cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Before switching to PM SIM card, do I need to backup anything

Tighe
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Is there anything I need to do before switching out my SIM card so I don’t lose any information from my phone? Sounds like I should just import my contacts to my phone and should be good but wanted to make sure I’m not missing something. 
Thanks

7 REPLIES 7

Sofiaelisabeth
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Depending on the phone you have can vary whether or not you have to. Apple phones should be good whether backed up through iCloud or not, certain Samsung phones the backup is connected to the SIM card.

adastorm
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

If you are using an iPhone, your contacts can be stored in the iCloud so that they are synced across all your devices in the ecosystem. If this is the case, you should be fine switching out your SIM.

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@Tighe get a Google account and attach it to your phone. You get 15 free gigs. Use it to back up your phone. Then whenever you get a new phone, switch your Google account over. Welcome to PM. Stay safe. 

I'd recommend backing up your important contacts, notes, photos, and messages anyhow.

If the only copy you have of these things is on your phone right now then what's your plan for the day your phone gets broken or lost or stolen or simply dies of old age?

@Tighe wrote:

Is there anything I need to do before switching out my SIM card so I don’t lose any information from my phone? Sounds like I should just import my contacts to my phone and should be good but wanted to make sure I’m not missing something. 
Thanks

It wouldn't be bad idea to backup your contacts, and user content (such a pictures) before inserting your Public Mobile sim card. Although this is not supposed to happen, Samsung phones are noctorious for peforming a factory reset without warning after switching sim cards. 

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

Whatever sim you have in your phone now. You can make sure the contacts are saved to the phone and not the sim card. Then just put the new sim from PM in.

Are you just activating with PM? Don't forget to use a referral code for a $10 signup bonus if you are.

brettster99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Tighe 

Are you keeping your #? Or getting a new one?

If you are porting over and keeping the # you have you should be all good. If you are getting a new # I believe just to be sure to back your contacts up. It shouldn’t affect that at all but better safe then sorry 

Need Help? Let's chat.