cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Checking voicemail from non-Public Mobile phone

Pat2023
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I didn't expect to be charged minutes when calling to check my voicemail from a non-Public Mobile phone.. But that doesn't seem to be the case when I check my usage history. I called my Public Mobile phone number from a land line, let it go to voice mail and pressed * to reach my voicemail. I found about 2 minutes of time charged every time I checked voicemail. I thought all incoming calls to my Public Mobile phone are free.  Am I missing something?  Why was I charged?  

12 REPLIES 12

drsiha
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

You are correct.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/set-up-voicemail

Calling your voicemail will cost you minutes, no matter from your phone or other number.

If you really care about this, my suggestion is to set up Extended Absence Greeting which doesn't allow caller leaving VMs.

@softech wrote:

@wetcoaster reply and push for escalation 

Since I apparently need more screen shots etc to prove that I'm not just making this up it's not going to happen today. I have real life stuff to attend to.

Update: the last reply was a bit closer to the mark (quote of some tier 2 findings) but I'll still have to sit down later and test (and document) some more.

@wetcoaster reply and push for escalation 

@wetcoaster wrote:

@Nezgar wrote:

@softech wrote:

this is the test result from @Williamlu1166 

a. dialed the 4001 from the normal dialer, no mins added.

b. dialed the 4001 from TextNow, no mins added.

c. dialed PM number from the normal dialer, mins added.

d. dialed PM number from TextNow, mins added.

Interesting re test "d" - I just tested this and confirmed myself that calling my own PM number either from TextNow, or from any other landline phone, (even for someone to just leave me a message, or a spammer to hang up after 2 seconds of going to voicemail, mins are added!

Someone leaving me voicemail is not supposed to use minutes. (I am using the $15/100 minutes plan) I suspect this is related to work going on with the VoLTE transition...

Same results here. Hopefully this get's sorted soon.

After more testing with the same result, I decided to check in with CSA. This should not happen, and, since it's not just the OP and me, they should be aware that the problem exists.

The CSA (apparently) reset the account, told me to test incoming and outgoing calls again after a reboot. When they asked about my device and if data was working it occured to me that they might not have understood what I was reporting.

Now they insist that I dialed voicemail from my phone on all those test calls from the other phone (They do look the same in the new account interface's usage history...) and that I should buy more minutes or change plans. 

*sigh*

@Nezgar wrote:

@softech wrote:

Interesting re test "d" - I just tested this and confirmed myself that calling my own PM number either from TextNow, or from any other landline phone, (even for someone to just leave me a message, or a spammer to hang up after 2 seconds of going to voicemail, mins are added!

Someone leaving me voicemail is not supposed to use minutes. (I am using the $15/100 minutes plan) I suspect this is related to work going on with the VoLTE transition...

Same results here. Hopefully this get's sorted soon.

@softech wrote:

HI @Pat2023 

it looks like you have to call the PM voicemail access number number from another phone to access your voicemail mailbox for it to free (instead of calling yourself from another phone) .  it could be because of the call forwarding problem after VoLTE enabled

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/Call-minutes-deducted-for-checking-voicem...

Please pick one of the voicemail access numbers in this link to call your voicemail mailbox and see if no minutes deduted.  Pick one close to you 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/Updated-list-of-Voicemail-Access-Numbers/...

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Pat2023   you just joined PM this month?  yes, PM could be counting your minutes for voicemail.

There is another post about that.  We are not sure if it is a glitch or if it is a new policy for new activation 

Please open a ticket with PM support and check.  Probably you need to ask for escalation to confirm (I am not sure if the junior agent can give you the correct answer)   Please come back and let us know what they say

To open ticket with PM support, 

1. Please open ticket via Chatbot (need access to My Account): At https://publicmobile.ca/chatbot.

Start by typing "Submit a ticket", then click "Contact Us", Then click "Other", then click "Click here to submit a ticket ↗" 

2. If you have trouble with Chatbot or you don't have access to My Account: Private message CS Agent at: 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

**Monitor your Community inbox (envelope icon on the top right) after the ticket is opened.  CS Agent will reply to you there

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@Pat2023 

When checking your voicemail by calling your number from another device, usage history will display it as a 'outgoing' call to PM's voicemail systems.   All that's happening is PM is forwarding the incoming call to it's voicemail system in your area code region.

These calls DO NOT reduce your outgoing calling minute allotment even though usage history shows it as an 'outgoing' call.

To test this, log into your self-serve, tap the refresher icon, then note your outgoing calling minutes.

Then, call the voicemail from another device to check.  

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@Pat2023 

log in on your laptop and try this little trick. It'll give you up-to-the-minute plan detail...

refresh.jpg

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

You cannot be charged to check voice mail accessing from any phone other than you mobile.

Only calling from your cell phone will count against your minutes (if you are on $15 plan).

There is No charge accessing voicemail.

chipmunk
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Are you actually charged? As in: before calling voice mail your available minutes in your account (log in with incognito) is xx, after you've called the same counter shows xx-2?

It's normal that all your calls are registered in the usage history, but it doesn't necessarily mean that they are deducted from your allotment. Also, calls that are deducted are rounded up to the next minute - ie 20seconds = 1minute, 1.01minute = 2 minutes.

If your minutes are indeed deducted you'll have to contact the CSA to have them look into your account.

Need Help? Let's chat.