cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't add a new APN on LG G7ThinkQ

Marinela
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I just bought a new Lg G7 ThinkQ and I moved my PM SIM in it. I can call, text message but I can't use the data because I can't add a new APN, as I found in some instructions that I have to do. It is no + sign to add it... Can anyone help? Thanks in advance... 

15 REPLIES 15

Marinela

Thank you @apetresc. The link to the App you sent fixed my APN issue. Awesome! 

I also want to thank everyone who replied to my original post. It is great to see how the PM Community works. 

apetresc
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

It sounds likely to be a software glitch in the UI – for some reason the network manager just isn't presenting the option to add an APN.

If that's the case, then an alternative application for configuring APN settings might still be able to add it. A Google search turns up this custom APK someone wrote to work around a similar issue: https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%21AAlIArKAxUmztZc&cid=C48A9603A89C84E3&id=C48A9603A89C84E3%21160...

(You'll need to enable Developer Mode to allow sideloading APKs. You can find instructions for that step here or elsewhere on the internet)

Marinela

I have just done the Network reset... Didn't work 😒

I am waiting still for CSA to hopefully help... 

Marinela
  • Thanks... Waiting for CSA reply.   

Marinela

Unfortunately I don't anybody using Freedom.

I have contacted CSA and waiting for reply.

For the resets seems a bit more work with all the back up... I have lots of pictures on my phone... I'll keep it as a last resource.

Thanks. 

Marinela
  • Thanks a lot for all the suggestions. 

I am running Android 9

Yes, the phone came from US and is a Sprint model

I don't know of a London Drugs

I have contacted CSA and currently waiting for a reply. 

@Marinela   There is not much with Network reset.. except that all the saved Wifi will be gone as well. So, you will have to reenter password for each Wifi

But yes, Network Reset and/or Factory reset are usually needed for LG phones

Marinela

Thank you for the advise. I will keep the factory reset as last resource as it seems more involving with back up etc.

For Network reset are any additional steps? 

@Anonymous wrote:

@Marinela : Another option is to try using a Freedom SIM. Maybe a store would have a wasted one that would do the trick. And then there's a rather more technical option of using some commands to make it happen. Then lastly, the CSA's might be able to push the APN to the phone via a text.

But since it's a new phone...just try the suggested idea above for now.

@Marinela  - LG is a funny phone here. It is strange, 'cause I started out with LG and Public Mobile and all was great!

But, that was an older LG.

If @softech 's steps aren't working for you maybe @Anonymous has a good solution to have customer support (CSA) sent you the APN info.

You can contact the Public Mobile Customer Support Agent (CSA)_Team, there are two methods to reach them found here:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/contact-an-agent

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Marinela 

A customer support agent is a CSA....contact them for a configuration file to change your APN to public mobile's. That may be your easiest option if you are not very techie. Freedom this the 4th semi major provider in Canada. Their sim cards are set up with the ability to edit APN's for other providers.

To contact customer support click below:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #.

@Marinela wrote:

Thanks for reply... Unfortunately I don't know what a Freedom SIM is... I have a SIM with Public Mobile that I try to use with the plan I have for data.

As for CSA... No idea what that is either... Sorry for my ignorance... 

@Marinela   CSA is Public Mobile Customer Support Agent

Freedom SIM is the sim card from Freedom Mobile.   You can see if any of your friends using Freedom mobile and borrow the SIM and put into your phone and see if the Freedom SIM unlocked the Add APN feature

you tried Network Reset or Factory Reset yet?

Marinela

Thanks for reply... Unfortunately I don't know what a Freedom SIM is... I have a SIM with Public Mobile that I try to use with the plan I have for data.

As for CSA... No idea what that is either... Sorry for my ignorance... 

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Marinela 

This is usually a problem associated Oreo 8.1. If you are running this try and do a software upgrade to Android 9 or above.

If you have a London Drugs nearby they may still be selling the now defunct Roam mobility sim cards for $0.49. To my understanding like a freedom sim card it need not be active or activated to be able to perform the procedure to edit your APN.

A network or factory reset will allow you to update the APN on most LG phones. 

Or contacting customer support can get you a carrier configuration file texted to your phone to update your APN.

If you ordered your phone from the US and it is an at&t model then you have a whole different issue on your hands.

To contact customer support click below:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Marinela : Another option is to try using a Freedom SIM. Maybe a store would have a wasted one that would do the trick. And then there's a rather more technical option of using some commands to make it happen. Then lastly, the CSA's might be able to push the APN to the phone via a text.

But since it's a new phone...just try the suggested idea above for now.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Marinela did you try a Network Reset?  Very often LG phone needs a reset network when a new SIM is used

if it still fails, you might need to try a factory reset.  Backup all your pictures and important data first, copy to computer or cloud backup. Then with the PM SIM inside the phone, run a Factory reset and setup the phone WITHOUT restoring the backup.  Test the mobile data and voice first.   if everything good, then you can restore your data from Cloud Backup

Need Help? Let's chat.