cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best way to help other customers

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

When customers seek help in the forums, the helpers tag a moderator in the thread, provide assistance on contacting a moderator, or both.  I am thinking the tagging method is inefficient and the practice should be changed.   Invariably, private messaging is needed to exchange private information with the moderators.  Even when they read the thread, the customers are always asked to use private messaging.  So why not just encourage use of private messaging only.  Thoughts?

12 REPLIES 12

will13am
Oracle
Oracle
I put in a labs suggestion that will hopefully better clarify those situations that require use of private messaging. This should help to speed up the resolution process.

Mystery
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen
Thanks. That would have helped if only I could see a Send PM button after the Date Last Visited-- I have no such button on my mobile site.

I don't want to continue hijacking the post, on why I can't contact the mod via their profile, but clearly even the option to PM--my preferred method--has its downfalls. The tagging option hasn't worked for me yet.

SD08
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Mystery wrote:
Thanks, but saw that link. I will attach the screen shot of Shazia's profile as I see it on my phone, and I don't see a link to PM her....My screen doesn't look yours, with the Contact Me section. How to attach a pic?

@Mystery

My snapshot is from the desktop version.  In the mobile version, the "Send this user a private message" link is in the "Contact Me" section, not next to the mod's profile pic but way down lower, just above their "Photos" section.  If you have a smallish phone, you'll have to scroll quite a bit.

Mystery
Thanks, but saw that link. I will attach the screen shot of Shazia's profile as I see it on my phone, and I don't see a link to PM her....My screen doesn't look yours, with the Contact Me section. How to attach a pic?

SD08

@Mystery wrote:
For whatever reason, sending a PM to the mods requires me to memorize their handles (which I can't...always get their last initial mixed up), and simply looking up their profile doesnt show me an option to PM them that way. The whole tagging thing seems inefficient too, since I tagged two mods last weekend and still no reply (Mary and Shafia). I tagged them again and we'll see what happens.

The list of moderators and their proper handles are here:

http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/Contacting-our-Community-Moderators/ta-...

When you look at their profiles, the link to send them a private message is here:

PublicMobile_SendPrivateMessage.jpg

Tagging multiple moderators at the same time has no more effect than tagging just one, since the tags go into a pool where all of them can see it.  Same thing with private messages.  Could just be bad luck that they missed your tag last time.

Mystery
For whatever reason, sending a PM to the mods requires me to memorize their handles (which I can't...always get their last initial mixed up), and simply looking up their profile doesnt show me an option to PM them that way. The whole tagging thing seems inefficient too, since I tagged two mods last weekend and still no reply (Mary and Shafia). I tagged them again and we'll see what happens.

SD08

While it's true that moderator assistance will ultimately be conducted by private message, there can be benefit to tagging a moderator in a thread. When the customer with the issue is offline at the time the forum members reply, tagging the mod will give them a heads up on the problem, and they will often proactively reach out to the customer as we've seen them do. When the moderator is already apprised of the situation, it makes it that much faster to remedy when they finally get the requuired personal information from the customer.  Besides, as others have mentioned, the moderators seem to be fine with it, or the "Contacting Moderators" article wouldn't be suggesting tagging as a method.

@ASharpTM wrote:

Yeah, I always found it a bit silly that a boat load of threads asking for help are just followed up with replies telling them to PM a mod.

This process seems pretty inefficient if this just ends up happening in every thread. As @Watoko mentioned though, if the mods don't find it an issue and can handle it then so be it I guess.

This is why I propose to help streamline the process.  In all cases, the moderators will require communication via private message for situations requiring their support.  If a customer does not know how to send a private message, it will be trial by fire the first time.  I am putting this suggestion on the table for opinions and consensus.  In the ideal world, 100% of the cases that actually require moderator help would be dealt with by private message and the forum would deal only with cases where the community can provide support.  I know this is the ideal, but I see too many ranting customers losing it in the forums only to be told we will tag a moderator for you.  The inefficiencies merely fuel the angst. 

ASharpTM

Yeah, I always found it a bit silly that a boat load of threads asking for help are just followed up with replies telling them to PM a mod.

This process seems pretty inefficient if this just ends up happening in every thread. As @Watoko mentioned though, if the mods don't find it an issue and can handle it then so be it I guess.

Watoko
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I agree with you, and from the front end it seems a little bit messy; someone could send a PM and tag causing a myrad of notifications.

I'm not sure what it actually looks like, but if the mods are not finding it a problem, then maybe the system works already 😛

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

Even with that information some members still won't/can't figure out how to private message.  Atleast by tagging a mod it grabs attention and you can ensure contact has been established between member and a mod

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

Sometimes if their self-serve email is linked, mods can look up their account using the email. They tend to tag mods when they already know what to do. If there is any solution from previous case, i would try to help and rest leave it on the mod to fix as there isn't anything else we can do. 

Need Help? Let's chat.