cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calls from Condo Front Door to Galaxy S9

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

Until yesterday everything worked as normal. When someone would call from the front door it would ring through to our respective cell phones. Hers a Galaxy S9, mine a Pixel 5. Then all of a sudden calls from the front door to the S9 don't ring through to the phone, they ring for the caller at the door and eventually go to voicemail. Calls to the Pixel 5 from the front door worked fine. I swapped the sims in the 2 phones and tried again. This time calls to my wife's name from the front door (used to be in the S9) ring through normally to the Pixel 5. Alas you can see where this is going lol. Calls to my name from the front door (sim was in Pixel 5) fail to ring through to the S9, instead eventually going to voicemail. All other incoming calls to the S9 work fine, ringing through to the phone.

I have tried restarts. I have removed the sim from the phone, cleaned it, tried it in a different phone where it works, replaced it in the S9 where it doesn't work from the front door. I placed my sim in the s9 where calls to me from front door don't work. I did a network reset, didn't help. Is this a sign of things to come? The first step in the phone failing?

Any ideas or insights are greatly appreciated.

40 REPLIES 40

@Nezgar wrote:

@kb_mv  With your SIM in the S9, can you try calling your S9 from another phone with outgoing caller ID blocked? Just to test how the S9 handles an incoming anonymous call.

ie dial #31#your10digitnum

Just in case the front door panel caller ID is not making it through, or somehow your S9 is thinking the incoming call is an anonymous/caller ID blocked call.

Another test would be to temporarily set an unconditional call forward to see if the call at least will divert elsewhere...

@Nezgar Thanks for jumping in on this. The door number (caller ID) is displayed when it calls so it isn't a number that is private. Having said that I did block my outgoing caller ID and called the S9.  It went through to the S9 no problems. I then tried the unconditional call forwarding. The "door call" was successfully forwarded from the S9 to my Pixel 5.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Nezgar 

Thank you. I knew you would be able to suggest an appropriate test. I wonder does the S9 have spam detection? Could it have registered the intercom # as such?

To contact customer support click below:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include in your private messaging only your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #.

@dust2dust wrote:

Nezgar: I forgot to indicate who I was asking. Would you be able to address the questions from this conversation yesterday?

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/How-to-I-reprogram-my-voicemail/m-p/81126...

Which question are you referring to? I participated on that thread, which seems to have focused on some particular voicemail deposit/access numbers don't seem to behave the same as others. I myself was not able to reproduce the issue, but simply programming a different default voicemail access number solved it for a couple of that threads respondents.

Nezgar: I forgot to indicate who I was asking. Would you be able to address the questions from this conversation yesterday?

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/How-to-I-reprogram-my-voicemail/m-p/81126...

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

@kb_mv  With your SIM in the S9, can you try calling your S9 from another phone with outgoing caller ID blocked? Just to test how the S9 handles an incoming anonymous call.

ie dial #31#your10digitnum

Just in case the front door panel caller ID is not making it through, or somehow your S9 is thinking the incoming call is an anonymous/caller ID blocked call.

Another test would be to temporarily set an unconditional call forward to see if the call at least will divert elsewhere...

@softech wrote:

@kb_mv   did you try the forward to VoIP app at least at a workaround?

also, you want to try to install another dialer just in case that is the weakest link?

or an S22 on the way? (trust me, you won't regret  🙂  )

@softech Haven't tried the VOIP idea as I have 2 numbers on the panel so people can get through if they know us. I did try a 3rd party dialer. No change. S22? My better half is still contemplating whether to get one or just live with the inconvenience of having to go down and get visitors when I am not home. I'm guessing that as I just bought myself the Pixel 5, the S22 would be the "home" / her phone lol.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@kb_mv 

I wonder what would happen if you played with your conditional and unconditional call forwarding (wait this is ringing a bell about this issue...vague memory of another user...hmmm?🤔)

Anyways for some reason at least one of call forwarding options now defaults your intercom calls to voicemail. So if you test both phones call forwarding maybe you will figure out which one that is and why it occurs. @Nezgar could probably give you a good testing protocol to follow.....

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include in your private messaging only your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

kb_mv: Another shot in the dark, can you find out what provider the intercom is using? Probably wired landline. Could be cable/fibre. Maybe cell. Who knows maybe even voip.

Then once you know see if another user of whichever service (if you can know somehow) can call the S9.

