cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Competitors or Public Mobile still?

Angelic_Fille90
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hey guys, hope you are all having a good weekend.

Now, we all know they're competing companies out there. Such as one that rhymes with 'matter'. 😂

My question is this: Should someone switch to a competitor or stay with Public Mobile? 

22 REPLIES 22

Zyl
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Angelic_Fille90 wrote:

Now, we all know they're competing companies out there. Such as one that rhymes with 'matter'. 😂

My question is this: Should someone switch to a competitor or stay with Public Mobile? 

I would stay with Public Mobile.  It's cheap, has wide network coverage as backed by the Telus, has great customer service to answer my question and resolve my issues, has ways for you to earn to reduce your plan cost and also you get free gift at the end of the year. 🙂  I also like the fact that they reward you for loyalty in $ terms.  Many companies don't.  They shower new customers with all kinds of special deals and discounts that they don't make available or refuse to make available to existing customers and at the same time keep increasing the cost to existing customers. 

So so far I am staying.          

treefrog
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Angelic_Fille90 

I like the free add on gifts we have gotten from pm in the past and the rewards don't hurt either. What really works for me is when I'm sent to one of my jobs more remote locations and I use my work phone I can easily suspend my account when I'm away. Why pay for service if you don't really need it?

@pkaraa 

The RBC promo ended September 30th 2019. I switched my main account from telus on that deal with $10 off for 6 months $40+ plans and a 5gb bonus data add on.

pkaraa
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

The reward system is great at PM, Autopay to start with and then loyalty, referrals and community help. Whatever plan you have, you save a few bucks every month. People like @darlicious have tons of bonuses (whats that RBC bonus :0) and some are earning rewards more than they are paying for the plan.

So if you are into faster network(VoLTE) or calling customer support then you can compare but if you are good with explaining problems here in the community and like to earn rewards then stay. 

carlaspapa
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Angelic_Fille90 

The rewards are worth staying at public mobile. My $15 plan now costs $9. With $3 more coming in loyalty I will be down to $6. Where else can you get a cell phone plan for $6? Or less even?

Korth
Mayor / Maire

If you're the type of person who always wants the best deal available right now, who's always chasing after a better deal - switching between carriers will let you score things like discounts and bonus data whenever they're being offered. There's always a promo somewhere else, there's always some sort of incentive to attract signups. Go to Lucky, go to Chatr, to Virgin, to Fido, to Koodo, to Freedom, come back to Public - every jump will getcha a few more GB to consume.

If you're the type of person who prefers to avoid all the hassle of moving around - repeated number ports, repeated SIM card purchases, constant activation and deactivation surcharges, endless prowling the websites in search of a "better" deal - then staying with Public Mobile is worthwhile and pays off in the long run. No other provider gives you Loyalty rewards/discounts on every bill. No other provider gives you ongoing Referral rewards/discounts on every bill. No other provider applies zero hidden charges onto your bill. No other provider has ever given free no-strings-attached gifts.

That being said ... Public Mobile's online-only DIY service and support model isn't for everyone. My tech-dinosaur parents were happy to move away from Public Mobile - and I was happy to allow random point-of-sale retail staff take all of my parents' endless phone problems away from me.

And, like every other carrier, Public Mobile (Telus/etc) cannot possibly have coverage everywhere. When some networks have good service in your area and other networks lack good service in your area then your decision is already made for you - no awesome plan, product, or promo is worth purchasing if you can't make any use of it.

@Angelic_Fille90 

Keep in mind that if you are on a grandfathered plan you may have full speed 4G LTE data that newer plans do not have...consider this if you are thinking of changing plan on your next renewal. All plans are currently 30 days. 90 day plans are no longer offered.

Rewards and freebies definitely keep me here and the fact I no longer have to pay for my two accounts ($10 50/50 plan and the $15 plan.) Rewards since joining public mobile 27 months ago=$765😃!!

Freebies earned, won or otherwise:

Listed as 1 1GB Add-onListed as 1 1GB Add-onScreenshot_20211124-134412~3.pngScreenshot_20211124-134412~2.png

@Angelic_Fille90   the service with PM is as good as you can get with other networks.  

It is more whether you like the support model here or whether you actually saving money by switching, or if you really need the extra data by paying more.

As to the support, personally I am ok with it.  Afterall, how often you need to call support for your mobile service.  For me, once in a while.  PM might not reply immediately, but calling to talk to live person also have to wait long on the line "for the next available customer service".   

You have any specific offer in your mind that you are considering to move on to?

Powell
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Stay. I like that they reward loyalty. Easy to work your bill down. 

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

@Angelic_Fille90 wrote:

Based on your personal use/needs and what you want to pay for mobile service and what rewards that you see you can achieve, only you can do a comparison to make the decision to ”My question is this: Should someone switch to a competitor or stay with Public Mobile?”

As much as some want to complain about “no one to speak to” I find for the $15 plan (as a CTRC mandate) along with the rewards opportunities and  add ons that don’t expire to be the best thought out and affordable plan available.  

I don’t think there is anything here that would be in the “entitled to” category…IE: there for you to claim but you are missing out by not claiming. All rewards and perks automatically show up on your account and reduce your 30 or 90 day bill accordingly. The only exception is that PM has offered Christmas Gifts the last two years in a row. Christmas 2019 they added the. To our accounts automatically (I believe) but last year you had to log in and claim then so too late now if not done. But…. Christmas 2021 is very close… keep checking back here and watching for text message announcements. Hopefully this will be year number three.

