cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change number / port number

lila_may_qt
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hey guys!

I am splitting my numbers. I want to keep my existing phone number and put it on my partner's family account on Rogers. But I want to keep my account with PM for my business contact. For that I will need to have a new phone number. 

Its my understanding that when you port a number your PM account is closed automatically. I have a grandfathered plan and would like to keep it.

If I change the number to keep the account live, is that number released immediately to the general public? I've had my personal number for 20 years and would like to keep it too. 

Any guidance would be appreciated!

7 REPLIES 7

@Geraldcheng- In a properly functioning world, the account closes and everything stops. But we do hear of some people continuing to get charged. This ought to be a crime but here we are with uncaring authorities but they'll crawl all over you if you pick up your phone at a stop light. Ooo the danger. I digress.

Just watch your card at about the time of when the renewal would have happened. If nothing happens then you're good.

Another thing you can do is pause your card. If you know the night that the account would have renewed then pause the card. No payment would be able to be taken anyway.

@Geraldcheng wrote:

Do you what I could do if I didn’t remove autopay? It’s hard to get ahold of a public mobile customer service member. I’ve submitted a ticket, but I’m weary they will help because I had to verify my account, which is difficult because it’s closed since I ported my number out of PM. 

@Geraldcheng - you ported your Public Mobile phone number out to another provider and you are still being charged?

If you were able to successfully a ticket that is good, because you should inquire why this and have them remove any payment method they have.

Be persistent (respond to the message in your SENT messages to poke) if you don't hear from anyone in a few hours...well, during their working hours. 

Customer Support Agents are available:
  • Monday to Sunday: 6 AM to 10 PM EST

Geraldcheng
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Do you what I could do if I didn’t remove autopay? It’s hard to get ahold of a public mobile customer service member. I’ve submitted a ticket, but I’m weary they will help because I had to verify my account, which is difficult because it’s closed since I ported my number out of PM. 

.. but the issue is I doubt they can release you the number so fast.  They have to "put it on shelf" for like 3 months or so before making it available again

Also, most provider will no longer be giving out exact number you want anymore, unless you have some connection, i guess.

@lila_may_qt 

Is there any chance your phone number originally came from Rogers? If so by changing your pm number to a new one your original number will be released to its original provider. If that is Rogers you can speak with their customer service before doing so and ask if they can retrieve your original number once it's released by pm back to them to be put on your new/family account for your service with them. If its any other provider then its not possible. You would be better off keeping your original number with pm and getting a new number for your rogers account.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@lila_may_qt 

when you port a number your PM account is closed automatically. Yes,

before you port your old number from public mobile go to your account and remove your Autopay, 

if you want to keep with public mobile fine, go to rogers and getting New number or you can also getting new number from public mobile,plus keep your old number two account with two email,  so why you going to rogers !

Make sure that you have the old SIM card in your phone when you're porting your number. You should get a SMS message from your old carrier asking to confirm if you would like to port your number. Your reply should be: YES.

The confirmation message can take a few minutes to come in. You have 90 minutes from the time of request.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@lila_may_qt   Sorry, there is no way to do what you want to do.

As you said , once you ported the number, the account closed

If you keep the account and plan, pick new number, the old number will be gone immediately

Many people was hoping to do what you try to do but this is  not doable.

Need Help? Let's chat.