cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing provinces but keeping my same phone number

Norma3
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

If I move to Manitoba but keep my Alberta phone number will I have to pay Manitoba pst?

4 REPLIES 4

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

@Norma3 As others have mentioned you will continue to pay only GST if you keep your Alberta number active with Public Mobile. However, you might want to get a local number in Manitoba for if anyone needs to call you that would be charged long distance to call your Alberta number if they don't have a long distance calling plan, which may occasionally still be the case for some landlines, businesses, etc.

You can get a free account and local Canadian number through VoIP app providers like TextNow, Fongo Mobile, or cheap (a few dollars per month) from places like Fongo Home Phone, NumberBarn, and VoIP.ms.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Norma3 

Nope your good....you will still only pay gst. Are you moving to Winnipeg or Brandon? While the elimination of the band B5 for voice calls has caused a few issues mainly in basements or large concrete buildings as long as you have a mainstream North American phone you should be unaffected. The enabling of VOLTE calling for pm customers may happen by the end of September which would eliminate that concern for the vast majority of pm customers in those two cities.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Norma3 no.  tax is charged based on where the phone number belongs, area code.  In yuur case, PM will continue charging AB tax

you just need to consider if it os convenient from your MB friends to call your AB number.  While Canada wide calling is common, there are still people on old plans and might need to pay Long Distance charge for out of province number

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

No, billing is based on the area code of the phone number that you have.

Edited to add: the thing to be aware of is that landlines in  Manitoba will have to call you long distance if you still have your Alberta number

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Need Help? Let's chat.