cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call forward to a US number

micagagne
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Can I forward my number to a US number if I have international minutes on my account? I plan on getting a 5 days sim card for the US and I would like to forward my calls to it.

15 REPLIES 15

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

I can confirm the forward to US number won't work. Tested it out for my uncle not long ago.  He is enjoying the warm weather there.  He has another number , forwarded but didn't work

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@micagagne 

Do you have an e-sim capable phone? If so there are cheaper options that are more convenient than a traditional Sim card. Or give mint mobile's free trial a go.....

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/mint-mobile-free-usa-10gb-data-text-calls-service-30-days-esim-avail...

Public mobiles only issue is voice calls relying on T-Mobile's 2G network until VoLTE is implemented. Texting and data uses their 4G LTE network which is reliable as any other network provider in the US.

@darlicious- I just tried forwarding to a toll free claims number for Geico US and it was accessible for dialing. Forwarding got me a busy signal. Dialing got an answer.

I tried forwarding to a restaurant in Boise ID. Busy. I didn't bother dialing.

I forwarded to ICBC toll free that also got me a busy signal.

It would seem we can't forward to any toll free.

I would wonder too. So those with that plan can try it too so we can put that to rest.

I have all the same minutes.

@micagagne, @HALIMACS 

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

@micagagne wrote:

Can I forward my number to a US number if I have international minutes on my account? I plan on getting a 5 days sim card for the US and I would like to forward my calls to it.

Since you cannot call forward to a number outside of Canada, I recommend one of two options:

• Sign up for a free TextNow VoIP app, which will give you a new Canadian phone number, to which you can forward your number to while you are away - though for the forwarding to continue to work while you are in the USA, you must ensure you never let your Public Mobile SIM register to a USA tower - I recommend removing the Public Mobile SIM before you cross the border. Now as long as your phone has Wi-Fi or mobile data connectivity to the Internet, the forwarded calls to your Public Mobile number will ring on your TextNow app.
    ..or:
  • Modify your voicemail greeting suggesting an alternate US number for callers to reach you at, or even potentially the TextNow number as well.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@micagagne 

You can only forward to US toll free numbers accessible to Canadian callers as confirmed by @Nezgar .

@dust2dust 

I do wonder if the $60 Canada/US plan can call forward to a US phone #?

micagagne

Thanks.

It is something that PM should look into as roaming and call are not as good from what I read in the community.  On Amazon, a 6 days sim with unlimited call/text to the US/Canada/Mexico, unlimited data in th US and 5Gb in Canadaand Mexico for under $30.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

Let us know what you find out please @micagagne 

Though I suspect from a little reading of past threads, @computergeek541 & @dust2dust  are likely correct.

🤷🏻‍♂️

Give it a try. I would be very surprised.

Set the call forwarding (either all or unanswered) to something like a US hotel (adding - not toll free) or something. From another phone, call your number. See what happens.

@micagagne wrote:

2023-02-07 13_02_48-Public Mobile - My Account.png

 I have plenty of Int'l minutes, so I hope this will work.

Sorry, but it won't work. The answer given earlier saying that calls cannot be forwarded to U.S. numbers is correct.

micagagne

2023-02-07 13_02_48-Public Mobile - My Account.png

 I have plenty of Int'l minutes, so I hope this will work.

@HALIMACS wrote:

Hold it - you can’t?

I’m not sure I understand why it wouldn’t work with the proper long distance add on?

I will admit, I’ve never tried it – but I have forwarded to Canadian numbers a couple of times and it works very well.

Call forwarding isn't treated the same as a incoming (or outgoing phone calls). At other carriers, some in the past have had seperate pools of call fowarding minutes.

@HALIMACS- I'm sure you have all the freebies from over the years...try it. Maybe I'm wrong.

Hold it - you can’t?

I’m not sure I understand why it wouldn’t work with the proper long distance add on?

I will admit, I’ve never tried it – but I have forwarded to Canadian numbers a couple of times and it works very well.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

No, you can't. We can only forward to Canadian numbers. You could get a voip app and get a Canadian number and forward to that. Don't let the sim see a US tower though or the forwarding will break.

The roaming add-ons from here may work for you. Data and text should work fine but yes talk is problematic.

@HALIMACS- ???

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

Yes, as long as you have a US long distance calling add on in effect and included with the international one you mentioned, @micagagne 

EDIT:  the above information may be IS incorrect – stay tuned, or try it, and let us know if you can get it to work!

As others have stated, doesn't work.   

Bummer.

Need Help? Let's chat.