AE_Collector

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Angelic_Fille90 wrote:

“To Go, or not to GO, that is the question”

Depends on your usage..  If you are low usage customer on $15.. there is really not many deals other than one month free pop up occasionally

if you on plans $40 and above.. or you need a new phone, then maybe you should look into switching.

with porting can be easily done .. people move back and forth to get free months and good deals and then switch again.  Just make sure you remember there might be small cost like  SIM cost  (sometime, it could be free if you activate instore)... and remember to watch out for contract time 

Loyalty rewards?  most you got is $5. .so, if you got the saving > loyalty cost.. that is not a concern 

Friend referral?  depends on your number of friends

Community reward?  maybe the saving enugh for you to stay away from "refreshing" Community page every second.. Community reward is basically an hourly rate of 1 or 2 cents.. LoL

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Angelic_Fille90 : Screenshots without personal information are all we need. We can help you too. But if you're in contact with an agent then oh well.

Angelic_Fille90

@esjliv wrote:

@Angelic_Fille90 wrote:

Yes, I've been with the community for a LONG time now.

I must have discount points that I don't know of. 😂

@Angelic_Fille90  Yes - you MUST!

Have you ever created a Self Serve account, or logged into it?

Register for one here, if you have never created one: https://selfserve.publicmobile.ca/self-registration/

If you are on an older plan, there may even be one that is currently offered with Public Mobile that may even be better than what you are on now.

Current plans here:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/qc/plans

Easy peasy to change plans through your Self Serve account; but that depends on your current plan.

I'm currently speaking with one agent about this and seeing what I'm entitled to. 

@Angelic_Fille90 wrote:

@Angelic_Fille90  Yes - you MUST!

Have you ever created a Self Serve account, or logged into it?

Register for one here, if you have never created one: https://selfserve.publicmobile.ca/self-registration/

If you are on an older plan, there may even be one that is currently offered with Public Mobile that may even be better than what you are on now.

Current plans here:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/qc/plans

Easy peasy to change plans through your Self Serve account; but that depends on your current plan.

@Angelic_Fille90 

Which plan are you on presently?  Some of the grandfathered plans were decent, but others are not competitive these days.  

Some of the real old grandfathered plans did not have rewards also.  As mentioned before, a screenshot of your overview page would provide useful information about your plan and rewards.  

@Angelic_Fille90 wrote:

@Angelic_Fille90 As others have noted, there are various incentives to keep you here. If you have been here since 2015 you already get the max loyalty reward of $5 per 30 days . I'm on the $15 plan and with rewards and bonuses my plans are very cheap, cheaper than I can get elsewhere.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Angelic_Fille90 : Maybe you'd like to post a screenshot of your overview page. Blank out personal info of course.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

It depends on what your needs are.  PM provides opportunities to save money with rewards like autopay, referrals, and loyalty.  Also they only provide online support.  They sometimes give out bonus freebies like free data and minutes. Also no contracts or long term commitments.

Angelic_Fille90

@HALIMACS wrote:

@Angelic_Fille90 wrote:

Well that is the magic question, @Angelic_Fille90 

If you've been with Public Mobile for over 1 year, you're gaining a Loyalty reward of $1 off per cycle.   For each year you remain, that'll increase by $1 per cycle up to $5 for each cycle payment.

There's also the $2 per cycle discount for being on auto-pay here - nice gesture.

As far as data goes, if that's not too important to you, then 3G is likely all you need.

IF you're one of those high demand data users who want instant results, then you may wish to seek out 4G or 5G services.

EDIT:   Here's the great thing about Public Mobile:   you're not locked into anything, you can leave anytime and you're only really out the cost of the SIM card and any available funds you may have.   BUT, you will lose your earned rewards for any referrals or years of service - so consider those potential lost benefits.

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@Angelic_Fille90 

It really depends on each person's individual situation and preference.   The rewards system is what separates Public mobile from other tier 3 companies like Lucky and Chatr.  The longer you stay with PM, the harder to leave PM.  For example if you say with PM for five years and longer, you will receive $5/month loyalty rewards + $2/month autopay rewards. If you refereed any friends, that would be extra monthly reward.  

In general, the lower cost plans like $15 or $25/month are competitive.  The higher data plans are not as competitive as other companies including the big three.  For example, with Black Friday deals, you can get 10 GB of LTE data for about $40 per month including some decent deals for subsidized phones.  IF you need more options like international roaming, LTE data, Wifi calling, VoLTE, eSIM, then other companies may be better. 

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@Angelic_Fille90 wrote:

Well that is the magic question, @Angelic_Fille90 

If you've been with Public Mobile for over 1 year, you're gaining a Loyalty reward of $1 off per cycle.   For each year you remain, that'll increase by $1 per cycle up to $5 for each cycle payment.

There's also the $2 per cycle discount for being on auto-pay here - nice gesture.

As far as data goes, if that's not too important to you, then 3G is likely all you need.

IF you're one of those high demand data users who want instant results, then you may wish to seek out 4G or 5G services.

EDIT:   Here's the great thing about Public Mobile:   you're not locked into anything, you can leave anytime and you're only really out the cost of the SIM card and any available funds you may have.   BUT, you will lose your earned rewards for any referrals or years of service - so consider those potential lost benefits.

Need Help? Let's chat.