cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Browser crashed after selecting number activation step, now saying brand new SIM invalid

tpet123
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Obviously my brand new SIM isn't invalid. I'm not buying yet another one (this is the 3rd after one successful and one that was also purchased new from London Drugs and never worked and I got no help from Public other than told to eat the cost and buy another). This is beyond frustrating. The SIM wasn't activated - there's no information, I have no account (I checked), the phone number I'd selected (but not moved past that screen before browser crash) is still available... How do I and how long before I can actually set up my service with my legitimately purchased brand new SIM?

5 REPLIES 5

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

Hello @tpet123 ,

Sorry to hear of this frustrating experience. 

When you do try the activate again, first clear your browser's cache, then open a tab in incognito mode. Things tend to run smoother this way.

I hope all goes well and you get activated soon.

As for your experience with past SIM(s). Are you sure the previous one does not work? Do you still have it? Maybe it is still okay to use...always nice to have a spare SIM around!

Maybe let the moderators know of your experience, and have them check the SIM number that you could not activate previously. See @HALIMACS post with the ways to contact them.

mm80
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@tpet123 wrote:

Obviously my brand new SIM isn't invalid. I'm not buying yet another one (this is the 3rd after one successful and one that was also purchased new from London Drugs and never worked and I got no help from Public other than told to eat the cost and buy another). This is beyond frustrating. The SIM wasn't activated - there's no information, I have no account (I checked), the phone number I'd selected (but not moved past that screen before browser crash) is still available... How do I and how long before I can actually set up my service with my legitimately purchased brand new SIM?

The activation page says to wait 50 minutes but it works before that. Wait 50 minutes so you don't waste time trying until it's ready to let you start again. 

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

Hi @tpet123 

If you're porting a number from another provider to Public Mobile, try calling the Public Mobile porting team at ***

If you require Moderator assistance, there are 2 methods to contact them:

1. Use the ticketing system for a faster response time. Click on the chat bubble in the lower right and type moderator assistance, then select account-related issue, then select you need a human now.  Follow the prompts to submit a ticket,  or, 
  2. Send a private message to the moderator by clicking here

Watch for their response in your Community private mailbox which will be indicated by a number on the small envelope icon to the left of your Community avatar.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

.. one more thing.

if you try again and still fail.. do not buy another SIM

head down to a walmart store... they will give you sim for free and help activation.  

Personal experience.. the browser failed to return success.. they thought the sim has issue, they try a 2nd activation with a different SIM (of course free).. turn out still fail.. they called a PM line for me and they sorted it out (turn out the first SIM was in fact activated and just the web server failed to return a success message)..  so, it's good to go to a Walmart store and have them to deal with that issue for you

(i think London Drug offers the same service .. )

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

SIM will lock itself for 60 or 90 mins after a failed activation.. you can wait that period of time and try again

Also, contact Public Mobile to confirm if it has indeed activated..  It happened to me, the browser said failed.. turn out the back end already activated.. just the web server not returning the success message

Online Activation Assistance
https://chat.telus.com/chat/publicmobile/chat-pm.html?portal=publicmobile&language=en

Need Help? Let's chat.