cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing my plan

SparkleHeart82
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I was wondering if someone could help me with this.

I joined up with Public Mobile sometime around February of this year and there was a 5GB promo with activation of your service with any plan $25 and up. I still have said data bonus completely untouched. For personal reasons, I want to switch to the $15 plan and I was wondering if I would lose the bonus data. Also, do I have to get a new SIM card for a plan change? I've never done this before so I could use a bit of help. 

Thanks

17 REPLIES 17

@SparkleHeart82 

Lol....I have had a few nervous moments myself. It's such a relief to have the cards go your way!😎

SparkleHeart82

@darlicious IKR? What a relief!

@SparkleHeart82 

Woohoo! Another risk taker got the big pay off!

SparkleHeart82

@darlicious my plan switched over and I didn't lose my 5GB bonus! 😊 Just thought I'd pop on and let you know. 

SparkleHeart82

@Anonymous yes the 5 GB was a one time offer when I activated 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@SparkleHeart82 

for 5GB promo is it a one time they applied to your account,

no need new SIM card for a plan change, 

the plan change with your account with the same your old SIM card and your phone number,

Here How Change Your Plan online,

When you’re changing your plan, you can choose to change immediately or at your next plan renewal date. To change your plan: sign in to Self-Serve, select ‘Change Plan’ on the Overview page, select the plan you want, and scroll to the bottom of the page.If you’re looking to apply a promotion to your plan, learn how you can do that Here link.

Changing your plan on the next plan renewal date 

We recommend you choose this option because it allows you to use the services you have already paid for until your next plan renewal date. Here are some things you should know about this option:

• If you choose to change your plan on your next plan renewal date, the amount owed will be automatically updated.
  • If you have AutoPay set up, the amount of your new plan will be charged on your payment due date.
  • You can cancel a future-dated plan change at any time by clicking on the ‘Plans and Add-Ons’ tab and selecting ‘Cancel Order’.
  • Any earned Rewards will be applied on your next renewal after the plan change.

Changing your plan immediately

You may choose to change your plan immediately if you have used all or most of your services, or if your account is suspended and you would like a different plan. Here are some things you should know about this option:

• There must be enough funds in your account to cover the full amount of the new plan.
  • A new payment cycle starts when you activate your new plan.
  • Your plan will not be prorated, which means that any days remaining in your current payment
  • Any earned Rewards will be applied on your next renewal after the plan change.
  • If your account is suspended – changing your plan is a 2-step process, so be sure to complete both steps or you may be left with partial or no service. Step 1 initiates the change, and step 2 reactivates your account via making a payment (if necessary).
    1. Make sure to review your details carefully before changing your plan - Once you click “Yes, change my plan”, all features from your current plan will be lost and the plan change will be completed, even if you do not make a payment in the second step.
    2. Top up your account with sufficient funds to reactivate your service - Since we are a prepaid service, you need to have the funds available for the plan change to fully take effect. If you only have partial funds in your account, or if you do not complete payment after changing your plan, you may be left with no or partial service. We have introduced several warnings to ensure you don’t leave the page without topping up, but figured we should mention it here as well. Note: If you have sufficient funds to cover your new plan,you won’t be taken to the payment menu.

What will happen if my payment wasn’t completed?

In this scenario, your account could still move from suspend to active, re-starting your plan cycle and potentially only reactivating a portion or none of your services. If you find yourself in this situation, simply go to the “Payment” tab in Self-Serve, choose “One Time Payment”, and opt to pay the “Amount Due”. This will cover the new plan cost less any partial payment that was taken. After successful payment, your services should be fully reactivated. If your services aren’t restored,please start a conversation with our virtual assistant, SIMon, to submit a ticket to Customer Support Agent by CS_Agent, click here link.

SparkleHeart82

@darlicious  I'll let you know what happens

@SparkleHeart82 

Your mileage may vary....in other words you may have a different experience. I cannot guarantee you won't lose it but chances are you won't. I took the chance myself and I kept it. So.....

SparkleHeart82

@JK8 yes it is

SparkleHeart82

@darlicious YMMV?

@SparkleHeart82 

Don't bother contacting a CSA. They only read from the script.

@JK8 

This is a case where the CSA will say you will lose it. Because that's what the promotion says but we know different. There is always a risk but it is very small in this case. But someone has to be the 1%.

@SparkleHeart82 

You have a 99% chance of keeping the promo even though the terms and conditions say otherwise. But I do have to say it's YMMV but of all of the accounts I manage there are 4 that have had a 5gb data add on promo that have changed to the $15 plan and have kept it. The most recent being activated over New Years and switching a couple of months later. 

Monthly plan data bonuses act in the opposite manner whereas you are 99% guaranteed you will lose it if you change plans.

LeePublic
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@SparkleHeart82 Sometimes they might let you keep the bonus data, other times they may take it away, so YMMV.

SparkleHeart82

It was an online promo.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't know what the terms were either. It might have been an in-store offer. There was no announcement made. These things are pretty YMMV though. Usually they will say that changing the plan will lose it. But then it ends up that it doesn't anyway.

JK8
Mayor / Maire

@SparkleHeart82 

You do not need a new sim. Do the plan change in self service. Choose change plan on next renewal date. If you choose change plan now you will not get any credit for any unused portion of your current plan. As for the 5 GB promo, I’m not sure what the terms were so another person may want to chime in like @Anonymous  or @darlicious or one of the Oracles.

When doing the plan change clear your cache and cookies and use incognito/private mode. Chrome or edge works well.

Need Help? Let's chat.