@kb_mv   did you try the forward to VoIP app at least at a workaround?

also, you want to try to install another dialer just in case that is the weakest link?

or an S22 on the way? (trust me, you won't regret  🙂  )

@kav2001c wrote:

I also am looking towards condo being the issue

I had an issue where a condo ringer would not work with a newer area code / exchange previously

@kav2001c If the condo was the problem, the number wouldn't work in any phone. I have 2 numbers with PM. Neither is new nor are they from a new area code. I have had these numbers for a few years. One in a Pixel 5 and one in the S9. It started recently that calls to the S9 from the front door would ring at the front door panel, never connecting to my phone and then of course going to PM voicemail when it is unanswered. Prior to this all worked as it should. The same thing happens with the second number when I put the sim for it in the S9. Conversely, both numbers behave properly when the sims are in the Pixel 5 (ie: the calls go through to the phone and show up on the handset where i can buzz the caller in.

kav2001c
Mayor / Maire

I also am looking towards condo being the issue

I had an issue where a condo ringer would not work with a newer area code / exchange previously

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

@kb_mv wrote:

The call is being made from the front door panel with no issue, reaching me on my Pixel 5 but not on my S9 instead going to voicemail. This is a recent change

Did you consider factory reset to put S9 into default stage?

@esjliv wrote:

@kb_mv 

Koodo forum has a similar issue:

https://community.koodomobile.com/tips-tricks-troubleshooting-232914/help-apartment-buzzer-not-worki...

Some of these suggestion in the link have already been mentioned.

Have you spoke to your landlord/management about any changes they made?

Could it be that it needs to be set up to add a  '1' from the intercom?

@esjliv Thanks for the link. I tried all of those as well lol. It all works fine on my Pixel 5 but neither of my accounts with different numbers work on the S9.

@dust2dust wrote:

This might have already been looked at but there's also a block contact in the contact settings. Not just the overall block numbers. I don't think I read that in this conversation.

@dust2dust Just checked that and it's fine. Thanks.

@esjliv wrote:

@kb_mv 

https://community.koodomobile.com/tips-tricks-troubleshooting-232914/help-apartment-buzzer-not-worki...

@esjliv The Condo dialer works as it is supposed to with both sims/numbers installed in my Pixel 5. On the other hand, both sims/numbers fail to ring through to the phone when installed in the S9 and instead go to voicemail when the call is unanswered. The call is being made from the front door panel with no issue, reaching me on my Pixel 5 but not on my S9 instead going to voicemail. This is a recent change

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@kb_mv 

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

Maybe you should contact customer support @kb_mv, which has been copied and pasted twice already.

Although, I am already pretty sure you know how to contact csa...

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

This might have already been looked at but there's also a block contact in the contact settings. Not just the overall block numbers. I don't think I read that in this conversation.

@softech It says I have Version 11.5.20.4

HI @kb_mv  is your Phone Dialer version 11.5.20.2?

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

Quick update: I tried a "soft" reset to no avail. I then tried restarting in "safe" mode which also did not fix the issue. Perhaps I'll bite the bullet and do a factory reset but I would prefer not to.

@darlicious No such luck finding this setting.

JL9
Mayor / Maire

I love The S9!!! lol

Meow
Mayor / Maire

The way you described your issue it looks like your S9 is refusing to work properly.

Are you brave enough to do factory reset? In most cases it resolves all issues unless phone is total kaput.

S9 is not that old phone and I would not discount it as of yet.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@kb_mv 

Try this if possible....

Go to settings -- cellular networks -- and UNCHECK enhanced 4G LTE mode. The phone still gives you 4G LTR but also allows you to still buzz your people in!

It's a few years old so I'm unsure which Samsung model phone the customer was using but it fixed their intercom issue.

To pre-verify your account in your private messages only include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #.

@kb_mv  S22 is sweet.. 

I guess a VoIP workaround for now.  Try a forward to VoIP and see .

@softech Nope lol. It is turned off. Plus the "Front Door" is in my contacts.

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@will13am @darlicious @softech @Yummy I just tried 3G only and it didn't make a difference. Maybe there is an S22 in my future!

@kb_mv   hey. S9 has the function "Block unknow/hidden numbers", any chance it was toggled on by accident?

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@Yummy This is a condo panel that dials the cell programmed. I don't think the issue is there as it works fine in a different model phone.

Need Help? Let's chat.