cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cell phone calls are slightly laggy and barely understandable.

fricstix
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

When I use my cell phone to make or receive calls from other numbers, they sound glitchy, laggy or aren't very clear. My cell phone speakers work fine for playing audio on videos and music. What could be causing the lack of clarity?

28 REPLIES 28

@fricstix wrote:

Okay. Any reason not to change it to GSM/WCDMA/LTE auto after reseting?

The options allow you to configure your phone with whatever works best. If one option doesn't seem to work well then try another. The options are there so you might as well pick one.

The only reason you'd need to change one option to another is when the machinery at your local cell sites prefers/supports different protocols. If you tried using your phone in a different city, for example.

Playing around with these sorts of things won't incur any extra charges from Public Mobile (or Telus, or other operators). The network will allow connection to anything within your provisions and it will disallow connection to anything outside your provisions. Public Mobile is strictly prepaid, there's never any overage charges - you get what you've already purchased at the price you've already paid for the entire billing cycle, until it runs out (and renews).

Anonymous
Not applicable

@fricstix : Only if setting it to WCDMA only works better for you...which I kinda doubt...but worth trying.

fricstix

Okay. Any reason not to change it to GSM/WCDMA/LTE auto after reseting?

@fricstix 

To ensure you have the latest PRL, you can power your phone off and remove/reinsert the SIM card once a month or so. to force an update to the network, making cell towers 'aware' of the new sim, this can improve reception as any new agreements between carriers and their cell towers and any new cell towers since your last sim will be 'aware' of the new sim, allowing it to access them.
in turn 'improving' your reception, in areas you previously had bad reception

then google how to reset your network settings for your specific device

change your network to GSM/wcdma auto. if none of these are working then contact customer support mods

Anonymous
Not applicable

@fricstix : No. Just the Public Mobile choices. You have 4 things to fiddle with. PM WCDMA, PM LTE and the other GSM/WCDMA/LTE, WCDMA only.

fricstix

So it just try out every network operator such as Rogers WCDMA with WCDMA only in network mode. Try to keep them the same and see what combo gives the best results. So there is no superior option, just trial and error?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@fricstix : PM does voice on 3G and text and data on either 3G or LTE. When the phone is set to LTE and idling there, when a call comes in, the phone switches itself to 3G. You might even see bars jump up depending on your LTE reception. Or down 🙂

Edit: No. There are no extra charges around here.

fricstix

I will change the network operator to public mobile WCDMA. Would I get charged if I used a different network operator?

fricstix

Does every cellphone on PM use 3G calling or is it because I don't have the option or my phone doesn't support it? I was looking it up and on a website it said I could dail *#*#4636#*#* to enable the 4G option on my LG phone.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@fricstix : Fiddle and test with each. I'm not convinced of this idea seeing as how talk uses 3G and that's your problem. But sure, match the LTE with LTE and WCDMA with WCDMA.

fricstix

Should I change the network operator as well? 

Screenshot_2021-03-10-14-58-33.png

fricstix

I will try that out. Is WCDMA only the best signal or is it because of my not so good reception? Is it okay that I also changed the network operator to Public Mobile LTE instead of auto?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@fricstix : WCDMA only would do it from that limited set.

fricstix

Is this what you mean? If so which option do I select?

Screenshot_2021-03-10-15-03-23.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

@fricstix : Right there...Network mode. Yours appears backwards. It starts with GSM. But maybe that's how LG shows it.

Edit: and I wrote this before seeing the above edit 🙂

@fricstix   You don't see a "preferred network type" or similar somewhere under your network settings?

Edit:  just reread your setting options, look under "network mode".

fricstix

I am using a lg g6 running android 7.0.

fricstix

I am not sure where I can check or change that. This is what my networks options are

Screenshot_2021-03-10-15-12-19.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

@fricstix : Luddite is meaning the other setting where LTE or 4G or WCDMA or UMTS or 3G are seen. Tapping into it might give a list of priority for those like LTE/3G/2G or 3G/2G or 3G only or 2G only (on my Samsung A31 running A10)

But seeing as how talk uses 3G and that's where you're having difficulty...I'm not sure. But give it a whirl. He's the Oracle. 🙂

fricstix

Screenshot_2021-03-10-14-58-33.png

@fricstix wrote:

I am in Ontario and my reception is 1-2 bars in my house

@fricstix  Same issue where live. Switching cellular network to 3G, instead of auto/LTE, solves it for me.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

fricstix

Last I checked the Telus towers were in the red for me where I am located. Rogers towers are slightly closer and Bell towers are the same distance as Telus.

fricstix

It seems to have gotten worse recently with public mobile. It was a bit better with koodo, but still not good.

fricstix

I have called 1 hour away to toronto and have recieved a call from in my driveway.

is the reception always like this or just started lately?

curious what Bell or Telus towers you see around your home?

https://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/cancellsites.html?lat=52.052490&lng=-97.031250&zoom=4&type=Roadm...

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@fricstix 

Is the origin point of the places you're calling or getting calls from generally the same area?

Just trying to troubleshoot whether it may be a reception issue at the sending or the receiving end.

Perhaps try having that other person call someone else in your household to see if similar experience.

fricstix

I am in Ontario and my reception is 1-2 bars in my house

Anonymous
Not applicable

@fricstix : I don't suppose you're in Manitoba? Reception issues? Everywhere? In a basement? Outages? Distance from tower?

Need Help? Let's chat.