cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Rewards Allocation

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

Community contributions

The creation of the new community board and recent updates and possible upcoming ones to the çommunity forum and rewards for participation has generated some talk among members about equities. There has long been speculation about how the community reward is calculated, the participation required and the type of post and board it should be in depending on wheher its worthy for bravos or the post itself should count towards a members participation to generate a community reward.
      I have argued the lounge vs discussions ( no longer a generic board) which in my mind is settled. But more frequently i hear members mentioning that it is true help/support that should count towards the community reward and not discussion of relevant topics such as this one or telus network coverage vs the competition or for that matter some of the announcement threads.
Given the possibility of change in the formula, the distribution, the monetary amounts and/or the number of contributors recieving a reward ( there has been a significant downward trend) Encouraging and rewarding all members who participate in the community is important as it saves public mobile moderator time and increases effiency to better provide customer support in the areas necessary to provide good customer service.
          I pulled some statistics from the July participants to illustrate some of the shortcomings of the current system that short changes some members yet overcompensates others for their personal contributions. With the total monetary reward now under $400 per month (June was $387) an equitable distribution of the reward compensation for the invaluable time and commitment members allocate to public mobile is vital for the continued success of the community and its retainment of members that possess such a wide ranging level of skill, knowledge and expertise.

Member#/ posts / bravos / tcatb* /reward $ / *top contributors announcement thread bravos earned by member

1.   1/14/14     $1
  2.   1/21/0       $1
  3.   1/23/23     $1
  4.   2/ 4 / 4       $1
  5.   30/14/3     $1 
  6.    9/15/ 5     $1
  7.   7//33/14    $1
  8.   5/26/15     $1
  9.   4/23/14     $2
  10.   8/35/12     $2
  11.  16/39/2      $2
  12.   23/58/8     $2
  13.   25/31/0     $2
  14.   25/60/12   $2
  15.   27/57/14   $2
  16.   26/51/11   $2
  17.   38/85/14   $2
  18.   58/90/ 0    $2 
  19.   68/138/14 $2
  20.   72/138/4   $2
  21.   78/147/15 $2

Edit: 1. The member made one post and earned 14 bravos. All 14 bravos came from the announcement thread. The member recieved a top 50% badge and a $1 reward.

Do you think the distribution in the top 25% ($2) and top 50% ($1) properly reflects the members contribution and how would you change the rewards allocation given the opportunity?

67 REPLIES 67

carlaspapa
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Thanks for the explanation darlicious. I never quite understood how the Community rewards are distributed but looks like there's been less and less of them though. I still got $1 last month so I'm happy with that even though I didn't seem be on all that much.

@gpixel wrote:

with the promo that was just offered, inducing more participation. it looks like August is going to be a good month! 👍

There isn't any ways for members to know for sure. Public Mobile doesn't tell us how much/how many people will receive rewards and how they decide that. For all way know, more participation could just end up meaning that more of that participation is needed to earn a Community reward.

with the promo that was just offered, inducing more participation. it looks like August is going to be a good month! 👍

tangycandy
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Thanks!

@tangycandy 

If you are referring to my post on page 5 its the breakdown of community reward recipients per month for 2020 as follows:

Oracles/top 1%/top 5%/top 10%/top 25%/top 50% =(total)+ (number of solutions each month)

CFPartDeux

@tangycandy wrote:

I don't understand this list either. What do the dates mean? 

Assuming you're referring to the list in the 1st post in this thread, and not the one on Page 5, what dates are you talking about?

tangycandy
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I don't understand this list either. What do the dates mean? 

@ShawnC13 

It looks like I have another member spoiling for a post fight run down!  Plus you dont resort to dirty tricks so i know you'll want to wait until I'm done rehabbing and I'm back down to my fighting weight

@CFPartDeux 

Its always been 12 rounds in the past i dont see why we would change what works!

CFPartDeux

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

Even  @ShawnC13    has changed his tone, adjusted how he delivers his statements. He doesnt rub me the wrong way nearly as much as he used to.......and it shows. We havent had a big blow out in a few months .....if miracles will never cease! Attitudes can change by working together we can all achieve a common goal. 

