cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancelling plan, but still using add-ons

marcnoel
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Greetings.

I am currently on the $ 15.00 plan.  I also have 900 add-on minutes, and almost six GB of data add-ons.  The add-ons are just sitting there, as I hardly ever go over my plan's allotment.  Am I allowed to cancel my plan temporarily, so that I may use up my add-ons, then resume a plan?  I know I would lose texting capability, but I can always use my TextNow number for that.  My rewards cancel out my plan cost.

Marc

15 REPLIES 15

jor123
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@popping wrote:

@marcnoel 

Telus and Bell are tower sharing agreement.  Bell is based at Eastern Canada and Telus is based at Western Canada.  Bell customer will use Telus tower in Western Canada and vice versa.  PM and lucky are using the same cell tower.  You may not get a better signal at home if you go to Lucky.  

There are some exceptions to this... Telus is the RAN operator in Ottawa, Montreal, Quebec City and some of the Gaspe region (and I believe Windsor, Ontario)

marcnoel

AE_Collector:

That's what I'm wondering.  If and when the time comes, I will try it.  Worst case scenario is that I wasted $ 16.80.

It is recommended to use a case to retain the dual-sim slots device, so I swapped cases on my phone, from a magnetic aluminum/glass to TPU.  Of course, ShawOpen and ShawGo signals pop up.  Previous case was hindering those signals, so, now, I may not even need to pursue unlimited data.

I think you may find that unlimited throttled data quite painful to use. It will depend on what you are trying to do of course. 

marcnoel

Popping:

The addition of Lucky is for data only, no calling.  I use TextNow for calling texting where I don't have a cell signal.

Bottom line - I would end up with my PM plan for free, due to rewards, and pay $ 16.80 per month (including taxes) for unlimited data through Lucky.  Plus, I can access the Lucky data in multiple places, because of its mobility, whereas  a business internet connection would be stationary.

marcnoel

Naepalm:

Correct.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@marcnoel 

Telus and Bell are tower sharing agreement.  Bell is based at Eastern Canada and Telus is based at Western Canada.  Bell customer will use Telus tower in Western Canada and vice versa.  PM and lucky are using the same cell tower.  You may not get a better signal at home if you go to Lucky.  

Naepalm
Mayor / Maire

@marcnoel are you saying you don't use the 100 minutes a month to call out? or the 250mb on the 15.00 plan?

You may just have. a treasure trove of add one for a very long time. You can not cancel the plan and use them. 

marcnoel

Also, if PM keeps giving us minutes and data for Christmas, I may accumulate them quicker than I use them.

marcnoel

Thanks, all, for your replies.

Popping:

My cellular reception is poor in some places at home, so I can't always send/receive calls or texts.  I finally decided to use TextNow, which enables texting via WiFi/data, although with a separate number.  I later discovered I could also call Canada and the US for free.  Now I use TextNow where possible, trying to conserve my PM allotments.  Anyway, when I switched to the $ 15.00 plan, I was concerned about running out of minutes, so I bought 500 Canada-wide minutes.  The rest of the minutes and data add-ons were either Christmas gifts from PM or bonuses along the way.

Separately, I recently lost access to a WiFi signal at work.  Even if I upgrade to the $ 50.00 plan, 8.5 GB may not be enough for a month, so I started investigating unlimited data offerings elsewhere.  Lucky Mobile offer 750 MB per month for $ 15.00, then unlimited data after that, at 128 Kbps.  I am in the process of adding a dual-sim adapter to my phone, so I could access both PM and Lucky.  Then I thought I could maybe suspend my PM service until I use up most of my add-ons.

Of  course, it would be optimum if PM had an unlimited data offering.  Freedom Mobile appears to have the same $ 15.00 plan, but with throttled unlimited data after the 250 MB is used up.  However, I am apprehensive about using them, vs. Lucky, due to coverage issues.  Granted, I would get another 100 minutes, but using yet another phone number.

If you purchased them and never use them you could ask them to take back 500 minutes which will give you$5

Now for data, did you purchase or get them as signup gift?

If you purchase any of them and didn't get to use them you could try asking to return them, bit if they were gifts/bonus it will not work. Also dog through your payment history and note down the date and amount, as the prices have chatted

I must point out that you should not assume you will actually get those funds back, but you may be lucky

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@marcnoel 

As offer had pointed out, subscribers need an active plan in order to use the add-on.

You have 900 minutes and 6GB add-ons.  If you are not using it, it is like a virtual contract to keep you staying at PM as you will not get refund of the unused minutes/data when you leave PM.  This is as bad as adding excess fund to your PM account.

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@marcnoel if you hardly use your data add-ons you can "try" and ask for a refund. it would be a gesture of goodwill compensation since the policy is no refunds

Good luck!

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

make sure to check your inbox(top right corner envelope icon) periodically, for a response

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

The plan must be active to use your add-ons @marcnoel . If your rewards cancel out your plan cost, why does it matter if its active? And since the addons don't expire, why don't you keep them. You may need them and will not have to buy them if you do. Stay safe.  

@marcnoel wrote:

Greetings.

I am currently on the $ 15.00 plan.  I also have 900 add-on minutes, and almost six GB of data add-ons.  The add-ons are just sitting there, as I hardly ever go over my plan's allotment.  Am I allowed to cancel my plan temporarily, so that I may use up my add-ons, then resume a plan?  I know I would lose texting capability, but I can always use my TextNow number for that.  My rewards cancel out my plan cost.

Sorry, but you must have an active plan to use add-ons. They do not work on their own.

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

Unfortunately no.

You must have an active plan to use Addons.

Need Help? Let's chat.