cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I add another sim card to my account for an older phone

Kate_mcc
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

My screen on my A20 died and the old cell phone I have here uses a large sim. The frame of the sim broke so I need to get a new sim. How do I activate the old phone ?

7 REPLIES 7

hyT
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@cavemantoronto 

NO disagreement with you. I do not suggest cutting larger SIM cards to fit into smaller SIM slots.

But since most newer phones now use nano-SIM cards, saving SIM adapter frames would allow me to switch to older phones with larger SIM slots easily if my newer phones run into problems.

@hyT 

It's not as simple it's too big of a sim and it's an old one without adapters. I don't like cut sims.

hyT
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Kate_mcc @Luddite 

I have always saved the punched out frames of tri-SIMs or dual-SIMs. I have also bought from an online store a few years ago adapter kits with various frames (for $1 each when the store had a free-shipping promotion). So any nanoSIM can be used in any of my old phones in a pinch. It's the metal contacts of the SIM that make it work. No need to buy a new SIM or swap SIM numbers.

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@Kate_mcc If you are still trying to get this sorted, I think there is an easier way. Get a new PM SIM, or find a friend who save the bits from any tri-SIM, and use the frames to enlarge your current SIM. No need to swap the active SIM in your account. That way your old phone will work, and you have a spare SIM.

The other possibility, if your old phone is old enough, is to position your PM SIM "just so" in the phone so that the SIM contacts meet up with the phone contacts. Have done that in a pinch just to test old phones.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Once you receive your new SIM card, you can change the SIM card number on your account and reactivate your service via Self-Serve by following these steps:

1. Log into your Self-Serve account
  2. Go to Plan and Add-ons > Change SIM card

Triguy_0-1590836038610.png

1. Enter your new SIM card number into the field. Your SIM card number is found on the back of your SIM card, as outlined in the image below:

Triguy_1-1590836038632.png

zblackma
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Sorry to here that @Kate_mcc you can buy a replacement sim card. And add via the change sim option in your self service account. Note make sure that the clerk doesnt activate it for you. Then put the sim into the phone.

cavemantoronto
Mayor / Maire

You go into your self serve account and do a sim swap. The only thing else it to put the sim in your phone.

Need Help? Let's chat.