cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't receive text messages

tesqie
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

My phone number may have not been ported over correctly. Please help.

19 REPLIES 19

BorisDoris
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@tesqie wrote:

This is probably the issue. It's just from 2FA. I'll wait a few more days.

AHA! Why not say it so in original message?! Wait few days and it must work. If not come back here and more suggestions will be offered.

@Yummy   .It is not.    I was talking about 2FA might not work  at all right after porting.  There is  always delay for copule days before  2FA  fully work again after a poritng  Even voicecall would not work 100% after porting, depends on which provider the one making the calls use 

Phone number calling, text delivery  is a kind of network routing and it takes time to populate across systems.

First, not all system know the new "home" of the number right after you port.  Main providers, like Roger-Bell-Telus,  will usually pick up the new "home" of the phone number almost instantly.   Other VoIP providers, like Fongo-TextNow-MagicJack, take longer, could be 24 hours or more.  2FA (like those from your email, paypal, etc) are sent from systems, those systems take the longest to learn the route, could be couple days

Second, to avoid for fraud that people's number got ported away illegally, most banks have set different kind of delay for 2FA text.  Could be 3 days or some could be a full week.

Yes, if you have ported your number, don't expect receiving 2FA immediately to login banks or email.  Also, SMS 2FA is not the best , not the most reliable and definitely not the most secure way of 2FA.  Consider using Authenticator app instead if the systems give you the option

@softech wrote:

impose that delay just in case of fraud.

What kind of delay you are talking about? They are sending 2FA to the same number, as always. Idea of receiving 2FA is to confirm you are who you claim to be and it should be instantaneous as you are waiting to log in.

I guess delay is due to number transfer from one company to another.

OP should mention not receiving 2FA SMS in first post. So many following posts with different solution, advises, etc. and all for nothing.

@tesqie yes, if text from friends work, then there is nothing to worry about.  The delay from banks or 2FA is both because that it takes long for system to find the new "home" from your number as well as some places,  banks nd government,  impose that delay just in case of fraud.

tesqie

This is probably the issue. It's just from 2FA. I'll wait a few more days.

@tesqie wrote:

I completed the port 3 days ago. I'm receiving calls fine. Just text messages from certain people.

If you can receive calls and can call/send SMS porting should be completed successfully.

What number people see when you call them (or text them)? Is that your ported number?

You mentioned you cannot receive SMS from 'certain' people? Did you block them by accident? What provider they use? Can they receive your SMS?

@tesqie 

and what kind of text you cannot get?  from friends or from banks?

if from banks or system generated text 2FA, then it is normal, it takes time, like couple days

if from friends, as friends from different providers to try, it could be just from specific providers only

@tesqie wrote:

When I call 611, I get a number displayed that is not my current number. I'm thinking porting issue. I still cannot login to submit a ticket, I get a message saying error login, I tried incognito.

@tesqie   in this case, just open ticket by direct message here:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

**Monitor your Community inbox (envelope icon on the top right) after the ticket is opened. CS Agent will reply you there

@tesqie wrote:

When I call 611, I get a number displayed that is not my current number. I'm thinking porting issue. I still cannot login to submit a ticket, I get a message saying error login, I tried incognito.

@tesqie  - if you are having issues with submitting tickets via #1 below, go the #2 route.

To contact the Public Mobile Customer Support Agent (CSA)_Team, there are two methods to reach them:

1 -  Faster  use this link to: Get Help With SIMon the Public Mobile chatbot

OR

2 – Slower - Use this link to:

Contact Public Mobile Representatives (CSA) by submitting a message(ticket) to them here: 

Private Message to Public Mobile Customer Support Agents (CSA)

edit:

But for direct porting issues... this was the best link to use, did it not work for you? 

click this link: to request the transfer of your number over to Public Mobile.

Did you port from a provider in which the account was still active? The account needs to be active (exceptions are perhaps if from Koodo or Telus).

