cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone notice that MMS texting is NOT unlimited?

pm-smayer97
Mayor / Maire

Turns out that if you have a base plan with limited texting (SMS), like the $13 50/50 plan, as long as you do not run out of base text messages (e.g. 50), you can have unlimited MMS.

BUT if you run out of base text messages, you also lose the ability to send or receive MMS. 

SO... protect those base text messages to not lose unlimited MMS.

22 REPLIES 22

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@pm-smayer97 

They started testing it back in June I think....I was surprised to get selected as the issue if I recall was about my community reward. Certainly nothing urgent. I don't remember getting a special code just a couple text messages on phone that barely gets used other than act as my mp3 player.

image.jpg

HI @pm-smayer97 

no sure, I guess this is a something Oracle can help to clear up

I think it is more if they have the 'manpower' to deal with live chat

I think it has only been in the "testing phase", I am not sure if this done pilot yet

So for what situation is this used?

Hi @pm-smayer97 

it has been for couple months

I think it is for "special occasion" only, not all case.  Also, the live does not start right a way, right? you need to wait for them to message you the link and the link will expire.  So, you have to keep checking the inbox for the invite

Let me/us know. 

BTW,..."I was selected for live text support"... is this a new feature they are experimenting with or was this a special occasion?

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@pm-smayer97 

I've never run out because I mostly text from my $15 plan but I suppose I can try over the next few days to run out before renewal. All my texting only used one SMS so I'm up to 4/50.

I did notice back in August when I was selected for live text support that they were being metered as minutes on my plan. At the time I was out and I sent them a text that I was on a limited usage plan and I would just deal with the issue when I was back online.

Thanks @darlicious . What about the unlimited MMS? Still working for you if you run out of the base 50 texts?

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Yup. Interesting change (as I was recently informed) about not recording MMS in the details (although I don't know how long it should take to appear in the details). Out of texts on my unlucky $13 plan...MMS went out fine.

As an aside...the promo plan reply did in fact end up eventually putting in the scheduled plan change. I removed it. I would have glanced at the account before the renewal tonight but phew...I noticed it and removed it. So good on the company for making the reply work like they did the freebies. But it didn't work on the first try of that promo.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@pm-smayer97 

Tested. MMS are not recorded incoming or outgoing only SMS. This explains a lot....on a non-metered account I manage!  But was tested with my unlucky $13.

pm-smayer97
Mayor / Maire

There appears to be a recent development. Where for a long while, if you ran out of your base text messages, you would lose access to MMS messages too, it seems that now has changed once again, for the better, as it used to be.

Now, even if you lose the 50 base texts, you will continue to be able to send and receive MMS messages, once again.

Anyone else notice this?

@darlicious  care to look into this?

BTW, not sure if it related but there seems to be a trade-ff that occurred. This seems to coincide with another recent system change... that MMS messages are no longer registering in the Self-Serve Usage log, apparently by design (see this thread for more on this topic:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/Anyone-else-notice-MMS-messages-NOT-getti...)

Agreed. Good points!

I have been on this forum and with PM for years, and with multiple $13 50/50 plans, as I have commented on this many many times for all kinds of reasons. Surely I know full well about other plans... 

I'm not looking for alternatives. I am sharing my knowledge to benefit anyone else that still has this or other similar plans. And has been pointed out, one advantage of this plan is the access to full 4G data.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

@pm-smayer97- YMMV. That was not my experience the last time I ran out of texts.

I do so wish oracles would not spout incorrect information or fallacious opinions. They should know better. The 50/50 plan is not obsolete wrt to still being on full speed 4G LTE add-on data. As soon as one changes to the current minimal plan then one loses full speed data. If that matters to one. With the $5 add-on the 50 minutes doesn't really matter. The only "obsolete" part that might tempt people to the $15 plan is texting. I can still get by with 1. dual sim, 2. MMS, 3. voip app. So for 2 accounts and basic rewards I'm spending $16 for 100 total minutes, 100 outgoing texts and full speed 4G LTE data. I still have many gigs of free data and thousands of free minutes. Then one might have other rewards or longer loyalty.

Well, that only works if you only have one phone to manage. I manage multiple accounts. Without this logging, I lose visibility and a record. There are other reasons to have this info in the log. 

@softech wrote:

So, basically, if you are low on SMS, then keep at least 1 SMS on your account and start sending everything on MMS (add a pic, add a emoticon to make it MMS)

thanks for the tips @pm-smayer97 

But what if somebody sends you a text or google does those phantom text?  At the end of the day, $2 more gets you unlimited text, double minutes and some data.  The old $10 plan was obsoleted in all ways with the price increase.  

Yes, as per my OP, this applies to limited texting plans. And NO, unlimited MMS texting still works.

Meow
Mayor / Maire

@pm-smayer97 wrote:

Turns out that if you have a base plan with limited texting (SMS)

All current plans have unlimited texting (SMS/MMS) so that trick is valid for grandfathered 50/50 plan only. But somebody mentioned a while ago that 50/50 plan cannot send MMS anymore (or it is limited to 50). Search Help for further details.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

I am not seeing MMS being recorded in the usage history as well.  I don't know if RCS has anything to do with it.  At the end of the day, I don't really care much about a log for an unlimited usage item that I have own logs of right in the phone and it is backed up by google 1 all the time.  

Caveat and reminder: Data has to be turned on both on the sending phone and the receiving phone for MMS to work. Otherwise, the message expires if not retrieved by the receiving phone (typically 24-48 hours) but I believe varies by carrier.

BUT the good news is you do NOT need a data plan active for it to work either. 

Caveat... if you do have a data plan, it does use up some of your data (but very little).

@pm-smayer97 wrote:

@softech wrote:

So, basically, if you are low on SMS, then keep at least 1 SMS on your account and start sending everything on MMS (add a pic, add a emoticon to make it MMS)

Yes.... even simpler... just add a subject line... Can be as simple as adding a "." [period] or make the subject line part of your message.

Or even better, turn on the Subject line so it is always available in your texting app so you never forget to use it. We tend to send all messages via MMS. 

@softech wrote:

Yes.... even simpler... just add a subject line... Can be as simple as adding a "." [period] or make the subject line part of your message.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

Need Help? Let's chat.