cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calls from Public accounts and Bellus network

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

My bit of search is coming up empty. Is this a job for the support people?

My phone is not receiving calls from other Public accounts. It will receive from TextNow. It will receive from Fido. It will receive from Shaw Mobile.

I move the sim to another phone and it receives calls fine.

I manually re-connect to Public (leaving it on automatic). I switch to 3G only. I power down and restart (basically the same as airplane mode but more so).

The caller just gets nothing and it hangs up.

The phone jumps up in bars the way it does when it switches to 3G. Then it goes no service. Then it returns to normal.

No Do Not Disturb. No blocked callers.

This has apparently been going for a few days so it doesn't seem related to todays events. Yeah yeah I'm a low usage user and nobody calls me that I know of. Now anyway.

What other search terms can I use. Or is this simply a job for the support people?

Adding - changed subject line

110 REPLIES 110

Wow...hard to believe PM's/Telus tech. dept. still haven't managed to get to the bottom of this issue for you.  That was definitely very good of darlicious and crew  (her cats, lol?) to rendezvous in an effort to help you find a solution.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

A huge thank you to darlicious and her crew for a rendezvous in a small town into the night to test a Public sim in my problem phone. Same problem. So it's not the sim, so I don't have to burn one to test that idea.

This problem has been going so long now the Telus point guy I had been communicating with is going to a different department. He assures me the other guy will get it fixed. Uh huh. Um so why couldn't you.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@hTideGnow 

The irony in this issue is that we were continually told by the ccts during the complaint process that their goal is to return the customer to their original position. However it's not within their scope to address pricing or Price hikes. It is within their scope to address service issues. This a service issue.

If replacing the SIM card will fix the issue then the provider should pay for it. If that's part of the troubleshooting process and it doesn't fix the issue the provider should still pay for it. The onus should not be on the customer to have to pay for troubleshooting nor should they be denied service because the provider isn't willing to pay for the cost of troubleshooting. It would be cheaper for them to pay for the cost of a replacement or send the customer a free replacement SIM card since the customer already has a spare SIM card. Sending the customer a replacement SIM card is the price of a postage stamp.

Since we were told over and over again the 30% rate hike was in order to continue to provide us with world class service the provider should be able to ensure the customer can get all of their incoming calling. Since sending and receiving phone calls on the basic 50/50 plan is an essential part of the service plan the customer is subscribed to and the only part of the service that can be added to whereas there is no way to add additional texting to the plan.

So there's quite a bit of irony in the fact that the customer is now paying 30% more for reduction in their basic services. And the fact that the issue has occurred once the customer complained that the 30% rate hike was unreasonable and unjustified. 🤔🍋🤪

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@sheytoon 

Thanks for your input. Your opinion harkens back to my initial thoughts on the routing of the calls not being completed because of when @dust2dust  first call forwarded his phone number before suspension for the c c t s complaint and this issue occurred once he resumed his service.

We both had the same voicemail issue when suspending whereas calls were no longer routed to voicemail (like usual) but to the voice messaging system. The only difference is @dust2dust  call forwarded his phone number where as I did not. We both have almost identical dual SIM phone phones. Mine being older the A320 2017 with @dust2dust 's phone being the 20/20 version I believe?

At this point having discussed the possibilities with no change/fix I keep typing in the symptoms and coming out with other possibile diagnosis.... so I suppose it's playing a bit of A3 WebMD. So it wouldn't surprise me if maybe the tech team skipped over the original thought of the routing and voicemail and call forwarding and maybe the fix is sitting there all along but overlooked? While we are grasping at straws?

@Nezgar- I'm on the $13 plan. I don't like spending money unnecessarily. If we could "shop" with balance on hand maybe I'd be fine with that.

It's interesting to me that both sims don't work. I could sorta kinda get if one didn't work. No, I have not been able to test a Public sim in the phone. The spouse doesn't want to let me and I don't know anybody in my area with Public.

Adding - @hTideGnow - That's a part of why I'm not so sure it's worth a complaint. But darlicious is up on all these things so there's some weight there. The phone had worked for about 2 years. I don't think the Canadian model thing matters. It's what we all say all the time with compatibility questions. Bands and frequencies. Check.