I wonder Public Mobile gave you a temporary number if the previous account was cancelled before porting was complete.

tesqie

JL9
Mayor / Maire

Hmmm, if it was a porting issue then I don't think you'd be able to do these things. If you received the porting text and the welcome message etc, then it looks as if it is another issue. 

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@tesqie 

Login to your account and check to see if your account is Active. If it is then your porting was completed successfully and it may have something todo with your phone setting.

What make and model phone do you have so we can help further?

@tesqie  - if restarting and the reset of network settings does not work...try using the SIM card into another compatible phone to see if texts are more reliable.

Are you using iMessage or Chat Features (android) by any chance?

If android, try turning off the Chat Features option completely in your device setting.

If iphone, is this is a 'new phone to you'...try deregistering the number on the iphone: https://selfsolve.apple.com/deregister-imessage/

Then, set up your phone number On your iPhone:

1. Go to Settings > Messages and make sure that iMessage is on. You might need to wait a moment for it to activate.
  2. Tap Send & Receive. If you see “Use your Apple ID for iMessage,” tap it and sign in with the same Apple ID that you use on your Mac, iPad, and iPod touch.
  3. In the "You can receive iMessages" section, make sure that your phone number and Apple ID are selected.
  4. Go to Settings > FaceTime and make sure that your phone number and Apple ID are selected in the "You can be reached by FaceTime at" section.

If you turn your data off occasionally, then it is recommended to turn off iMessage altogether and use regular text messaging instead.

To do this, go to Settings > Messages and toggle iMessage off.

If you prefer to use iMessage, then you can perform the following steps to fix the issue:

1. Connect to the internet using WiFi or Data.
  2. Go to Settings > Messages and toggle iMessage OFF.
  3. Turn your iPhone off completely, then turn it back on.
  4. Go back into Settings > Messages and toggle iMessage ON.
  5. Make sure “Send as SMS” is also turned ON.

@tesqie wrote:

Logging in with my community account on the submit ticket page just returns an "Error logging in"

@tesqie  - when you call 611 does your active status say Active?

For the website issue try clearing your browser's cache or using a different browser, or opening a tab in incognito can help with finicky issues.

@tesqie wrote:

I completed the port 3 days ago. I'm receiving calls fine. Just text messages from certain people.

@tesqie  - oh, okay, maybe this is not a porting issue then, but rather a device one.

Try restarting your phone, and performing a reset of you device's network settings.

This also resets Wi-Fi networks and passwords, cellular settings, and VPN and APN settings that you've used before.

Iphone:

To Reset Network Settings, begin by opening the Settings app. Next, tap General -> Transfer or Reset iPhone -> Reset -> Reset Network Settings. and enter your passcode.

Your iPhone will reset network settings and restart itself.

android:

Find and tap Settings > System > Advanced > Reset options > Reset network settings.

tesqie

Logging in with my community account on the submit ticket page just returns an "Error logging in"

tesqie

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@tesqie wrote:

My phone number may have not been ported over correctly. Please help.

@tesqie  - how long ago did you port over?

Texts should be working in/out if this was a recent activation. It would be the incoming calls that may be delayed, as that particular service takes longer to port over across providers.

So, use the previous provider's SIM card to receive calls from. When the incoming calls stop that is a good indication the port is complete.

• Cell ports can take 2-3 hours. If from another cell company, did you leave the old provider's SIM to wait for a port approval text within 90 minutes?
  • Landline/voip ports can take 3+ days.

If still issues, submit a ticket for help; click this link: to request the transfer of your number over to Public Mobile.

See helpful info. here: https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/port-fraud-protection

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@tesqie   You cannot receive incoming calls too?

did you get a confirmation text from you old provider asking you for you permission to port?  did you reply YES within 90 mins?   No worry, there is a  number you can call to talk to live person to re-trigger the text and complete the porting.  I will send you the phone number.  Please check your Community inbox, envelope icon on the top right

Need Help? Let's chat.