cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I text multiple people at once?

Dsibbald
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I am a new user. I tried to text two people today and it did not go through. I have an iPhone. I do have iMessage set up when I’m Wi-Fi. I have mms clicked and sms when not in wifi. I am able to text each individual separately…..

thanks

32 REPLIES 32

@Anonymous wrote:

@esjliv : I _really_ like the colour thing for your edits. That's a great idea. Not required of course but sure is nice.

@Anonymous  well thanks!

I find it easier to know WHY or WHAT I have changed; otherwise, i really don't know or will probably have no recollection myself. 😛

It would be nice if it auto-colored for edits. But, at least I will take the notation of the edit (better than nothin')

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Dsibbald : If the plan is brand new then it has data. I'm not sure why you said talk and text at 9:07am (PT?).

@esjliv : I _really_ like the colour thing for your edits. That's a great idea. Not required of course but sure is nice.

@Dsibbald wrote:

I agree.  I should be able to send pictures and SMS without the data turned on for this plan.  But I can't send pictures and I can't send to multiple users??

@Dsibbald  - so you know (and if it has not already been mentioned) sending and receiving MMS do need to have your data ON.

BUT, this does not take up your DATA allocation from your plan. The only way data would be used up, is if you had other programs running that may use data while you toggled your DATA option on for the message to send / receive.

That is why it is listed as SMS/MMS unlimited texting.

You are an iphone, so see these options.

esjliv_0-1642270604346.png

That screen shot I provided (previously) is from Android, so those are options available for Android users to send to multiple people at once (without turning DATA). But the recipients receive individual texts (they would not know it was a group text sent).

Hope that makes sense.

EDIT: to correct typos/grammar, gesh.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Dsibbald : The above post is why I need to stop for the time being.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Dsibbald wrote:

Thank you for all this info.  I have tried resetting.  I tried the APN.  

We have MMS on.  when on wifi or data it works.  We have a plan here for my daughter that is only talk and text.  In text mode it will not send to multiple people or even photos, which the plans says it should do? I tried turning iMessage off and it still doesn't work.  eesh

@Dsibbald 

do you can try to test your SIM card in another device to you know the issue from SIM card network or your device issue.

if in another device is working fine then you can try to backup and Factory Reset,

How to Factory Reset iPhone.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Dsibbald : I'm sorry if there was a misunderstanding. I need to reduce my stress level with the recent appearance of a certain user. So I'm trying to finish up with this ongoing conversation. Maybe I should just leave it to esjliv.

Your test results above were exactly as I predicted. MMS (pictures) need data on (and works even without data on the account) Having no data on the account would mean no browsing or updates or syncs. Those can only be done on wifi. But MMS needs data on. It's just how it is. For all providers. Apple is in their world with iMessage. I'm not an Apple guy.

Dsibbald

once again. I'm a competent phone user for data and no data.  I will contact public mobile.  I feel something is up with the plan. Thank you all for your help troubleshooting.

Dsibbald

I'm sorry if I frustrated you.  The plan is brand new.  I'm a competent iphone user. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Dsibbald : While I'm still on this thread...it's not a thing to agree or not...it's simply how MMS works. With or without data on the plan, data needs to be on for MMS. SMS doesn't need data at all. edit: until it gets too long in some cases

Dsibbald

I agree.  I should be able to send pictures and SMS without the data turned on for this plan.  But I can't send pictures and I can't send to multiple users??

Dsibbald

how do I get to this screen above?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Dsibbald : How old is the plan you're on? Using MMS doesn't even need a data feature available and it'll work. Turning on data without the feature simply won't work for browsing and updates and syncs.

Edit: I'm out. I simply can't tolerate watching the mess a user makes of this place. Catch y'all later.

@Dsibbald wrote:

ok, thank you.  so is that part of the unlimited text and picture messaging?? if it is using data then that doesn't seem part of the plan and there would be overages that were not to be expected?

@Dsibbald  - No Overages here.

If you have not already paid for something, then you will not get charged extra for it, or the service simply will not work.

Dsibbald

ok, thank you.  so is that part of the unlimited text and picture messaging?? if it is using data then that doesn't seem part of the plan and there would be overages that were not to be expected?

Dsibbald

1. iMessage off, wifi off, data off - result?  single text - YES SMS delivered, text to two individuals - NOT DELIVERED

2. iMessage off, wifi off, data on - result? single text - YES SMS delivered, text to two phones - YES delivered

3. iMessage off, wifi on, data off - result? single text - YES SMS delivered, text to two phones - NOT delivered

4. iMessage on, wifi off, data off - result? single text - YES SMS delivered, text to two phones - NOT DELIVERED

5. iMessage on, wifi off, data on - result? Single iMessage delivered, text to two phones - iMessage delivered

6. iMessage on, wifi on, data off - result? Single iMessage delivered, text to two phones - iMessage delivered

@Dsibbald wrote:

Yes, thank you.  Data and wifi work to use iMessage in blue.  

