cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Atleast 3 spam calls every single day.

G00ber
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Ever since i switched from fido to public mobile im getting bombarded with spam calls multiple times every single day different numbers each time, and they all leave voice messages so my inbox is always filled.

And now i find out that public mobile make no effort whatsoever to provide support to their users.

Is there a way to fix this? If not im 100% leaving public mobile because this is ridiculously bad.

15 REPLIES 15

dent007
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

IF you want to keep the phone number you have and you want to stop junk calls/voicemail here are 2 suggestions:

1) set your phone to only accept calls that are in your contact list. (drastic)

2)THIS works great and is easy to do....Set up your voicemail to say " hello this is a recording, wait for the beep".........10/15 second silence................. beeeep. Play around with the length of silence. What happens is the spammers connect and only hear silence, then they hangup before your voicemail kicks in.

pepsi
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I recommend if this might not be a issue for u to change your phone number with a new one. This gives you a fresh phone number which stops spams knowing your new number. Sorry for bad english am learning english.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@G00ber 

no one can stop spam calls just ignore and delete and block...

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

@G00ber wrote:

Ever since i switched from fido to public mobile im getting bombarded with spam calls multiple times every single day different numbers each time, and they all leave voice messages so my inbox is always filled.

Public Mobile, being Telus' value brand, doesn't offer "call control" -- one of the most effective tools against junk calls like this where unknown callers are presented with a prompt to dial a specific random number before the call actually rings through to your phone.

Even if it was the same caller ID, blocking those calls merely forwards them to your voicemail immediately, making it even more likely for them to leave you a junk voicemail that you have to go and delete later.

A couple options in varying degrees of "effort" ... 🙂 One is to set your conditional call forward for blocked/busy to Lenny the bot as previously mentioned...  Then any calls from numbers that you explicitly add do your blocklist or manually decline as you see them ringing are diverted there instead of your voicemail. To do this, dial *67*2264447726#. Undo it with ##67# to have those calls go back to reaching your voicemail.

Option 2 is to set your blocked/busy conditional call forward to a dead end - ie *67*0000000000# which will cause the caller to receive some kind of call failure such as endless ringing, or fast busy. This has the possibility of flagging your number as invalid or not in service in the spammers database...

Option 3 is to switch your voicemail service to Youmail.com, so voicemail from junk calls are automatically blocked, and since their service emails you the messages there is basically no storage limit. Install their app and you may also benefit from automatic call blocking of spam calls from crowd-sourced data, which may or may not help.

Good luck!

G00ber
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

No i ported over my old phone number. I only ever give it out when completely necessary. Which is strange because i feel like i didnt get nearly as many spam calls before switching to public mobile. But it may just be the fact that since switching to public mobile, 100% of the spam calls i get leave blank messages make it much more annoying.

@G00ber wrote:

No i ported over my old phone number. I only ever give it out when completely necessary. Which is strange because i feel like i didnt get nearly as many spam calls before switching to public mobile. But it may just be the fact that since switching to public mobile, 100% of the spam calls i get leave blank messages make it much more annoying.

Hopefully it dies down after a while. Consider my previous suggestions of diverting junk calls away from voicemail, and you can also look into using a 3rd party voicemail service such as the free service from youmail.com - then your voicemails just come as an email with a sound file attachment and a text transcription, so junk voicemails become just a simple delete instead of having to dialin to listen and delete them. (and if you are on the $15 plan, you then don't need to use any of your 100 outgoing minutes to do so).