cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call minutes deducted even for toll free number

rahulguptabit
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi.

I have very less usage of phone so using the $15 plan but I noticed that for below toll free number (ENMAX), minutes got deducted:

rahulguptabit_0-1679010970099.png

Is it supposed to be like this?

40 REPLIES 40

pmbc
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@rahulguptabit wrote:

But this wasnt long distance

I think toll free # meant more in the time when land lines were more prevalent.  When more homes had landlines, there were toll numbers you paid for and these 1-800 numbers or toll free numbers didn't incur LD charges.

With mobile phones, even though these are toll free, it still means your carrier will count it as mins against your phone plan because you're using these mins.  It's similar to calling voicemail from your mobile phone.  You don't think it's calling 'someone' but it's using air time from the carrier so they'll reduce your mins because you're calling out from your mobile phone.

Meow
Mayor / Maire

Toll free are term from age when everybody had land line so you do not pay long distance calls calling companies.

In your case you are using PM minutes so that has nothing to do with with 'toll free' calls.

rahulguptabit

But this wasnt long distance

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

310 numbers are not technically toll free via the toll free system.

Toll free numbers like 800 etc will not use your minutes.

I called that pizza shed and it took a minute out of my allotment.

@rahulguptabit 

toll free number...but you're consuming your PM minutes to call it.

You could consider getting the PM 500 Minutes of Canada wide calling add-on for $5. If you use up your regular plan minutes, those add-on minutes take over until next renewal.

@rahulguptabit 

Toll-free just means that if one were to have to pay for long-distance calling, (i.e. like many landline customers still do... and maybe some mobile subscribers)  that they would not have to when calling these numbers.

It has no bearing on outgoing calling minute allotments.

I do understand how one might believe it might.

rahulguptabit

but why if its toll free

rahulguptabit

But this doesnt makes sense.

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@rahulguptabit  yes that is normal 

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@rahulguptabit 

800 numbers are deducted from your 100 minutes.

added;

I stand corrected...

I tried calling several toll free numbers across Canada and found those numbers didn't count against my 100 minutes. I random called several auto dealers in Ont, Alberta and a motel chain in BC using their 800, 866 numbers.

It appears that calling toll free numbers do not count against limited calling minutes, after all.

Need Help? Let's chat.