Have I, or are people starting to get a bit of a thicker skin?  I am always ready and on guard, so if you feel it is overdue just let me know!! lol

So, what are we talkin' about here - plain old boxing, or are you two gettin' into the octagon!? 🤣

@ShawnC13 

Ummmm.....thx not tonight maybe we can stick to just bickering!

@darlicious wrote:

Even  @ShawnC13    has changed his tone, adjusted how he delivers his statements. He doesnt rub me the wrong way nearly as much as he used to.......and it shows. We havent had a big blow out in a few months .....if miracles will never cease! Attitudes can change by working together we can all achieve a common goal. 

Have I, or are people starting to get a bit of a thicker skin?  I am always ready and on guard, so if you feel it is overdue just let me know!! lol

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@will13am wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

@gpixel 

What bothers me is the top 10% numbers....dropping by 25% it seems to me there are 2 - 3 members feeling a little short changed on their reward. Its not about the money (well it is kind of...) but really the symbolism. Dont you feel cheated if you dont get your toy in the cracker jack box?

Ah so this is the bitter truth.  It has always been known that community support is a labor of love and not a money making scheme.  Anyone with a view that it is about the money will always be bitter and never satisfied.  As for the 2-3 members feeling short changed, they should come out and speak for themselves.  Let me guess, you and gato are the two of the unsatisfied members.  Perhaps you can put all the analytics to work and do what you need to do to earn that buck "efficiently".  

@will13am 
         Gee......are you saying out of the 150 or so members that contribute to the community in a somewhat regular fashion that the dissatisfied ones are me (darlicious and on occasion maximum_gato) and presumably  @pm-smayer97  ? A whopping 2% of regular contributors? That is assuming on your part that we are dissatisfied with our reward. From what ive read from  @pm-smayer97  's posts if he wanted to contribute more he would....i hardly see him fixated on the amount he recieves rather fascinated by the mystery of the community reward as is almost every newcomer posing the question " How can i earn $20 on the community?" Its a strong draw to public mobile and as said a very powerful marketing tool. It drew me to public mobile....low prices and a chance to bring my bill down to $0. (Two bills actually)

But you seem intent on shaming anyone asking the harder questions or with any curiosity on how the community reward system works or is administered. There probably should be better oversight. Look what happened with the December top contributors.  Had pm assigned someone to take an hour and look at the numbers that mess of an announcement would have never happened. In fact its quite telling......that there is in fact no attention put on or oversight into the rewards allocation as no one even proof read that announcement. The instant it was posted every member here looked at it and went "Who the heck are these people in the top 1%? There was barely a recognizable name in the top two categories. It was a costly mistake for pm as well....easily doubling what was " budgeted " for rewards that month.

You are always on the look out for gamers of the system. Happily throwing out accusations or at the very least insinuations  based on assumptions not really on truth or with evidence to back up your claims. Just a sharp tongue and an authoritative stance. I thought oracles were superusers with a bundle of knowledge chosen by public mobile to represent the brand and be a good example on how to conduct oneself on the community. To lead by example, mentor new members, embrace the terms of service by not only enforcing it but following it as well.  Are we not supposed to look up to an oracle? Strive to be like them, emulate them and one day possibly achieve the same position if one had that desire? Instead this seems to be more of a case of do as i say not as i do........ i posted earlier in this thread some of the guidelines being stressed for us to follow as community members.....to be welcoming, colllaborative and understanding.

If you disagree with someone or want to provide a correction, please do so courteously and kindly.

Are your posts in this thread directed solely at me your version of kind, understanding and courteous? If they are remind me to never get on your naughty list! Customer support entails good customer service and how you speak to someone is an important part of that. Even  @ShawnC13    has changed his tone, adjusted how he delivers his statements. He doesnt rub me the wrong way nearly as much as he used to.......and it shows. We havent had a big blow out in a few months .....if miracles will never cease! Attitudes can change by working together we can all achieve a common goal. Thats to make the community better not descend into derision simply because we dont hold the same point of view.  You certainly didnt seem that way a year ago when I joined the community you embodied the image i had of an oracle.....

