled on my account 3 days ago but used to always work! I can give up on some things but not the things I use & need! I can be pretty stubborn! Please create a ticket & ask them to send it to tech support to fix it on the back end for you.

Edit: I need to say I’m pretty happy its now fixed! I think I’m pretty easy to make happy! 🤣 Fix what used to always work!

I will consider contacting them if I am still unable to set custom conditional forwards after my return from USA travel. 🙂 In the pre-VoLTE world, conditional forwards never worked anyway while roaming in the USA with Public Mobile.

I'm curious though in your current state if you are able to configure the three conditional forwards at will using either the menu options in the phone app, as well as with the direct *61, *62, *63, *004 codes? As well as if you let the YouMail app do the configuring for you?

Thanks - N

Edit: I'm also using it with a "borderline modern" 2017 BlackBerry KeyONE running android 8.1, so I'm chuffed that PM is letting me use VoLTE at all. I don't want to jinx it. 🙂

@dust2dust wrote:

I'm also not in a rush. I was just reporting back for all readers that maybe it still won't work for them. I can wait for all these things to settle down.

I got a bravo from J_PM for my inquiry about filtering devices for volte eligibility. ?? How about a reply. It should be all capable devices. Mine is, from another service.

Adding - ah! this stupid white box that makes me wait to do a tag and then I forget. @LitlLdy 

@dust2dust, a reply would be nice. I agree it should be for all capable devices! My 6S is compatible but not with Public Mobile!

I'm also not in a rush. I was just reporting back for all readers that maybe it still won't work for them. I can wait for all these things to settle down.

I got a bravo from J_PM for my inquiry about filtering devices for volte eligibility. ?? How about a reply. It should be all capable devices. Mine is, from another service.

Adding - ah! this stupid white box that makes me wait to do a tag and then I forget. @LitlLdy 

@dust2dust wrote:

@LitlLdy- Whatever they did is not network-wide. The dial code or dialer still doesn't work for me.

Need Help? Let's chat.