cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't receive security codes from USA Financial Institution.

Tahuhali
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I can't sign into my bank's mobile app, because I can't receive a security code via text. They have a shortcode of 25595 they use to send the codes, but I never receive them, and sending an input like HELP to the codes give no response. I spoke to the the bank's customer service, and they don't have anything in their system keeping them from sending codes to Canadian numbers, so it must on on Public Mobile's side for why the codes aren't coming through. It seems that others are having similar problems, but I can't seem to find any solutions.

16 REPLIES 16

@softech wrote:

@hycm53  

the Unlimited international text you are referring is for outgoing 

but all incoming text are free anyway

But system text like 2FA uses shortcode and require setup on both senders and receiving carriers

And system text from other countries is even trickier, it depends if the sender system is setup to send to other countries.  And they can setup to send to just some particular counties and not all.  But usually, they are only setu to send within their own country

@Tahuhali   if you  have a choice to receive phone call  or email instead of text for 2FA text , please use those workarounds instead

Thanks for information.

@Quigley wrote:

@hycm53 

Getting 2FA from a USA bank is whole other ball game.  

Thanks for information.

hycm53
Mayor / Maire

@Tahuhali I google find the US bank will only accept a US phone number to send 2FA. So you may need US cell phone number or change to email to get 2FA. 

@hycm53  

the Unlimited international text you are referring is for outgoing 

but all incoming text are free anyway

But system text like 2FA uses shortcode and require setup on both senders and receiving carriers

And system text from other countries is even trickier, it depends if the sender system is setup to send to other countries.  And they can setup to send to just some particular counties and not all.  But usually, they are only setu to send within their own country

@Tahuhali   if you  have a choice to receive phone call  or email instead of text for 2FA text , please use those workarounds instead

@Tahuhali wrote:

So, other Canadian carriers are set up to receive those short codes? I can receive codes from literally every other company or institution except my US bank, I'm not sure why it's different,

US Bank might have some strict rules in place when (not to) sending any codes to no-US number. Money laundering and similar stuff...

hycm53
Mayor / Maire

@Tahuhali wrote:

I can't sign into my bank's mobile app, because I can't receive a security code via text. They have a shortcode of 25595 they use to send the codes, but I never receive them, and sending an input like HELP to the codes give no response. I spoke to the the bank's customer service, and they don't have anything in their system keeping them from sending codes to Canadian numbers, so it must on on Public Mobile's side for why the codes aren't coming through. It seems that others are having similar problems, but I can't seem to find any solutions.

Try use computer to login, then change email to receive 2FA if you can and make sure your cell phone number is correct include country code 1. 

You can open a ticket with PM customer service for this matter.
https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Quigley
Mayor / Maire

@hycm53 

Getting 2FA from a USA bank is whole other ball game.  

@Quigley wrote:

@Tahuhali 

I believe that the PM system isn't set up for it.

That's weird, all PM plans include unlimited international text message.

Quigley
Mayor / Maire

@Tahuhali 

The problem is with your US bank not set up to send 3FA to Canada.

It's not a problem with Public Mobile.

Tahuhali

No, I've been a PM customer for 2 years, I got a new number with the plan.

Tahuhali

So, other Canadian carriers are set up to receive those short codes? I can receive codes from literally every other company or institution except my US bank, I'm not sure why it's different,

@Tahuhali wrote:

Any particular reason why?

@Tahuhali 

Usually it is not a problem with the carrier here but with the US bank. 

When US banks send to Canadian, their system has to setup explicitly for that, which is different from sending locally for US number.  A lot of the time, the system was not setup to send to Canada.  Yes, the agent might believe it can send to CAN but the truth is not

Quigley
Mayor / Maire

@Tahuhali 

Did you just join PM and port over a phone number?

@Tahuhali 

I believe that the PM system isn't set up for it.

Tahuhali

Any particular reason why?

Quigley
Mayor / Maire

@Tahuhali 

I don't believe that you can get short codes from US banking sites.

Try getting the 2FA through an email instead or phone call, if you can.

Need Help? Let's chat.