As far as my community reward for july goes it certainly isnt what I'm used to earning....nor was june's but given the constraints i had to contribute under and imposed on poor max as well in july im surprised i earned anything at all. If your anyway curious you can of course look up my badges in my profile. Contrary to your belief i would be crazy if i was doing this for the monetary reward and especially after all the grief in the last two months. I do it because i like to help people! Why would i need the reward anyhow? In two weeks all my contributions to hopefully make the community a better place will come home to roost......i will never have to pay for either of my accounts ever again.....they will be permanently free! So no i dont need to grovel for my community reward but i'll advocate for others and i will always .....if i see something i will say something.

CFPartDeux

@pm-smayer97 wrote:

@will13am  regardless of whether you agree that there is an issue or not, why do you resort to being so condescending?

Because he clearly doesn't like this type of thread, and simply can't let it die a natural death, aaaaand, cuz that's how he rolls.

As an oracle, you should have a much higher standard. That is one thing I wish PM would monitor more closely and not allow it's "oracles" to behave this way.

Amen to that! Then this place might actually be closer to the "welcoming & harmonious community" that PM envisions it to be.

@will13am  regardless of whether you agree that there is an issue or not, why do you resort to being so condescending?

As an oracle, you should have a much higher standard. That is one thing I wish PM would monitor more closely and not allow it's "oracles" to behave this way.

@gpixel wrote:

seems like in June when pm changed the formula the rewards were affected..

thank you for your post 👏

👁🍉🍭🔓🍉🍭🔢

they have changed it as far back as last summer when mod Andu_S first came on board in the community. It was VERY clear as of that point with a large SUDDEN change. And I suspect it as been changed other times since and before.

@gpixel wrote:

@darlicious I understand.. 

if you find out the members who aren't receiving rewards anymore, you might find the answer you're looking for. find out who the missing 24 members are

Well, I'll speak up and say I am one of those....

I used to fairly easily reach the 10% once in a while (not consistent because my participation was not consistent; I use the word 'participation' loosely, meaning earning braves, solutions, and all that jazz) but I knew something was up since last summer when I started to observe the number of reward earners consistently decrease.

That is also when I noticed that I suddenly fell to the 50% group 3 months ago, even though my participation was about the same for many months in a row AND the number of other participants decreased, which should have worked in my favour but it worked the opposite. Since then, I have noticed that I barely make the 25% group for no other obvious reason than PM clearly keeps tweaking the formula, as observed by the fact that MANY FEWER people are earning higher rewards.

I do feel that it is a GOOD thing that PM rewards even $1 regardless of level of contribution because that is incentive to stay involved. I also recognize that no approach will be perfect... it is a balance of what metrics to use and/or are even available vs amount of time and effort to apply those metrics (how much resource to place towards implementation) vs limitations of the platform being used (this forum is a third party tool afterall) vs budgets or other business constraints, or to summarize, a cost vs benefits trade-off for this Community Rewards feature.

I also get it... PM cannot divulge the formula because

1. it clearly changes
  2. clearly it is based on some combination of Bravos, Solutions, # participants, possibly still # posts, and clearly other unknown metrics.
  3. they do not want people gaming the system, requiring more monitoring to keep it "fair" (subject to anyone's definition as to what is "fair").
  4. it may be affected by budget changes or other changes in definition and PM does not need to or have to justify their actions or choices

But I do agree that the fact that the significant drop in the number of earners is very unfortunate and do wish there was a "fairer" (again a subjective definition) or at least more obvious and consistent approach. But not sure there are any good formulas without knowing what PM's restrictions are to the whole reward system. Because this is a business (and not some government program with bottomless pockets) they surely have a predefined budget that cannot be ignored, and who knows how significant a factor this plays.

Anyway, just some of my musings and thoughts...

@mimmo 

Youve made an excellent suggestion...... correlating your contribution level to gold, silver, bronze taking the numbers (percentages) right out of it. Its already represented that way in the colour of the badges handed out and there would be less scrutiny on the actual numbers.

The participation levels are most likely the reason for drop in the amount of rewardees. Im a little surprised  that didnt go with an even 100. Percentage wise its always been (for the past year anyways) generally a 25 %/75 % split between higher levels and top 25% and 50%. It is unusual though to have just a one member more in the top 10% compared to the top 5%..

