cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cell Service when Travelling to US

snorkellady
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

With the shift from 3G service in the US starting on July 1st will PM customers be supported when roaming there? I am travelling to the US in July and am wondering whether its worth it to add a US add-on to my plan.

23 REPLIES 23

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@jml20 

Text works on 3G and the 4G LTE network. In the US MMS requires data to work in Canada they use data as well but its a separate server so it doesn't use plan or add on data but pm doesn't have that arrangement with their US partners. The only issue is voice calls....that may or may not work which is why a voip app like textnow is a good back up. If you want to save money then the $20/US Roaming 1gb data add on covers all of the basis when used with a voip provider. But your parents are probably fine....most voip providers use on average  0.5mb/min so 250mb=500min.

jml20

Ya and thats the problem my parents never close their apps....its such a new world for them. I did notice at the bottom of the add on page this:

(7) Data Add-Ons to supplement a Data Plan will be provisioned at the data speed selected in your plan. If you have a Talk and/or Text Plan only with no data, the Data Add-Ons available to you will be defaulted to 4G LTE speed. US Roaming speed and signal strength may vary with your device, configuration, Internet traffic, environmental conditions, our partner’s applicable network management, the base plan you have purchased and other factors.

To me that sounds like they will get 4G an LTE since their phones can support it so it may not even be an issue at all?? If I'm understanding that correctly. 

@jml20  voice call itself uses only 0.5 to 1Mb per minute.  But of course, once the Mobile data is turned on , other app can be eating up data on the background if you don't do a good job guarding your app data usage

jml20

They do have data, but only 250, I"m worried now that may not be enough cause I got the talk and text and data plan thinking they would need those too, but by the sounds of it, only the data will be useful for them to send/receive txt msgs? 

No they haven't left yet.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@jml20 

Just keep the autoconnect setting with 4G LTE/3G/2G. Once they have the US Roaming add on they need to enable roaming and reboot their phones. Manually choose either T-Mobile or at&t. They will connect to the 4G LTE network. If they have data in their roaming plan they can send and recieve MMS. You don't need any add on to recieve SMS text only to send SMS. It's the shrinking 3G network that's the issue as pm only uses that network for voice calls.

Are you parents currently in the US?

jml20

Ok this is all great info, I really appreciate everyone's input on this.  Honestly I don't ever do forum things like this (if that's even what it's called) so the speedy responses are amazing!   I will test everything out when I am down there and will install Whatsapp as a back up plan.  🙂 🙂 🙂 

@jml20   

Yes

to clarify

Voice:    PM only uses 3G

Data:     PM uses 3G at full data speed (around 12Mpbs )   

and LTE with speed capped at 3Mpbs (PM call is 3G speed) 

So, you can have an LTE phone and select LTE/3G  to use the network 

if your phone has only 3G and no LTE, it is working now, but when PM also phase out 3G network, then you will have trouble

jml20

Ok now I'm super confused and I've been googling like crazy.  So what you are saying is that even though the plan is giving them 3G speeds for data, when they are in the USA they will be able to access whichever provider PM uses down there (verizon, T-mobile etc not sure which one they use) and use the LTE network if their phones support it?  They both have phones that do support a higher network but I just assumed that since PM only offers 3G speed that they wouldn't be able to get anything more down there.  Ugh technology...love it and hate it.  

I just really want clarification on this cause it seems to be vague and only people who have plans through these smaller carriers that offer 3G would be affected. 

@jml20   

It's graduate, like:

AT&T officially shut down its 3G network on February 22, 2022. However, reports on Reddit say(Opens in a new window) it is still spottily available.

Whatsapp can make voice call but only App-to-app calling.  you can use it to call another person with Whatsapp installed

VoIP app are almost like real phone.  You install and activate, pick a 10 digits number and you can use it to call landline or mobile (NOT app-to-app calling).   People on landline and mobile can call that 10 digits # you picked like any other number and your VoIP app will ring

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@jml20 

Read my post. The warning has been on the add ons page since at least February.

@ZuckMark wrote:

What is happening?
Mobile carriers are shutting down their 3G networks, which rely on older technology, to make room for more advanced network services, including 5G. As a result, many older cell phones will be unable to make or receive calls and texts, including calls to 911, or use data services. This will affect 3G mobile phones and certain older 4G mobile phones that do not support Voice over LTE (VoLTE or HD Voice).

