cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't receive calls

levans22
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have been with Public Mobile for about a month, and have not been able to receive calls.  I brought over my old cell phone number from another provider, and am able to make most calls, and send/rcv most texts.  Often, all of these functions fail if I'm not at home. My account is definitely cancelled with my former provider.  I have submitted a ticket, but no response in over 4 hours, so I am wondering if there a way to try to port the number over again, as I'm guessing it never completed successfully. 

9 REPLIES 9

I gather someone sent the number to you in private message. So inbound calls work now? Glad it's all sorted.

levans22

I have been sending/rcving texts for the last month.  It seems that I had some kind of mixed service, but my number was not properly ported over.  I have since spoken with the porting team, and they re-triggered the porting process, and it appears to have worked.  Thanks for your help.

You said you were able to "make most calls". What does that mean? Same for text. Can you turn off wifi and use cellular data to get to whatever web site? Can you turn off cellular data leaving wifi off and text?

When you call out does caller id show your proper number?

Can you try the sim in your old phone? These sims are multi-size. The smaller size pops out of a larger frame. You can do this back and forth very carefully to not break those frame parts.

levans22

Tried going to settings general about... no updates happen.  The new phone is registered to an apple ID.  I just logged onto my old provider, and see that the mobile account is saying "cancelled", so something happened there, without my doing.  I had an annual plan with them, that expires in late October.  If I try to call my new cell from my land line, it will ring forever... no response.  If I try to call my new cell from  another iphone, a message comes up immediately that it is unavailable.

Can you connect to wifi and go to settings general about and see if any updates happen. Did you register the new phone to an Apple ID?

But I'm still wondering about the success of the transfer. If you didn't confirm and the account is closed then how did it close? Or is just unpaid and not active?

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@levans22 

As per @softech, did you leave your old SIM in your phone and replied to the text confirming you are porting over to PM on your initial activation a month ago?

If not, you will need a CS_Agent to help you completing the porting.

If you did, try rebooting your phone by powering off the phone then back on.

levans22

I did not cancel the plan myself.  I looked in my old text history and can't see a confirmation text there... though I might've had my sim card out at that time.  I changed phones at the same time that I got the new Public Mobile plan. My old sim card would not fit in the new phone (iphone)... not sure if I just left it out of the old phone (android) at the point.  I have a land line, and still use it for most of my calling... transitioning now to cell.  But I use the cell mostly for texting at this point.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Did you cancel the old plan yourself? Or did it cancel from bringing your number over? Did you reply to the confirmation text that the old provider would have sent you on your old sim?

Why would wait a month to address this?

iOS? Android?

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@levans22 

has it been over a month already???

A critical part to porting is to receive a text from your old provider and reply YES within 90 mins.  If you are not receiving calls and text on your PM sim card and can only make outgoing calls,  then you might have missed the step and hence porting was not completed

If you joined PM for less than a month, there is a number to all to talk to live support and the can re-trigger the process for you.  I will message the number to you via the Community inbox.  Check the envelope icon on top right.  Call them and get it fixed

If you have joined PM for over one month, the old porting request would have been expired.  You will need to go into My Account and re-request phone number porting.  But before you do so, make sure you check your old provider to see if that line is still active and if you are still paying the bill there.  If you canceled the line there manually already, there is no chance to get that number ported over here now

[Call to Telus porting team worked ....... Luddite]

Need Help? Let's chat.