cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calling my phone number gets my voip phone ringing?!

ESS
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello everyone,

I am really not good with technology and was trying to figure out how to access my mobile phone from my landline so I wouldn't use up the minutes on my mobile. I read somewhere to dial my mobile number from my landline and then press * and the pin number. But every time I press the mobile number from my landline, the mobile rings and at the same time, it goes straight to a voip phone that I have on my ipad! I just can't figure out why, since I never programmed it (wouldn't know how) to have any connection to it! Can someone help me "disconnect" the two?

30 REPLIES 30

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@ESS    Some thoughts on your quandry:

1. Calling your cell phone from a landline is a workaround to save minutes when you want to check for voicemail minutes
  2. If you call your cell phone and it forwards to your VoIP line then your phone settings are incorrect. Go to Settings >> Phone >> Call forwarding: if the button is green click it to turn it off.
  3. If #2 shows already grey, dial #21# to turn off call forwarding by Public Mobile.

Do let us know how you make out.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@CountyDownIeUk wrote:

Any ways...sounds like a self inflicted mess...and where did the OP go???

Why do you expect OP to hang on here until he solves his issue?

People usually post question, expect answer in few minutes and then check again in few hours (if ever) if they really expect assistance from Community.

@darlicious wrote:

@CountyDownIeUk 

The voip app is on the OP's computer.

To contact customer support click below:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #.

Any ways...sounds like a self inflicted mess...and where did the OP go???

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@CountyDownIeUk 

The voip app is on the OP's computer.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #.

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

If you have a voip app on your  iPhone.....what happens if you disable it or delete it?

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Yummy 

Or you can reference @Nezgar 's posts. The post in the link I provided has been tagged by me for easy reference if that helps you in future.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Yummy : The first one supposedly clears all the conditionals. For my phone, it seemed to work but then the call forwarding seemed to be just the same. So maybe that's the same as #004# as shown in CountyDownIeUk's image from here.

The second was to set the conditionals to the carrier defaults but it would seem it's not actually necessary. See above.

The third one was to set the ring time to the maximum under the no answer conditional.

I don't know. I tried to make it easy by not getting into technical detail. Alas. Can't win for trying.

My reference for these codes has been geckobeach.com - GSM feature codes. The one image above from here is just as useful.

@darlicious wrote:

@Anonymous 

Your layman's terms and a technologically challenged persons layman's terms are too completely different things. Even with all of my new found knowledge your post was lacking in instruction.

I fully agree. Maybe these codes will brick users phone so some description will be helpful to the rest of us to understand their meaning.

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

More from me.... look at the disable column and rows.  Give it a try!!!

Screen Shot 2022-02-25 at 3.49.29 PM.png

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Anonymous 

Your layman's terms and a technologically challenged persons layman's terms are too completely different things. Even with all of my new found knowledge your post was lacking in instruction.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@darlicious wrote:

They can walk you thru the steps to reset call forwarding to the default settings as @Anonymous has somewhat explained to you but not well enough in layman's terms for you to easily understand.

@darlicious : Laymans terms? Dialer, type in codes, try number, dialer, type in other codes. Surely ESS knows how to go in to the dialer and type stuff into it.

Heck...I thought I was being too terse and not my usual verbose.

@CountyDownIeUk wrote:

If I called you right now...would BOTH your iPhone and your voip app ring?

You can PM me if you like. 😀

this is the most interesting part and I wonder about that too.  But I doubt this.  I think OP meant the Mobile rings first and then VoIP if the call not answered?

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

@ESS wrote:

Hello everyone,

I am really not good with technology and was trying to figure out how to access my mobile phone from my landline so I wouldn't use up the minutes on my mobile.

What PM plan are you on? The only thing I can think of to avoid minute usage on the $15 plan is to call from your land line to retrieve your voicemail. 

If yes for voicemail...then......

How To Access Your Voicemail From Another Phone:
  1. Call your 10-digit phone number.
  2. When you hear your voicemail greeting, press the star key (*) to interrupt it.
  3. Enter your voicemail password when prompted. <= is this the pin you are referring to?**
  4. Follow the voice prompts to listen to your messages.

** I have an iPhone with no voicemail password....it’s an option that you can take as the iPhone has a passcode to get into it. I have never tried to dial in from a different phone line.   What helps is to buy the $5 500 minutes.....or wait till PM gives them away as a freebie. 

I read somewhere to dial my mobile number from my landline and then press * and the pin number.

Does the above work?

But every time I press the mobile number from my landline, the mobile rings

Makes sense if you are making an error😀

and at the same time,it goes straight to a voip phone that I have on my

That part I don’t get.....do you have some call forwarding set up on your iPhone?

I just can't figure out why, since I never programmed it (wouldn't know how) to have any connection to it! Can someone help me "disconnect" the two?

If I called you right now...would  BOTH  your iPhone and your voip app ring?

You can PM me if you like. 😀

edit. I think you need to turn off call forwarding on your iphone. . 

