cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Better speeds / signal strenght on 3G vs LTE on my iphones (XS max / XR)?

beleaf67
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I live in Barrhaven (K2J) / Ottawa area with very poor Cellular coverage (Telus/Bell/Rogers).   I always thought LTE is the way to go.   I guess I stay on 3G network.   I get 3/4 signal strength bars vs 1/2 on LTE, with lower speeds.

public.jpg

14 REPLIES 14

beleaf67

TextNow has it greyed out.  I will try Fongo 🙂  Thanks

@beleaf67   You meant you cannot forward your PM number to TextNow?    It is only a PAID feature if you are forwarding your TextNow to another number.  But if you want to forward when unavailable your PM number to TextNow, it is free.  To TextNow, it is just a normal incoming calls, it wouldn't know the call was forwarded from another number to TextNow

You can also try to use Fongo ,  it is free

beleaf67

Thank you 🙂   3G offers better speeds, however I lose signal in the basement.  So I'm back on LTE. (one bar).  I tried TextNow, but the forward your phone is unfortunately premium paid feature 😞   If anyone know a free VoIP app that does it, please let me know.

@beleaf67 wrote:

@softechI'm still wondering why 3G setting gives me stronger signal in my house.  However in the basement I lose 3G, with LTE at least I have one bar.    I understand on 3G I might get faster for internet, because on LTE 3G is throttled to 3mbs.  

@beleaf67   Cannot tell for sure unless you install app and confirm which bands you are using on 3G and LTE

You could have connected to a different bands in the two networks, the frequency of those bands could be the reason (the bands it picked could also be because of the device)   Bands on  high frequency don't propagate far in open air and don't penetrate object as good

Hey I forgot if I suggested that.  Get a VoIP app like TextNow.  Then forward your phone with "Forward when unavailable" to the VoIP number.  Then when you are home with Wifi, even you missed the call due to poor signal, it will go to the VoIP app and it will ring

Anonymous
Not applicable

@beleaf67 : Signal strength plays in to it. Most phones likely sit idle on LTE. So the look of the bars will show that. I sit idle at around 2 bars in the location I'm writing this. Now make a call. The bars _should_ go up. Mine goes up to full bars. If I set the phone to 3G only then I get full bars.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@beleaf67 

Many factors go into the strength of the signal you will recieve inside your home and from what network. Distance from the tower, topography, the azimuth of the signal, the bands you are connecting to, the different construction materials used in your home or the buildings between you and the tower and the frequencies your phone uses. This helps explain the different bands and networks and how it may affect your signal strength and unthrottled data speeds latency notwithstanding.

Screenshot_20220119-122201~2.png

beleaf67

@softechI'm still wondering why 3G setting gives me stronger signal in my house.  However in the basement I lose 3G, with LTE at least I have one bar.    I understand on 3G I might get faster for internet, because on LTE 3G is throttled to 3mbs.  

@beleaf67 wrote:

Question: If I switched to Koodo LTE or Telus, would I actually get better LTE signal strength?   I'm sure Telus prioritizes its kids, based on carrier you are with.   Teluse > Koodo > PM.

@beleaf67 

NO.  Telus is a good parent,  It treats all the kids the same.   Telus, Koodo and PM are all  the same in terms of signal.  There is NO signal  priority .

The main advantage you join Telus or Koodo would only be VoLTE for compatible phones.  PM uses 3G only for voice but Telus and Koodo could use LTE to deliver voice calls, but only on compatible phones

Other advantage would be Wifi calling and Live person support

But if you leave PM, there is a major disadvantage.. We won't be able to help you out in this PM Community.  you will have to move to Koodo Community or Telus Neighborhood.  I am not sure if people there are as nice as us   🙂

beleaf67

Thank you for your suggestions.   I've been with PM for 3-4 years now (4 lines).    Its been always flaky in Barrhaven area.   I will try using 3G for now and see how things go.    I don't care about synthetic test results or "it should be solid" on paper comments.   I will test using 3G when I'm actually in the problematic areas in real life.   

Question: If I switched to Koodo LTE or Telus, would I actually get better LTE signal strength?   I'm sure Telus prioritizes its kids, based on carrier you are with.   Teluse > Koodo > PM.

@softech wrote:

@beleaf67  With PM, the plan is slightly cheaper so it LTE speed is capped at 3Mpbs.  So, you are getting the correct speed on LTE

with 3G, you can in fact go up to as high as 12Mbps.  BUT.. 3G has a higher latency.  So, there are  pros and cons

The HSPA network is capable of much faster than 12Mbps.  I've been as high as 35Mbps and in theory, it can go to about 42.2 in areas that are DC-HSPA enabled.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@beleaf67 

Barrhaven has excellent coverage according to the map with 5 telus towers. Maybe he construction materials of where you live are impeding your signal otherwise coverage has nothing to do with data speeds. I used to live there but long before cellphones became common place.

LeePublic
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

It's interesting cause on my previous provider, (Lucky Mobile) the speed was always 3 Mbps no matter if it was on LTE or 3G HSPA. I always have it on LTE for the latency and I don't see much difference except when downloading apps when you're out and about. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@beleaf67 

Plans with 3G data may reach download speeds of up to 3 Mbps, with the coverage and reliability of the LTE network. Speed and signal strength may vary with your device, configuration, Internet traffic, environmental conditions, applicable network management and other factors.

you can try reseat the SIM card and Make sure your phone is off before removing your SIM card,

1. power off your device

2. take out the SIM card,

3. waiting a 1 minute,

4. put it back and power on,

5. toggling airplane mode off/on,  

and you can try to reset network settings and Changing APN Settings,
for iphone

Go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings.

This also resets Wi-Fi networks and passwords,

or visit  Here link, 

APN Settings On An IPhone click Here link, 

Ensure you have the correct APN settings by visit Here link,

Select the brand and model of your phone,

and try manually selecting network "3G ONLY"

and do Rebooting your phone ,This is quick and simple,to refreshing your network,

*what is meant by rebooting the device turn off and turn it back on.

tror iPhone visit Here link 

or Here link y to check update your device,

visit to Coverage Map Here .

or Here, check it out is enough Towers in your area...public mobile use network from (Telus/Bell)

edited by an oracle:  The information that has a strikethrough mark over it isn't related to the dicussion in this message thread.  APN settings do not control the speed. Also, the customer isn't asking how to change or if to change to "3g only" but asking about why setting to the HSPA network sometimes works faster.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@beleaf67  With PM, the plan is slightly cheaper so it LTE speed is capped at 3Mpbs.  So, you are getting the correct speed on LTE

with 3G, you can in fact go up to as high as 12Mbps.  BUT.. 3G has a higher latency.  So, there are  pros and cons

Need Help? Let's chat.