And I also whole heartedly agree doing away with bravos counting in the announcement threads. That alone would do away with most of the extraneous bravos by just showing up once in a while to post in announcement thread and  force a member to chose between learning and lending a hand or just being the casual observer.

@darlicious wrote:

@gpixel 

What bothers me is the top 10% numbers....dropping by 25% it seems to me there are 2 - 3 members feeling a little short changed on their reward. Its not about the money (well it is kind of...) but really the symbolism. Dont you feel cheated if you dont get your toy in the cracker jack box?

Ah so this is the bitter truth.  It has always been known that community support is a labor of love and not a money making scheme.  Anyone with a view that it is about the money will always be bitter and never satisfied.  As for the 2-3 members feeling short changed, they should come out and speak for themselves.  Let me guess, you and gato are the two of the unsatisfied members.  Perhaps you can put all the analytics to work and do what you need to do to earn that buck "efficiently".  

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@darlicious wrote:

@gpixel 

@darlicious personally I never liked the % terms  i have felt gold silver bronze etc would be be a better way especially since the number of people receiving rewards doesn't  correspond to mathematically to percentages.

could the drop in 10% be because of fewer members this month?   it is a formula after all, and math should not lie 🙂  

Maybe PM should go back to its old community rewards quantities I think $10 was the max (might have been less) , or get rid of the financial aspect and move  towards a non monetary reward or none at all??

@ShawnC13 uh oh, oh well. take care! I'll see everyone in a while.

@gpixel, impersonating someone is against the ToS

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@darlicious I understand.. 

if you find out the members who aren't receiving rewards anymore, you might find the answer you're looking for. find out who the missing 24 members are

Since someone wants to drag me into this thread, I'll make one thing clear.  I have not participated in this thread and have not made any edits.  Impersonating me is neither funny nor appreciated.

@gpixel 

seems like in June when pm changed the formula the rewards were affected..

thank you for your post 👏

👁🍉🍭🔓🍉🍭🔢

@mimmo 

Your synopsis makes sense and i suppose the bar was lowered marginally this month with the inclusion of the member#1 w/2posts and 4 bravos.  With pm sticking hard and fast to percentages  rather than a quick review to "tweak" the numbers they could easily solve the inequities by creating a blurred line between the top 25% and top 10%. The same could be true between the top 10% and top 5% when members stats are a virtual tie but one or the other gets allocated to the lower category. The emphasis is supposed to be on quallitive posts instead its trending the opposite way.  I wish @maximum_gato had posted in the announcement thread instead of darlicious just to prove my point. With two posts and a current total of 27 bravos maximum_gato would guarantee  himself a top 25% badge and a $2 reward the same reward darlicious earned for july with far more effort and time spent than two posts.

The annual trend of less and less rewards and badges continues but going by the solution rate it doesnt mean there are less problems to solve. Here are the top contributors stats since the beginning of 2020 in descending order from oracles followed by the solution rate.

1. January:   8/ 3/10/14/30/70 = 135   (537)
  2. February   6/ 3/11/14/42/71 = 147  (435)
  3. March       6/ 3/ 9/12/35/60  = 125  (423)
  4. April          6 /4/13/16/43/84 = 166  (428)
  5. May          5/ 3/ 9/12/34/60   = 123  (370)
  6. June         5/ 2/ 8/ 9/27/48    =   99  (462)
  7. July          5/ 2/ 8/ 9/29/46    =   99  (449)

Interestingly there has been a higher percentage of solutions with less reward recipients. I guess pm's cheap workforce must be scared to lose there jobs and have increased efficiency and production to compensate.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@darlicious , can't recall if it was mentioned, but  I think what you have identified  is that there is significantly fewer total users and  fewer  moderately active  the community, thanks to simon, and fewer issues, and the few super users who answer /comment on every thread. thus the bar has been set much lower to to receive a reward as you identified.

Results are based on a formula, based on Bravo's, posts etc..   I doubt pm is going to have someone quality control the results. But  tweaks can be made when issues are identified

edit removed bold

@Anonymous 

My point exactly.....im happy to hear youre not whining about it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Back with the gender. Whining is not a gender specific activity.

Need Help? Let's chat.