Learn more about other connected devices, such as medical devices and home security systems that may be impacted below.

When is it happening?
As early as January 1, 2022, though plans and timing to phase out 3G services will vary by company and may change. Consult your mobile provider's website for the most up-to-date information.

AT&T announced that it will finish shutting down its 3G network by February 2022.
Verizon announced that will finish shutting down its 3G network by December 31, 2022.
T-Mobile announced that it will finish shutting down Sprint's 3G CDMA network by March 31, 2022 and Sprint's 4G LTE network by June 30, 2022. It also announced it will shut down T-Mobile's 3G UMTS network by July 1, 2022, but has not yet announced a shutdown date for its 2G network.
If your mobile carrier is not listed here, you may still be affected. Many carriers, such as Cricket, Boost, Straight Talk, and several Lifeline mobile service providers, utilize AT&T's, Verizon's, and T-Mobile's networks.

Note: These are dates for completing the shutdowns. Carriers may begin retiring parts of their networks sooner.

@ZuckMark   I think the date might not be right.

AT&T start shutting down on Feb 2022, not finish shutting down .  We have confirmation last couple months that AT&T 3G is still available in many area

I don't think T-Mobile  finish shutting down  every 3G by July 1 either

jml20

That was not there a few hours ago when i checked! I literally found out when I was going to add on to my rogers plan and then I thought oh no my parents are with PM and they only get 3G.  So what your saying is that even though T mobile is set to shut down 3G on July 1, 2022 it won't be all at once, as in it will gradually shut down?  

Whatsapp lets you make calls too I thought?  Unfortunately my parents are not tech savvy at all so I do everything for them, but they can do basics.  I just don't want them to not be able to call or txt me if they need to.   I got them the data plans each so I hope I don't have problems.  

@jml20 wrote:

So I'm confused.  I just bought the 20 dollar package for both my parents who are going to the US - I'm pretty annoyed that PM didn't put a disclaimer on the add ons to advise that 3G will not be available after July 1, 2022.  Would Whatsapp work like the other one you mention above?  This is a complete fail for phone companies that only support 3G.  Is there any other work arounds for this?  I'll be in the US with them for part of the time so I am going to be able to test it as I will be there after July 1.  I'm just concerned that they won't have a cell phone to use if this does in fact completely disable them from using data/voice/text.  The price is right for PM but this lack of talking to anyone is so frustrating.  I'm probably gonna email the board that oversees telecommunications to advise that this isn't addressed anywhere on the site. 

If anyone has any advice or suggestions I would greatly appreciate it. 

Public Mobile doesn't only just support 3g.  The use of the term "3g" by Public Mobile only refers to the speed of data included in the plans.  In Canada, Public Mobile customers can use both the HSPA (3g) and LTE networks.  In the U.S., customers will still be able to use the 2g and LTE networks while roaming (with roaming add-on).

@jml20   PM did put a disclaimer on the Addon page

Important: As of February 22nd, 2022, United States (U.S.) carriers have started turning down certain 3G/HSPA networks. As a result, customers using U.S. roaming add-ons will be impacted by differences in coverage or service quality (including 9-1-1 calls) when roaming in the U.S. Customers may also experience changes to services such as welcome messages, voicemail notifications, usage notifications for voice, notifications when trying to make an international call, interactive voice responses (IVR), as well as the ability to set up voicemail while in the U.S. This shutdown will not impact your service in Canada.

But on July 1, it's not like all 3G will be gone.  T-Mobile will start turning off 3G but it will take couple months to completely shutdown 3G . 

Whatsapp will work as it uses data (as long as your roaming addon you got  has data component)

Not sure if your parents are technical enough.  Install VoIP app like TextNow and then they can make and receive calls using the app just like a real phone (it will work as long as there is Wifi or Mobile Data)

jml20

So I'm confused.  I just bought the 20 dollar package for both my parents who are going to the US - I'm pretty annoyed that PM didn't put a disclaimer on the add ons to advise that 3G will not be available after July 1, 2022.  Would Whatsapp work like the other one you mention above?  This is a complete fail for phone companies that only support 3G.  Is there any other work arounds for this?  I'll be in the US with them for part of the time so I am going to be able to test it as I will be there after July 1.  I'm just concerned that they won't have a cell phone to use if this does in fact completely disable them from using data/voice/text.  The price is right for PM but this lack of talking to anyone is so frustrating.  I'm probably gonna email the board that oversees telecommunications to advise that this isn't addressed anywhere on the site. 

