cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aptitude Q&A for prospective customers

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

Does anyone know if Public Mobile has ever utilized an aptitude test type of questionnaire for people considering moving from a full-service mobile service provider to here? (edit - strikeout word 'test' to avoid possible misinterpretation... 😉)

Something like a brief questionnaire titled, "Is Public Mobile right for me?" where users might answer several questions towards a suitability type of rating.   I realize it wouldn't be a perfect tool, however, if designed properly, it might be a great way to educate those jumping here who have done little to no research about this place.

Having only been around here for a couple years, I was hoping the long-timers (5+ years and holding) might weigh in as to whether this has ever been offered.

8 REPLIES 8

and to be honest, I think they need a real, (an actual useful) activation support/chat

yes, there is the activation chat (but is that is still working?) but all the chat end goal is the direct the question to Community.  I tested it before, it is pretty much useless.  They need an actual activation chat that will work with the potential customers is the way to go.  Any time people get an error 821 or other error, they should be able to check on the back end and tells why activation failed, and work through the process to complete the activation.  If people cannot activate, they cannot pay, PM should invest more into this

@softech none of this recommendation is about being discriminatory.

The aptitude thingy I'm talking about is intended to be educational and informative.

It's meant to help folks decide if they are a fit for public mobile.

Nothing more, nothing less.

Of course they're free to join anyway, it's just if they do and every little tiny item that needs online intervention causes grave concern and stress for them, then maybe it wasn't the right choice in the first place. 

Of course for those of us helping to manage either children's or elderly relative accounts, they are here because we help them along. And that's totally fine.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@HALIMACS 

i guess businesses are all  greedy, they always want to get the accounts first and deal with the trouble later.  You might think they can "detour" some "traffic" to Koodo or Telus, but sometimes, it is easier said than done.  The result of the test might end up losing the accounts to competitors.  And the head of PM wants the account here, not Koodo or Telus (even though it is one big family).  He/she got the bonus based on the number of accounts here, not Koodo's or Telus'.  So obviously for PM: Everyone is Welcome and More is More  🙂

And, while we probably all agree that PM only suitable for people who are more tech savvy.  But it can also be a topic of discrimination if not handle carefully. 

DDM69
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I believe this is an excellent idea for many reasons. 
Many new customers seem unaware of what they are signing up for. A certain percentage are not capable of searching the website for information and answers to basic questions. 
Too many don’t keep records of PIN, email or login information. 
If registration was even more clear, there may be fewer complaints and oblivious customer expectations. 
They should have to agree to the terms before becoming a new customer. 

@HALIMACS    Somehow I doubt something equivalent would ever have been in place in the past but do agree with your point about the need for something more as an educational tool for prospective customers might be very useful although no matter how prepared someone might think they are, it's always the firsthand experience which is probably the most useful learning tool, IMO.

@dabr wrote:

@HALIMACS   Hmm...not sure I'd agree with the need to have an aptitude test for potential new customers  because even old dogs can always learn no tricks as long as they have a little patience.   I know I thought I had done enough research (reading) before I joined PM but obviously not as I didn't bother to open the community account until much later and ended up with porting problem which luckily for me was handled by Koodo tech (my prior carrier) very quickly as I activated on my last paid day of Koodo prepaid service.

However,  I do think PM has not clearly communicated the need for having to activate two accounts (self serve and community) and how each one functions along with not giving priority to fixing the autopay failure (to mention just one important problem) even after all this time and creating needless frustration for too many customers.

:smiling_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Also, luckily, I've not had many other problems since then and now I'm looking forward to maxing out my loyalty rewards in a few short months. 😊

@dabr    Certainly not suggesting a "need to have" so not agreeing on that isn't what I was asking  (i figured the phrase "aptitude test" might be perceived a certain way by some).   

I was just throwing it out there.   

Of course it would never be a mandatory pass/fail thing - moreso an educational tool so folks know what they're getting, and what they're not.

Was just wondering if PM had ever had such a tool for prospective customers who are unsure whether it's a 'fit' for them.

Curious if any of the long-time members may recall if such a tool was ever in place around here.

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@HALIMACS   Hmm...not sure I'd agree with the need to have an aptitude test for potential new customers  because even old dogs can always learn no tricks as long as they have a little patience.   I know I thought I had done enough research (reading) before I joined PM but obviously not as I didn't bother to open the community account until much later and ended up with porting problem which luckily for me was handled by Koodo tech (my prior carrier) very quickly as I activated on my last paid day of Koodo prepaid service.

However,  I do think PM has not clearly communicated the need for having to activate two accounts (self serve and community) and how each one functions along with not giving priority to fixing the autopay failure (to mention just one important problem) even after all this time and creating needless frustration for too many customers.

Also, luckily, I've not had many other problems since then and now I'm looking forward to maxing out my loyalty rewards in a few short months. 😊

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@HALIMACS 

great thought !

I've been a PM'er since '17 and an aptitude test questionnaire has never been part of the "pre-activation" process that I'm aware of.

I think most perspective customers only look at monthly cost and options...no thought about what a DIY philosophy really means to them.

Some of the chronic problems are brought on by PM itself. There's no reason that Autopay should be anything but reliable. That's been a problem for as long as I've been here.

Poor communication during the occasional PM website upset is another problem. Not much thought is put into answering customer concerns sometimes.

These types of issues breed frustration if you're not computer literate or have access to someone who is.

Otherwise...I'm still here enjoying not paying hundreds to the big guys.

sp

Need Help? Let's chat.