cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Be careful of this scam

tehowennathe
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Got this text saying "Hi Brett, we notice some unusual activity on your Facebook account, please verify by replying with a capital YES in order not to get kicked out of your account." Number was from a Pittsburgh number. I blocked them right away and reported their number. If you get a text like that please block and report it. 

11 REPLIES 11

MrElbe
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Usually the phone numbers displayed by the SPAM messages are as phoney as the spam message itself.

@Ed404 wrote:

I'd use the report as spam button instead of just deleting it. I'm not sure it does anything, anyone know what that actually does?

On Android, "Block & report spam" says "The spammer's number and recent texts go to Google and may go to your operator (charges may apply). Learn more: https://support.google.com/messages/answer/9061432?hl=en

for iPhone, it appears there is no native spam blocking function from apple, unless you install a 3rd party app that can check it's own databases: https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT207099

Reporting it to Google depends on how much you trust google, but when it comes to 3rd party apps, I'm out for sure...

Ed404
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Nezgar wrote:

Best action for any spam text is simply delete and move on.

I'd use the report as spam button instead of just deleting it. I'm not sure it does anything, anyone know what that actually does?

Receiving a spam text that is trying to spoof facebook, has nothing actually to do with facebook. And recommending not setting up your phone number with facebook will have absolutely no effect on preventing a random spammer from sending you texts about facebook.

Best action for any spam text is simply delete and move on.

@Ed404 wrote:

@NDesai wrote:

Uhm, never got a spam text before. For calls, i love the Google Call Screen feature to mess around.

Is that only for Pixel phones right now?

I get it running AOSP with google dialer.  BTW, never ever give your phone number to Facebook.  

iPhoneUser

@tehowennathe wrote:

Got this text saying "Hi Brett, we notice some unusual activity on your Facebook account, please verify by replying with a capital YES in order not to get kicked out of your account." Number was from a Pittsburgh number. I blocked them right away and reported their number. If you get a text like that please block and report it. 

Easy resolution.......cancel Facebook......block caller. 

Ed404

@NDesai wrote:

Yes, Pixel exclusive.

I remember seeing something in an article about Google Call Screen coming to other Android in a couple of years. Hopefully it will be shared eventually, by then there will be a new Pixel exclusive feature and so the cycle continues.

@Ed404 wrote:

@NDesai wrote:

Uhm, never got a spam text before. For calls, i love the Google Call Screen feature to mess around.

Yes, Pixel exclusive.

tehowennathe

It's just weird to get something like that

Ed404

@NDesai wrote:

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

Need Help? Let's chat.