I only want to use text "green".  However it seems I have to have data turned on to use only "green" messages.  

I am confused why we need to have data on when we are not using iMessage.  We can "green" message single individuals without data on.  But I am problem solving and finding I need data on to send SMS/MMS to multiple individuals at once.  Or even to send a picture.  This shouldn't be the way???

@Dsibbald  - well, sending a picture there is no way around it. You need to have your data on to send an MMS no matter what type of phone you have. That is just the way an MMS works.

EDIT: for Group Messaging:

DATA needs to be on when "Sending as an MMS:

DATA should NOT need to be on when "Sending as an SMS" (mass text)

You want the TOP option selected, so you DO NOT NEED DATA.

esjliv_2-1630627938256.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Dsibbald : With iMessage off, you're using the app in standard SMS texting ie. green mode. You don't need data on for standard texting. You DO need data on for group or pictures or long texts.

Dsibbald

Yes, thank you.  Data and wifi work to use iMessage in blue.  

I only want to use text "green".  However it seems I have to have data turned on to use only "green" messages.  

I am confused why we need to have data on when we are not using iMessage.  We can "green" message single individuals without data on.  But I am problem solving and finding I need data on to send SMS/MMS to multiple individuals at once.  Or even to send a picture.  This shouldn't be the way???

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Dsibbald : 1. iMessage off, wifi off, data off - result?

2. iMessage off, wifi off, data on - result?

3. iMessage off, wifi on, data off - result?

4. iMessage on, wifi off, data off - result?

5. iMessage on, wifi off, data on - result?

6. iMessage on, wifi on, data off - result?

In non-Apple, group and photo messages and long messages use MMS which needs cell data. (other than chat)

@Dsibbald  - when you are sending via iMessages, they will appear Blue.

When sending via SMS/MMS, these will appear Green.

Have this link for reference:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207006

esjliv_0-1642267990236.png

Dsibbald

Thank you for the reply:

I have turned off iMessage.  I have turned on the data.  I can send two people text in green.

I have turned off iMessage.  If I turn data off, I can't send two people text in green.

Does this make sense?  I thought data would only need to be on if I wanted to use iMessage?

@Dsibbald wrote:

Good morning. We are trying not to use the data. The package we have is talk and text.  Unlimited text and photos even international.  At this point we still can't text two people in "green" at the same time. Can't send pictures to a single text in green.  The plan I feel is not working?? is that possible?

@Dsibbald  - is your DATA option on? You will need this on if you are using iMessage when out of WIFI areas.

If you turn your data off occasionally, then it is recommended to turn off iMessage altogether and use regular text messaging instead.

To do this, go to Settings > Messages and toggle iMessage off.

If you prefer to use iMessage, then you can perform the following steps to fix the issue:

1. Connect to the internet using WiFi or Data.
  2. Go to Settings > Messages and toggle iMessage OFF.
  3. Turn your iPhone off completely, then turn it back on.
  4. Go back into Settings > Messages and toggle iMessage ON.
  5. Make sure “Send as SMS” is also turned ON.

Dsibbald

Good morning. We are trying not to use the data. The package we have is talk and text.  Unlimited text and photos even international.  At this point we still can't text two people in "green" at the same time. Can't send pictures to a single text in green.  The plan I feel is not working?? is that possible?

Dsibbald

we all have iPhones.  

Dsibbald

Thank you for all this info.  I have tried resetting.  I tried the APN.  

We have MMS on.  when on wifi or data it works.  We have a plan here for my daughter that is only talk and text.  In text mode it will not send to multiple people or even photos, which the plans says it should do? I tried turning iMessage off and it still doesn't work.  eesh

Dsibbald

Hi, thank you.  We have MMS on.  when on wifi or data it works.  We have a plan here for my daughter that is only talk and text.  In text mode it will not send to multiple people or even photos, which the plans says it should do.

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

@Dsibbald Make sure your data is turned on in case those group texts are being sent as MMS. Try turning iMessage off and see what happens. 

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@Dsibbald 

Enabling this feature is simple: Go to Settings > Messages > Group Messaging and turn it on.

That's it! Now, when you send a group message, if the other user has the feature enabled, they will be able to see everyone in the conversation as well as send a message back to everyone.

LeePublic
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Could it be because one of the people in the group doesn't have a iPhone? Apple messaging can be really sticky due to Apple's lock in with iMessage. I don't like Apple's practices......

Need Help? Let's chat.