If anyone has any advice or suggestions I would greatly appreciate it. 

iliketotalk
Mayor / Maire

@snorkellady I wouldn't go near the 10 day roaming packages go with a travel sim they have plenty to chose from on amazon 

ZuckMark
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

What is happening?
Mobile carriers are shutting down their 3G networks, which rely on older technology, to make room for more advanced network services, including 5G. As a result, many older cell phones will be unable to make or receive calls and texts, including calls to 911, or use data services. This will affect 3G mobile phones and certain older 4G mobile phones that do not support Voice over LTE (VoLTE or HD Voice).

Learn more about other connected devices, such as medical devices and home security systems that may be impacted below.

When is it happening?
As early as January 1, 2022, though plans and timing to phase out 3G services will vary by company and may change. Consult your mobile provider's website for the most up-to-date information.

AT&T announced that it will finish shutting down its 3G network by February 2022.
Verizon announced that will finish shutting down its 3G network by December 31, 2022.
T-Mobile announced that it will finish shutting down Sprint's 3G CDMA network by March 31, 2022 and Sprint's 4G LTE network by June 30, 2022. It also announced it will shut down T-Mobile's 3G UMTS network by July 1, 2022, but has not yet announced a shutdown date for its 2G network.
If your mobile carrier is not listed here, you may still be affected. Many carriers, such as Cricket, Boost, Straight Talk, and several Lifeline mobile service providers, utilize AT&T's, Verizon's, and T-Mobile's networks.

Note: These are dates for completing the shutdowns. Carriers may begin retiring parts of their networks sooner.

@snorkellady 

There will certainly be changes in network coverage.  In some cases, customers will need to use the T-Mobile 2g network for voice.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@snorkellady 

If you are vacationing for 30 days or less then the 10 day US Roaming add ons will probably work best for you but the decommissioning of the 3G network in the US presents an issue for pm's voice services. Officially July 1st 2022 is the end date for T-Mobile with at&it's official end date has long since passed. While it is still possible in some areas to still get 3G network access there's no guarantee.

However there is a workaround. Before you leave download a voip app such as textnow. You can also change your voicemail message directing callers to phone your textnow phone number.Manually top up your self serve account balance with enough funds to cover your projected cost of needed roaming add ons. Make sure you know your 4 digit account pin #. This way if needed you can purchase US Roaming add ons  with your available funds or the credit card on file via the 611/IVR system or by calling 1 855 4PUBLIC and entering your 10 digit phone #.

On the day of departure or upon your arrival purchase just a 10 day US Roaming Data add on ($20/1gb/$15/500mb/$10/250mb). Make a note of the time of purchase as it will expire exactly 240 hours (10 days×24 hrs) later. If you wish to purchase the same add on you either have to wait 24 hours or contact customer support to add the same add on for you. You can purchase a different one immediately.

Once purchased ensure you enable roaming. Reboot your phone. Manually select either at&t or T-Mobile. Now you have access to the 4G LTE network. Regardless of any roaming add on you will recieve incoming pm SMS text messages. You can use textnow to send and recieve SMS texts and make and recieve voice calls. The textnow app will work on both wifi and mobile data and uses approximately 0.5mb/min for voice calls. MMS texts can be sent and recieved via mobile data. And if you need mobile data you have it.

JL9
Mayor / Maire

Yeah definitely hit and miss, depending on how long you are going and what you need it for a local prepaid option and/or VoIP apps may be more reliable/cost effective. You could always try and hope the area you are in has a good network/signal 

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@snorkellady   you likely have better luck connecting with T-Mobile as they just start turning off their 3G network while AT&T has started that for couple months

If you need phone and text, then go for it, especially with text.  

But if you just nice to have, get the roaming data instead

Then get a VoIP app (TextNow or Fongo). for calls and text using the new number 

And to save money, to get more data, and if your trip is longer than 10 days, get local prepaid data instead 

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@snorkellady   Unfortunately, others have reported it being a bit of hit and miss scenario.  If possible you might be better off getting a local SIM depending on how long you are planning on staying there. 

If you do purchase one of the roaming packages, make sure to add the funds first and then purchase the add-on and it's best to purchase as close to your travel date as possible as they activate immediately and will last for 10 days (240 hours) totoal.   You might need to select T-Mobile or AT&T and see which one might be giving you better coverage where you are.

Need Help? Let's chat.