cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canada wide calling

mahdiannavid
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi,

I was wondering if you know if 'Canada wide calling' means I can call any Canadian number for free while I am anywhere in Canada. Ex. from Calgary call Vancouver, or from Victoria call Vancouver, etc. 

17 REPLIES 17

Community_QA
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@JL9  just an advise, Quality vs Quantity. 🙂

Yes you cracked the case wide open. In fact that is exactly what I am doing. I was hired by a private firm and that is the only thing in my job description. You assume you know the intelligence or lack thereof with some people since they will be confused by everything apparently, or that this person who isn't sure what Canada Wide Calling entails would never travel beyond the borders, and if they aren't sure on that maybe knowing their options would help..if of course they are allowed to leave their property, or God forbid travel outside of Canada 😮

But please keep combing through all of the posts and threads because being the Chief of the Confusion Police is a very noble job.

Community_QA
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@JL9 wrote:

You will need an add on if you want to get really adventurous and cross the border in the US, otherwise you are golden in Canada 

@JL9   where the user talked about going US?  you like to bring up other topic to confuse user more 

Yeah for sure.

Roaming is when you use another operator's core network. You'll need to enable roaming on your phone in order to get service.

In a RAN sharing scenario, you will always use your own operator's core network. You can disable roaming on your phone and all your services will work.

Let's look at an example.

A Telus (Public Mobile) customer in Toronto will connect to Bell's tower (eNB), and that eNB is connected to Bell's core and Telus's core. During the attach procedure, the phone will request to the eNB that it wants to connect to Telus. Therefore, Bell eNB will ask Telus core (MME) to authenticate/register this user. If Telus core (HSS) accepts this user, it will be allowed to make voice calls and use the internet as allowed on the user's account. The user plane connection will go from Bell eNB to Telus SGW to Telus PGW to internet.

If a Telus user goes to US and tries to connect to an AT&T eNB, the eNB will ask the AT&T core (MME) to find this user's roaming capability. AT&T MME will ask Telus HSS if this user is allowed to roam, and if so, it will authenticate this user and use AT&T eNB, AT&T SGW and Telus PGW to internet.

Obviously in order for any roaming to work, the 2 operators need to have agreements in place for roaming fees, and connect their cores to each other.

If a Public Mobile customer goes to Mexico and tries to roam on Telcel, the Telcel eNB will ask Telcel MME to ask Telus HSS if roaming is allowed. Telus HSS will reply that roaming is not allowed, and the attach procedure will be rejected. The user will only be allowed to make emergency calls, and all other services will be denied. The end user will not know if Telcel is lacking roaming agreements with Telus, or if Telus simply isn't allowing this particular plan to roam in Mexico. In reality, since Telus branded customers can roam in Mexico, we know the agreements exist, but Telus has made a business decision to reject roaming outside of US.

sheytoon: I can abide by the definitional distinction and thank you for that. But my earlier comment used the terms "in effect" as an attempt to simplify. That I can also live with. Really appreciate your history here and knowledge sharing.

Could you describe which part of the network distinguishes roaming by the likes of AT&T and others? Which step of the way identifies roaming devices/sims and accepts or rejects the connection? Like if we're in the states with our roaming add-ons or not. Or in the case of my car with its built-in cell which happens to be AT&T even though it was built for the Canadian market.

Thanks again.

@dust2dust no, I'm saying roaming is different than RAN sharing.

Have a look at the link I posted, if something isn't clear, let me know and I can try to clarify.

JL9
Mayor / Maire

You will need an add on if you want to get really adventurous and cross the border in the US, otherwise you are golden in Canada 

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Thank you sheytoon. So you're saying that Telus has an actual physical hardware presence on all the towers that they use?

@dust2dust Bell and Telus share towers, there is no roaming.

See here for more info: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/Network-sharing-explained/td-p/129092

@mahdiannavid, it helps to think of incoming and outgoing calls separately.

Incoming calls are always free from any domestic or international number that calls you, as long as you are in Canada.

Outgoing calls are included to all Canadian numbers, as long as you are in Canada.

Beer: Yes. Telus and Bell share infrastructure. It's not so much the same towers as it is that subscribers from one company can in effect roam on the others. There are some exceptions here and there.

But the point being made was that obviously the phone needs to be in coverage. There are many places that don't have coverage.

HI @BEER   Yes, Telus and Bell joined force. While you phone shows Public Mobile, but it could be using Bell or Telus network towers

BEER
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@dust2dust wrote:

As long as you're connected to the Public (Telus/Bell) network then you can call from anywhere in Canada to anywhere in Canada. You can receive calls from anywhere on the earth anywhere in Canada.

When you say "(Telus/Bell)" - is the connection just that they mostly use the same towers?

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

YES @mahdiannavid 

And to take it one step further, because Public Mobile is a prepaid service provider, you can try to call ANYWHERE and there will never be extra charges for doing so.

Either the call will connect,  or it won't.

BEER
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@mahdiannavid wrote:

Hi,

I was wondering if you know if 'Canada wide calling' means I can call any Canadian number for free while I am anywhere in Canada. Ex. from Calgary call Vancouver, or from Victoria call Vancouver, etc. 

Seriously ????? You are wondering  what "Canada wide calling" means? Are also wondering what Province wide calling -- or North America wide calling means?

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@mahdiannavid   If you have Canada wide calling, you can make calls anywhere in Canada to  any Canadian numbers in any province.  So, you can make calls in both situations (from Calgary call Vancouver, and  from Victoria call Vancouver, etc)

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

As long as you're connected to the Public (Telus/Bell) network then you can call from anywhere in Canada to anywhere in Canada. You can receive calls from anywhere on the earth anywhere in Canada.

Need Help? Let's chat.