cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buying a new cell phone

Jean13
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I want to buy a pre-owned cell phone from the store. I have in the past gone to a store and they have set up everything. 

I am not sure how to set up if I buy from the online store. 

19 REPLIES 19

Any Black Friday deals at Best Buy?

Think new. 

@Meow wrote:

@Jean13 wrote:

I have an old LG android phone and looking at the deal in the store for the samsung 13

Since both are Android it is just matter of removing SIM from one phone and plugging it in into another.

And that moves/copies  all files and apps to new phone?

Metal1967
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Jean13  Be sure to use your email address and not just your username like the community requests

The Shop is a whole other semi-account. It is not the account login nor the community login. You could even purchase as a guest. Be sure to use the same email address as you have on your account (not community-although they may very well be the same).

Jean13

Thank you,  I will look into these switch systems!

Jean13

I am trying to buy the samsung A13 from the PM store but when I go to sign into my account it says invalid password or email. But when I go to sign in I go right into my account. 

Not sure what to do?

Moving the sim over does nothing to files. You would need to use a device switch system to bring files and such over. Or use an intermediate device like a normal computer to store things and then transfer things. Or use a cloud service. Samsung has a good switch system but I don't know if it works with another manufacturer.

GR
Mayor / Maire

@Jean13 samsung has "smart switch" app which works great for switching from one android to another.  Just make sure both phones have the app and then follow the steps to transfer everything you want from your old phone to the new phone!  Good luck 

Jean13

Thank you!

Jean13

Yes I think I would like to get this one from the  PM store!

Meow
Mayor / Maire

@Jean13 wrote:

I have an old LG android phone and looking at the deal in the store for the samsung 13

Since both are Android it is just matter of removing SIM from one phone and plugging it in into another.

@Jean13 

are you buying the Samsung A13 from PM, it's decent entry level phone

Samsung has phone migration software and it helps

Jean13

Jean13

Yes I do have a working account. Have been with them for over a year now. Just different doing this online now!

Jean13

I have an old LG android and was looking at the deal in the store for the samsung 13.

When I switch the sim card do all my files go over to the new phone?

Thank you for this information

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @Jean13   make sure you don't buy phones from those marketplaces, some of them are not reliable

For setting up new phone, usually it is easy. Backup your stuff to cloud first, pop the sim card onto new phone.  Many new phone come with phone switch software, just connect the cable (or use cloud) to migrate the phone data from old to new.  

if you find it confusing, get a friend to help  🙂

Or if you buy a phone from physical stores, many will help with that

Metal1967
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Jean13  Once you are ready for setting up, come back here lots of help is waiting .. do you already have a working pm account and sim?

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

What kind do you want to buy?

What kind do you have now?

GR
Mayor / Maire

@Jean13 for the most part it's just switching the Sim card from your old phone to the new one!  What kind of phone do you have and what kind do you plan on getting? 

Need Help? Let's chat.