cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone else getting sick of using a budget service like Public Mobile?

nosha
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Anyone else kinda sick of this budget mobile service and lack of efficient customer support? Tried to upgrade my phone package to a promotion over the weekend but doesn't seem to want to work. I really think I'm done using this low-budget mobile service. I'll just pay the little extra money to Telus instead for 100GB and less of this forum nonsense when things don't work. Ciao.

17 REPLIES 17

rodneyyap
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

You get what you pay for. Personally I am very happy with PM. I always get the answers I need from Community. I hardly ever call for Tech Support anyway. I have a Rogers phone from work and I find their Tech Support seriously deficient. You are always on hold for long periods and they drain you of wasted time and energy.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@srlawren, yes those are what I saw as well. [...]  To me that is a lot of extra money and that isn't what PM is about.

@ShawnC13 yeah it's kind of apples to oranges.  I would bet that even though PM and Telus Mobility are in the same Telus family, that there isn't a lot of cross-shopping between the two.  I get that you have had little issue with PM and many have had little issue--same with me (until I left for Koodo in...2018? 2019? I forget now) and a couple of family members that still use PM.  On the other hand, some people seem to have nothing but issues!

But yeah, it's a lot of extra money.  Depending on people's budgets and needs however, it might not be that difficult to rationalize.  A lot of us are mobile-only and really really depend on our mobile service.  If that's you and you can reasonably afford it without hardship, then it might make sense for the extra peace of mind--particularly if you're one of the folks that seems to run into frequent issues with PM.  It's really not a linear value-for-the-money scaling, but if that reliability and ease of access to help is important enough and you can afford it, it might be worthwhile.

Again, all depends on budget, preferences, personal requirements, and tolerance for downtime/waiting for help.  

Koodo might be a viable middle ground, though on the forums there I also routinely see people complaining about not getting scheduled callbacks from customer service and so on.  I think if you want that top-tier availability, you unfortunately need to pay top-tier pricing.  Koodo has been great to me in the time I've been there and I have no interest in leaving any time soon.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

I am very happy with PM service and support. Looking at mentioned Telus plans I would never get mobile phone. Like ever!

Of course, everybody is different and has different needs. I do not use phone to live on Internet. I do not call USA ever. Thus what PM provides for plan I have is just perfect!

As for support, Community is here and very appreciated (by some of us). Account issues I had were dealt promptly by friendly agents so no complains there either. But as always YMMV (your mileage may (or might) vary) like with everything in life and service provided.

Tsawwassen
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

It seems that you upset because of the good deals.  Give the mouse a cookie and it will then ask for milk

@srlawren, yes those are what I saw as well.  I thought they might have been referring to these plans 

ShawnC13_0-1669828645621.png

But those are based on per person with a minimion of 4 people with that plan.  To me that is a lot of extra money and that isn't what PM is about.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@nosha I have a question what is a "little extra money" for the 100GB with Telus?

@ShawnC13 it might vary by region, but it seems at least here in BC, currently you get a choice of two very well equipped plans or some talk+text only and starter plans that probably aren't appealing to most.  Here's the 50 and 100GB plan options from Telus (BC):

srlawren_0-1669828422852.png

Mind you, the 100gb plan does also offer US roaming so if you travel there a lot it might be a savings (vs. the daily roaming rate).  But uhm, yeah, that's a lot of $$$!

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@nosha wrote:

Anyone else kinda sick of this budget mobile service and lack of efficient customer support? Tried to upgrade my phone package to a promotion over the weekend but doesn't seem to want to work. I really think I'm done using this low-budget mobile service. I'll just pay the little extra money to Telus instead for 100GB and less of this forum nonsense when things don't work. Ciao.

Over 6 years with PM and only a couple of issues that were dealt with quickly.  @nosha I have a question what is a "little extra money" for the 100GB with Telus?

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Tsawwassen
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

In the past we had plans with Rogers and Bell. A couple of years ago we switched over to PM. First of all there is no need for any one  to regularly need help. However when the need arises we much prefer the quick and efficient PM system of creating a ticket and in writing explaining the problem to CS agents. 

PM suits me just fine. It provides essential service and is a perfect emergency phone and service to have.

From my experience agents provide more than decent service and I was NEVER left with questions or support unanswered in a timely manner.

If you are always on a run to get best bang for the buck this is not service for you. Existing customers rarely get any promo deals (this last few months were exception and all kudos to PM) so idea is to get plan you think will work the best for you and stick with it.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@nosha 

I find customer support pretty efficient but you can certainly run into some CSA's who have no idea what they are talking about. It's advisable to consult the community first before dealing with customer support.....not to just recieve the links for SIMon and private messaging but to find out the ins and outs and be armed with the truth before asking for customer support.

I have one account that has ticked along without issue (except for that 30% rate hike!!) for over 3 years and a second account that has had several weird and/or wonderful glitches occur to it over the past 3 years some of which have been rather frustrating to deal with but I'm willing accept the glitches that occur with my service and the nightmare of the new self serve accounts when I pay $0 on the first account and $0 on the second account. 

nosha

That's exactly one of my gripes. You always need to be trying to hawk a good deal here, rather than just offering one you can lock into. When they do have these promotions, they end up getting overwhelmed, or screw up the promo like the $35 one is currently. I would rather wait on hold for a bit of time to speak to someone, than wait 48+ hours for someone working gratis to "hopefully" fix the issue. 

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

It's nice the marketplace offers choice.  I am sure some really hate this service and some really love it.  As consumers we should always remain loyal to our wallet and act accordingly.  Anyway I am here for the long haul.  

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@nosha   good choice to go to Telus if you like the network

There is no one model fits all support.  Live support is good, on paper.  But think about those long on hold time and the music you have listened.  So, many times, I got to listen to the music for a full hour, talked to a support, then he told me he need to transfer me, another hour of music.  Then I was talking to someone and for some reason, the phone got hung up

So, there is good and bad with different support models.  

hope you like your Telus service

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@nosha  3 plus years with 2 lines, upgraded, downgraded, upgraded again, bought and used US roaming, purchased add ons for data and minutes, never had an issue with the service. Any account issues were handled promptly (ie: same day lol). PM is very clear when you sign up that all customer service is online. It's not for everyone for sure but I do like the low prices and the fact that I can ditch the service at any time. Plus I am under the old rewards system and save a minimum of $7 / month on one account and $5 on the second.

hycm53
Mayor / Maire

@nosha wrote:

No, PM is very good for me. 

First clear caches and cookies, then always use private or incognito mode browsers, because PM website has caches issues.

ThatPug

You did sort of answer the question yourself though:  Probably the biggest perk of the Public etc version of mobile is the ability to just drop the service or change it.  Yes it's absolutely frustrating in instances like that 35$/20 gig thing last week, but that feels like it's more the cel industry itself more than anything else.  I got my first cel with them earlier this month with the 40$/17 gig deal and I'm very likely going to just shift to the utter barebones package until such a time as I actually need more cel service, again the big advantage feels like it's not being locked into an annual contract and being more maneuverable with your service options.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@nosha 

We get it.   It's not for everyone. 

Much of the time clearing one's cache and cookies and logging in under an incognito tab will solve those kinds of issues.

Need Help? Let's chat.