cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canada-wide calling won't call Newfoundland

kristenlarissa
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

My plan includes unlimited Canada-wide calling and it normally works just fine, but recently it is not letting me make calls to St. John's, Newfoundland (area code 709). I've tried it with a +1 before the number and without and still get the same recorded message about it being an area not included in my plan. I am able to text with NFLD contacts freely, it's just calling that is giving me issues. 

6 REPLIES 6

Gregmt
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I too had the same issue with calling NL and it was a St John's number. I contacted Public Mobile moderators and it was due to a new number being added to that area and it wss not added to the list of numbers under area code 709 in their suystem. I hope they can sort it for you. Cheers.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@kristenlarissa wrote:

My plan includes unlimited Canada-wide calling and it normally works just fine, but recently it is not letting me make calls to St. John's, Newfoundland (area code 709). I've tried it with a +1 before the number and without and still get the same recorded message about it being an area not included in my plan. I am able to text with NFLD contacts freely, it's just calling that is giving me issues. 

@kristenlarissa A similar issue was happening to me recently when trying to call a BC number. Turned out that I had entered the number incorrectly in my contacts. Are you sure you have the correct number? Are you able to send texts to the same number that you are having this issue and get a response? If yes, please ignore my suggestion.

Cheetah24
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville
@kristenlarissa: I had a very similar problem where I was not able to call some person who was in Ontario (near the US border). I suggest you private message the moderators (as suggested above) and they will resolve the issue for you. 🙂

@kristenlarissa wrote:

I know this won't fix the problem, but if you're using an Android phone, I would install Hangouts Dialer. This app will allow you to call Canadian or U.S. phone numbers for free, assuming that you have a working internet connection.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@kristenlarissa wrote:

If it's a business and if it wouldn't be too personal, would you be willing to share the number so others can try it and see what they get? Or could you share the prefix? 709-???.

Maybe it's a new prefix and it hasn't made into Public Mobiles database of callable numbers yet.

Can you text with the same problem number you're trying to call?

Pizzaeh
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@kristenlarissa wrote:

@kristenlarissa what plan are you on?   I should have asked this first.

Send a private message to the moderators by clicking here.  In the private message to the moderator, include your Public Mobile Phone Number, 4 digit PIN, email address (used to activate your Public Mobile account), and an explanation of your problem.  Response time is between 1 to 48 hours. 

Moderator hours:

Weekdays 8am to 12am

Weekends 8am to 10pm (eastern time)

Need Help? Let's chat.