HI @dust2dust   if the sim works in another phone , you really don't have a case for complain.  

the usual phone you have is a dual sim phone?  so,it is not a true Canadian model?  The one you tested and work is a Canadian model?  maybe that is the reason?

@dust2dust I would just buy the $10 or less sim to answer the question if new SIM helps or not... worry about trying to get that credited later...

.. On the other hand, maybe this has been answered already, does a SIM from another PM account do the same thing when in your phone?

@hTideGnow- Everything works except inbound calls from Bellus. A Telus company-shared sim and a personal Fido sim worked but I'm not certain if they used volte. The sims work in another phone. darlicious is of the mind that this is C C T S worthy. I'm not so sure yet.

I'm getting tired of hauling around 2 phones. One primary for calls and the other data. I did that before I got this dual-sim phone. It's why I bought the dual-sim phone in the first place.

Hi @dust2dust   but your sim on your usual phone will not receive PM calls AT ALL?  but it works on another phone? (how about calls from Koodo and Telus? same? )

what are you going to do if this goes no where and no fix found? (Move your friends and family all out of PM.. LOL)

@hTideGnow- They said that if the change sim didn't fix the problem then they wouldn't credit me the cost of the sim. Whereas if it did fix the problem then they would. I wasn't willing to do this experiment at a 50% risk of my cost. I was thinking along the same lines but here we are.

Hi @dust2dust   did they offer you  the try sim card change?  Yes, I don't think it is sim card itself, but I just hope  changing sim card, it will reprovision something in the system and make it works again.  

Just throwing some idea out here

Thank you for keeping an eye on this thread @sheytoon . Yes everything works except inbound calls from the same network. Inbound calls from other providers works. Telus has been at this for over a month now. I'm so far not convinced they know what they're doing.

I'm just grasping around at ideas. I come from an IT background so I have some basic understanding of some things network related. This is all digitized networked data nowadays. I don't know how the many different parts of telecom put it all together though. What all "switches" need to be "flipped" and where. To filter or not to filter. Do not pass go, do not collect $200.

Adding - I don't suppose you'd be able to look in to a ticket # that the Telus tech guy gave me? Not a Public Mobile ticket #. Or if I gave you what name came up when he called me for testing. Wait...how did I see a name when he called? He's not in my contacts. Or a co-worker he knows who is also with Public who did a test call also came up with a "name". So that adds to the mystery of why he and that Public co-worker were in fact able to call in. hmmmmm  Interesting.

This is not my area of expertise but FWIW I don't think it's related to IMEI or whitelisting.

It seems to be related to core routing and switching, maybe some of the "routing" wasn't completed correctly. When it comes to voice calls, it's important to remember that incoming and outgoing are completely different procedures. It sounds to me like certain providers cannot locate your phone number when they try to dial your number. I would focus the tech support effort in that direction.

I still find I push back on that. Everything works except inbound in-network. And the sims work in another phone. And other sims work in the phone.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@dust2dust 

Thanks I needed a reminder in regards to who could reach you. I would be turning to the CCTS after this if they still can't figure it out. It's a network problem that's going on two months. They need to at least be crediting you $26....for your world class service that they hiked up 30% to provide you with?😁

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

@darlicious- Perhaps a reminder..Bell, Virgin, Telus PAYG, Telus prepaid, Telus landline, Koodo postpaid, Public Mobile are all unable to call in to my phone. Rogers, Fido, Shaw Mobile, Shaw landline, Freedom, Textnow can all call in. It's been so long I may not be remembering everything.

It's perhaps a red herring to talk about VoWiFi and VoLTE when those services are not offered here.

Is there such a thing as a whitelist for allowing internal network phones to complete a call to 3G from inside the network?

Is there such a thing as a whitelist for allowing external network phones to complete a call to 3G from outside the network?

Would a lowly support person have any clue as to what to do with these ideas?

But sure, this may also very well be what the problem is. Are the highly trained, experienced, expensive techs in Telus thinking of these ideas scratching their heads trying to figure out the problem? If one were to be so well paid one would think they would.

