cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't receive SMS anymore

garbeam
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi there,

since today I cannot receive SMS anymore. I can send SMS though, but I don't receive any responses anymore.

I did unplug/replug the SIM card, I rebooted my phone and I checked my usage history online. In the usage history online incoming messages do not appear, so I suspect this is a technical issue on the carrier side.

SMS worked fine so far. I even tried with a different messaging app on my Android phone, but it doesn't make a difference. This is surely no Android or app issue, it is definitely a carrier issue.

What is weird in addition, that I see strange usage history entries about outgoing texts for 7723 which I definitely did not send or dialed.

So please look into this issue, as currently I cannot receive any texts.

UPDATE: I can confirm that receiving MMS works, but not SMS. Also this might be a conincidence, but my US text roaming package expired today, I think this is related to not being able to receive SMS anymore.

PLEASE fix this, as I need SMS reception for all kinds of things.

Thanks,

Ans

4 REPLIES 4

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@garbeam okay, so, it's not a coincidence, you are describing the well known (to the community anyway) bug with US Roaming Texting add-on.  When the add-on expires, it doesn't immediately remove itself from your account.  Instead, it stays on, expired, and confused the system such that it can't send you any SMS, even though you can send SMS, and MMS work in either direction.

Good news/bad news:  You could contact the moderators and ask them to remove the expired add-on manually for quicker resolution....    ...usually.  Unfortunately right now they are extremely backlogged and are taking 2-3 days to respond to requests.  That's the bad news.  The somewhat-good news is that typically within 24 hours of the expiry, the problem resolves itself as the add-on gets removed.  Try rebooting your phone every few hours and testing--eventually you'll see SMS start coming through again.

The worst part however is that anything that was sent to you during the time when the system couldnt' deliver the messages is lost forever and you'll never know what messages you missed.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

garbeam
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thanks for the hint, actually I disabled SMS permission for the Dialer app, makes sense.

But it only solves the weird "calls" to this number. It does not have any effect on my SMS reception problem that started today.

stonechucker
Mayor / Maire

Doing a quick google search, this might explain the messages to 7723.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/Pixel-on-Oreo-tries-to-send-Int-l-SMS...

Need Help? Let's chat.