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@ESS 

This link walks you thru the steps of how to both set and cancel call forwarding on an iPhone SE with a visual guide. Have a look and see if that will work for you and try it. Then try calling your pm number from your landline to see if it now rings instead of your voip app.

https://videotron.tmtx.ca/en/topic/apple_iphoneseios12/activating_and_deactivating_call_forwarding.h...

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@ESS 

That's why the community is here for you....I started out with a flip phone. "Look at me now ma....no hands!" Ok but being an Android user an iPhone user like @CountyDownIeUk would be helpful to walk you thru the steps. But if they don't show up we can muddle our way thru....I am just not that familiar with an iPhones settings that's all. The resetting of the call forwarding is the same. Let me Google the steps for an iPhone SE.

HI @ESS   the beauty of having an iPhone, they have great support from Apple Store.

Honest, I think it is just a device setting.  Maybe head to Apple store and ask their in-store tech to check for you

ESS

I got an SE iphone last year. First time with mobile -- I use it for emergencies when going out but technology is very intimidating for me and I'm still not familiar with using a cell. That's my biggest issue.

@Anonymous wrote:

@ESS :Try going in to your dialer and "dialing" ##004#. Then try your number again.
Then try *004*17785804001# (if this will show here for some stupid reason)

Then try *61*17785804001*30#

I am sure these might be very valuable steps to take but for somebody who is not to close to cell phones this might be scary.

If you could explain what each line/dial is doing, that will help.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@ESS 

Your make and model of phone would be helpful as well.

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

@ESS wrote:

@darlicious 

Okay, blame it on my ignorance, but much of what's going on here is too confusing for me. I think contacting customer support is probably the easier thing for me to do. Thank you very much!

Don't give up of community support!

If you contact PM's customer support, which is by email only, you will spend hours/days explaining what is going on with tons of emails back and forth. While here, replies and new ideas are almost instant and you will hear suggestions from very knowledgeable people.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@ESS 

Customer support cannot change the call forwarding in your device. They can walk you thru the steps to reset call forwarding to the default settings as @Anonymous has somewhat explained to you but not well enough in layman's terms for you to easily understand. I can help but I have to reread @Nezgar 's post so I fully understand to give you simple instructions.

Being technologically challenged myself the community has enabled be to get over most of the challenges that you feel you face which even learning how your call forwarding works today and fixing your issue with our help will be very empowering for you. If I can do it then you can do it too!

Give us a chance to walk you thru the steps. It will be faster than having customer support do it with you. Faster still with @Nezgar but hey some people have jobs they go to...lol....

ESS

@darlicious 

Okay, blame it on my ignorance, but much of what's going on here is too confusing for me. I think contacting customer support is probably the easier thing for me to do. Thank you very much!

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@ESS 

It sounds like somewhere along the way you accidently set one of your call forwarding options in your cellphone to your voip number. A good thing to do if you are travelling or have no 3G service but not do much in your situation. Note you can also use your voip app to call your pm number to check voicemail messages.

Call forwarding can get a little confusing but our resident expert @Nezgar  helps explain it in the following link as well as additional info in the link contained in that post. If you have a specific question you can always tag @Nezgar  who will pop in to the community to help answer t your more specific queries.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/Out-of-service-area-or-on-Airplane-mode/m...

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@ESS 

I think when you setup the VoIP number, you used your cell number to 2 step confirmation.

To keep things simple, I wouldn’t worry about it.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

@ESS wrote:

But every time I press the mobile number from my landline, the mobile rings and at the same time, it goes straight to a voip phone that I have on my ipad! 

HI @ESS 

do you mean every time you call from your landline, it first rings at your PM phone and couple rings late it goes to VoIP?

or your really meant when you call your phone form landline, BOTH PM and VoIP ring at the same time??  If so, what happens when your friends call you?  Do they ALWAYS ring on both your phone and your VoIP?

Just in case, do you want to try to disforward all according to this page:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/call-forwarding

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ESS :Try going in to your dialer and "dialing" ##004#. Then try your number again.
Then try *004*17785804001# (if this will show here for some stupid reason)

Then try *61*17785804001*30#

ESS

@Anonymous: No, not intentional. I wouldn't know how to set it to call forwarding! I try to keep my technology has simple as possible, since I don't know how to use any of these!

ESS

Voip port? I have a public mobile number -- it's what I use on my mobile. Don't know how it got connected to my voip phone -- the latter is a free app I use on my ipad. I rarely use it except for unessential long distance calls. I

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ESS : Seemed to have lost my attempt a minute ago. And again. So...it would appear your phone has call forwarding set to your voip number. Maybe that's intentional. Let us know.

Another method is to call one seven seven eight five eight zero four zero zero one (?? maybe that's the problem)  and enter your 10 digit phone number and then your PIN. If your PIN doesn't work then you can login to your self-serve page and reset the voicemail password which sets it to your 10 digit phone number.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Did you port your number to pm? VoIP ports can take a while

Need Help? Let's chat.