I'll put it to the Telus tech guy on Tuesday. So like is there a whitelist that my IMEI's need to be on to allow internal calls to come through? See what if anything he says. At this point in time after all of this, he's not terribly responsive to my thoughts. Maybe the big guns will be back at it after this weekend and they'll go oh yeah, here, done.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@dust2dust 

Okay I think it has something to do with white listing your IMEI's with public mobile service or accepting calls for public mobile customers and something to do with VoLTE and/or Wi-Fi calling.

Apparently your device, my device or anybody's device will have to be on the supported device list to be able to be enabled with volte calling whenever telus implements VoLTE calling for public customers. When they talk about your device being supported and if it's supported they then whitelist it and whitelist the IMEI #.

So I haven't quite wrapped my brain around how exactly this works but like re-registering your phone number I think your IMEI #'s need re-registration so they need to be whitelisted again.

This thread from the Fido community (LOL... yeah the useless Fido community touches on the whitelisting of a device for VoLTE calling) so it seems somewhere this applies to you I don't know how you got to where you are but this seems to be the problem as though you've been not exactly been blacklisted but not whitelisted either which is disallowing PM numbers from calling you? I think in theory anyhow.....🤔?

https://forums.fido.ca/t5/Phones-and-Devices/IMEI-registration-on-Fido-database/m-p/161165

@darlicious- Like I said, I don't know what the support people do when they do something to the service but it made no difference. And then the techs at Telus can't seem to figure this out. It IS frustrating.

I mean what am I gonna say - uh yeah could you please re-register my number in your system. They'll shake their heads and say what?

Yes, I think the routing uses IMEI and that's where I think they should be looking. But I don't get paid the big bucks. But why both? One might explain that. But both? I don't know.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@dust2dust 

You're welcome. The solution is in there somewhere but how to find the exact one and to apply it is very frustrating. Re-registering your number or perhaps the IMEI's of your dual SIM phone might be the answer.

Incredible effort @darlicious . Thank you.

I don't have that menu tree. Are you meaning Private DNS?

I have tried not having it set on LTE/3G/2G. 3G only and 3G/2G. No difference.

I would not have known anything about asking them to re-register the number. They had said that they did their usual I dunno re-provisioning whatever. No difference.

I'll ask.

I can cancel global forwarding. It says No number set. If I blank out what was there (my textnow number) it comes back when I click on Enable and then leaves me there to choose cancel or enable. I cancel. Returns to show No number set. I had also recently tried out the forwarding for the previous thread about forwarding sms where I did my proof of concept (and wrote about it here). Then canceled it again. No number set.

If I try to blank out the conditionals and then Update, it comes back with

Failed to read data

Unable to deactivate call diverting when phone is unreachable. Unsupported by operator. Ok.

Tap Ok and the previous number is still there (the default voicemail access number VAN).

Same except it says unanswered. Same except it says busy.

Try to set it to + or +1 for each..

Failed to read data

Something went wrong. Check your SIM card or network connection, then try again. OK

Tap ok and it is all the same.

Use a dial code like ##67# and it says it erased. Go back in and there's the default VAN again.

As I mentioned, I did do some other call forwarding to fiddle with the idea of sms forwarding and all for international.

Call forward from other working phone to another phone, call to the first phone (from the problem phone but it has worked for outgoing all this time) ...gets through.

The old S7 running A8 shows Disabled instead of No number set on the problem phone on A12.

Then switch the sim that was in the S7 that had BEEN forwarded and unforwarded into the problem phone and the sim that was in that phone into the S7...still says No number set but it DID remember the forwarding number I tried. Call it from the S7...no difference.

I don't know how a cell network routes connections but I think that for some mysterious reason, the two IMEI's of my dual-sim phone have been removed somehow from their internal routing tables. I add to that thinking that external routing tables for external providers are different from internal routing tables and that my IMEI's are in the external routing tables and work fine. For calls that have to go to UMTS. I'm not certain for calls that MIGHT have arrived in VoLTE.

Back to both being as was. No difference.

I suspect you're very much in the diamond (not ballpark) but I don't know how it can be resolved.

