cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chinese Unlocked Phone Recommendation

toteng
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Which specific Chinese unlocked phone brand / specific model works well with Public mobile in terms of calling and texting reception? data reception? (brands/models with minimal to no issues at all)

I was looking to get a Poco F3 but I've read a few threads saying that they are encountering issues with reception.

I'm trying to shop around for other options and see what other people have actually used without problems.

Thanks!

9 REPLIES 9

Bubba
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Thanks for reporting back on your experience with the poco f3 phone.

Too many people ask a questions, get answers form others and then totally disappear

toteng

Hi everyone,

Just a quick update, I was able to get a Poco F3 and it seems to work well in my location.

I believe I was able to get a Poco F3 global version. I purchased it from a retail store in the Philippines. I believe other options to buy it are only in the official Poco online store in aliexpress if you are purchasing from Canada.

From my own experience, short answer is: Poco F3 works with Public Mobile network. I didn't have any major issues.

I am currently in Surrey BC Canada. I mostly text and sms people from all around Metro Vancouver. It seems okay.

My plan is the $15/month plan - basic texting and calling with 250 mb data. When I turn on my data, i seem to have 4G or 4G+. I was able to see H+ when i first loaded my sim but it was steady after that.

With the 4G/4G+, i got a 3.14 Mbps from speedtest in ookla. 

the only thing i noticed is that the signal bar always looks empty or it has only one or two bars out of 5 full bars.

I just wanted to share my experience with everyone else but still purchase at your own risk.

Thanks! 🙂

@toteng 

Apparently, Samsung are having problems sell their “A” series phones so expect big discounts to reduce stock at their warehouses.

toteng

Thanks! I think I saw this information on the other threads too.

As for the suggestion, I've been looking at Samsung's A series as well. I will highly consider this now as alternative.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@toteng 

Here are the bands the F3 has and the BOLD are the compatible ones on PM network:

3G bands HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100
4G bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 17, 20, 28, 38, 40, 41, 66

Looking at this, it should work well.

However, check this thread, at least 2 members reported issue on both PM and Telus:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/poco-F3-Global-version-having-problem-wit...

This is exactly why I do not suggest getting international phones.  While it should work, but it might not pass the real world test.  Also, it might be hard to get support from the vendor as this is not a phone designed here, they likely won't offer much help if you have issue

If you have $500 budget, Check if you like Samsung A53.  It has its good and bad compare with Poco F3 

toteng

Thanks! Yeah I saw the Poco F3 is compatible with PM but a few users have reported some issues with reception etc.

toteng

Thank you for that info. I just wanted to see which international phones have other people tried without issues on PM.

I'm looking for an all around phone under $500

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@toteng 

Looks like your Poco F3 is compatible with PM on 3G and 4G/LTE.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@toteng   Personally, I don't suggest international phones.  They are a bit cheaper, but they do not have all the bands needed for PM.  They do have some compatible bands, but with some missing bands, you might not get as good the reception.  

What is your price range?  Maybe we can suggest some phones designed for Canadian market that will work great on PM 

Need Help? Let's chat.