cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancel service

Bonnienewman
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

My husband passed away back in June. I need to cancel his phone but don’t have the email or password. What do i do?

2 REPLIES 2

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Bonnienewman 

I am sorry for your loss. With a little investigation on your part you can gain access to your late husband's self serve account.

Do you have access to his emails? If so enter public mobile in the search box and look for recent email promotions and his welcome email from public mobile. The latter will contain his activation details and his account # will be embedded in the "Sent to" portion. Even without the welcome email a high incidence of promotional emails will indicate it's the email/username of his account.

Once you identify the likely email you can try the forgot password option. The plan/phone is active so this helps when verifying with customer support.

Call 611 on his phone to find out the renewal date and plan amount. If the account was activated before January 25th 2022 then the account has the $$ rewards program meaning the autopay reward of $2 is deducted from the bill along with up to $5/30 days ($1 per year with pm) gor loyalty.

It's been about 2 years since pm removed adding the birthdate from activations. If the account is older than that then your husband's D.O.B. can be used as a verifier. You should know or have access to the rest of the info on the account required for verification if you can't find the login credentials.

You will be asked to supply the following info:

• Full name and address on the account.
  • Phone number.
  • Email and 4 digit account pin #.**

**Without these two important components you will be asked for 3 of the following account verifiers.....

• Last payment amount, type, date.
  • Payment card's last 4 digits and expiry.
  • Account #.
  • Last purchase/date other than the plan and/or any add-ons or promos on the account.
  • You can offer the D.O.B. if applicable.
  • Also.....alternate phone #.
  • Referral code and earned rewards.
  • Recent calls/texts in the last 30 days.
  • Activation date.

A combination of this info will satisfy a customer support agent that you are now the account holder or acting on their behalf. The CSA well then help you with a password reset and confirm the email used on the account. Or they may just allow you to verify by sending a verification text to the telephone since it is active.

Once again access to the account consider not removing auto pay but rather schedule a change plan on next renewal to the lowest plan available the $15 plan. You may want to maintain active service for the next few months or longer as you settle your late husband's affairs.

As you come across a certain accounts especially online accounts you may run into you the same situation whereas you do not know the login credentials. Or you may know the email but not the password. Most password resets use 2FA verification sent by SMS text. Keeping active service will be very helpful as you come across accounts that need to be closed and or the payment card on file removed.

One of the reasons I switched to public mobile because it lowered the plan costs of maintaining two phone numbers. Mine and my late partners. Luckily my rewards now pay for that plan so it's free and I continue to maintain it although it's been a couple years since I have run across an account I didn't know about six years since my partner passed.

You may also want to disable 2FA in the self-serve account. You can find it in the profile page and simply disable it so you do not have to verify every time you want to login. You can also after a few months has passed suspend the account by disabling auto pay for suspending via lost/stolen which will maintain active voicemail if you do so before midnight eastern on day 30 of the plan's 30-day cycle.

An account can be suspended for up to 90 days before it is canceled and deactivated permanently. Mark your calendar to reactivate the plan around day 85 just to be safe. Or you can reactivate when needed.

I hope this proves helpful to you as you go through this process and you're able to gain access to public mobile account. Since I have had to go through this twice already if you need any further advice you can always private message me if you need to.... My private mailbox is always open. I am always happy to help!

Edit:

To contact customer support click below:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Bonnienewman , sorry for your loss.  To ask Public Mobile to cancel payments you need to use the chatbot link at the bottom of the webpage to initiate a support ticket.  However they will ask certain personal questions about the account to verify ownership.  Another option is to have the credit card company block payments which would result in account suspension and deactivation.  There's no penalties when doing this.

Need Help? Let's chat.