Thank you so much for your investigative efforts on all this.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@hairbag1 

Ok you were too far away too. Oh well we tried as a community to help them out.

I offered but she declined as she had no relative / friend here to take it to them in Fernie.

Fernie is approx 200 miles from here.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@hairbag1 

Just where are you located near Fernie? We almost had a referral for you the other day if you are near there?

If I was going to Kelowna, I'd be glad to try with my sim...but no plans to go there just now.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@dust2dust 

Okay I just did a little more research so a couple of suggestions...

Go to settings>>network and internet>> advanced>>DNS>>automatic? If so turn off. Also if you have preferred network on LTE turn that off.

Little info on getting the error code 1B1 or 1H1 which is the customer you are requesting is unavailable. This is commonly caused by a carrier registration problem. Have you asked Public Mobile to try to re-register your phone number?

Lastly looking up these similar issues I came across a fix to exactly what you describe with turning off call forwarding... all call forwarding. Can you do that so that even your phone will not call forward to voicemail? And test? I can help with that if need be....? My other thought on this would be have you tried to take your sim card put it in another phone and perform some call forwarding some test calls and then remove the call forwarding then put your sim card back in your phone see if it changes and vice versa put a different SIM card in your phone do some call forwarding test calls then remove the call forwarding and then put your sim card back in and see if that changes things? So this is coming back to my initial thoughts on the call forwarding before suspension screwed things up and now the network is not registering that you have removed that call forwarding that initially you did to textnow so it is still trying to call forward to a non-existent call forwarding info ... If that makes sense?

@darlicious- The spouse is reluctant to let me try. 🙂 It's why I wanted to test with a new sim. But the evidence is suggesting otherwise. Two sims in either slot don't work. Both sims in another phone work.

I wondered if @hairbag1 ever comes to the central Okanagan for Costco or something. Or anybody else in the area.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@dust2dust 

If it's a network problem then it could be a sim problem. Because the Sim is the connection between your phone and the network. The SIM card works fine in any other phone but your phone. And every other SIM card works fine in your phone does it not? Like the wife's SIM card has no issues with your phone? If I recall correctly?

Too bad you're not nearby so we could test your sim card in my A3 which was suspended for almost identical amount of time to see if the issue would reoccur? If you end up heading my way anytime in the near future maybe we should consider testing that out?

@darlicious- But everything else on the phone works plus external inbound plus those couple other sims. The sims work in another phone.

The local Mobile Klinik guy put me on to a little repair shop with a guy that apparently knows everything about Samsung phones. Told him the story and he goes straight to it being a problem in the network. Not the device, not the sim. Ok then. Of course maybe he just wanted me out of his shop but that's what he said. If he might have known of any repair I should think he would have said so.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@dust2dust 

If they won't credit you a SIM card they should at least be crediting you $13 for not providing the service they have promised you this would be a legitimate ccts complaint as their goal is to return the customer to their original position which would be full services. Perhaps you should try that angle. Which would cover the cost of trying your sim card test which would also be something the ccts would cover in terms of again returning you to your original position. Lol... The irony?

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

So this is still ongoing. I've recently found that also Bell and Virgin can't call in. And Freedom can. Likely the same as Shaw Mobile of course but still.

Another Telus test came up with what sounded like a 1V1 error. Could have been 1B1. It was on speakerphone. I asked the clerk to confirm what they heard and they said V. I couldn't easily find 1V1 info. But there might be some 1B1 info.

I also found that a company-shared Telus sim worked. Which leads me to wonder if maybe perhaps the two sims I tried (this Telus and Fido earlier) were maybe coming inbound as volte. I wasn't watching for that so I'm not at all sure. Just theorizing after the fact. I was just looking to take very little time of the clerk to do the test. Clerks are very hesitant to switch sims. 🙂

I have forwarded all of these findings to the Telus tech guy I'm in contact with. I think I'm well down any priority list by now though.

I tried to get credit from support if I were to try a new sim. No one is saying it's a sim problem though so they said no. I'm not going to burn a sim just to find it doesn't fix it when they won't pay for the test. If it were to fix it then they would. Grasping straws.

The story continues....

Need Help? Let's chat.